• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight ~ Overpowered?

B1ah

Smash Rookie
Firstly this guy has insane air recovery which makes him hard as hell to knock out, very very low delay for all moves, fastest character in the game, easily spamable air attacks such as uair and with his multiple air hops makes it easily abusable, and for his speed his power insane. His range is also great giving his speed. Neutral A combo has decent range both in front and behind him.

Best combo potential of any character

His B moves are great, sure he doesn't have range attacks but they still kick ***, his NB and Side B is awesome for recovery and has decent damage and knock back, and they a pain against a lot of characters and not easy to counter. His up+b has insane knock back when it connects and if done high enough you can literally go from one end of final destination to the other and still go high enough to be able to grab the edge. Not surprising seeing as the creator of MK was the creator of Brawl as well. Anyways don't you think they went a little overboard here with MK?

mrk

Smash Cadet
His up+b has insane knock back when it connects and if done high enough you can literally go from one end of final destination to the other and still go high enough to be able to grab the edge.

Well, not to rain on our parade, but Meta Knight can actually take off from one end of Hyrule Temple, arrive at the other end, and fly back to where he started without ever touching the ground :).

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Everyone's got weaknesses and meta has his. Snake can counter meta with good camping skills. Marth can also if the player is smart enough and dosent try and rush meta down with speed but with correct spacing.

rofa

Smash Journeyman
yeah i agree with you. i believe MK is over powered, but only slightly. in my mind there would be one, simple way to balance him: add delay to all his moves, lol. seriously though, he is simply able to attack too quickly. however, he does have difficulty killing, especially if the opponent understands how the up-b works. i think that is one of the things that is really working to meta knights advantage right now, the fact that people just dont seem to understand the range of that up b yet. still, meta is definitely top tier imo

StealthFighterX

Smash Journeyman
Up-b as a kill move should be used out of shield, or a reversed one to intercept ones recovery. Its easy to bait someone into running into a shielding meta only to eat shuttleloop. Until meta can have a easier time beating marth i wont believe meta is overpowered.

Shears

Smash Master
MK is a little overpowered, his main downside is he wicked light and can be KOed pretty quick. hes definately top tier and snake is the only character who should give your MK a big problem. marth is not good against MK, if anything MK is a counter to marth. MK has longer ranged attacks, better speed and recovery, can rack up more damage, better KO moves (unless youre hit by marths tipper). MK can easily edgehog marth. MK also has better priority.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
i agree with some of your points but it thing that he has plenty to balance him out
1. his smashes do some of the lowest damage of any character and his Fsmash has quite a bit of start up lag. over all his attacks have low power
2. he is not the fastest character in the game, in fact he has below average air speed.
3. campers can give him quite a bit of trouble if they know what their doing.
meta is good but i dont thing he's overpowered, it all depends on the skill of the player and how well the opponant can counter meta knights skills.

mangodurban

Smash Journeyman
there are many over powered characters. I wreck metaknight everytime with game and watch. Constant d air and fair until 80% and then dash upsmash. Kills them at 80 along with his dsmash and f smash, try it out.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
yea one of meta's biggest weaknesses is his light statue making him easy to KO

showmeyagoose

Smash Cadet
holy **** can people stop with these threads
NO metaknight isnt broken or overpowered...do you realize how badly he gets beaten by king ddd?
he has no range, thats his weakness, and no kill moves. you should know this by now.

king ddd also has many midair jumps, not even half an hour ago i fAir WOP'd a skilled metaknight player with ddd, he is very light and easy to ko.
he isnt overpowered....hes balanced, like everyone else in this game!!!!

ollenberger121

Smash Apprentice
i think most of the reason that people think MK is so overpowered is because he is a very well developed and very fast offense character. many players cant/don't know how/don't want to play defensively.... a defensive player will give MK troubles. this is the same reason why snake can be a problem NOT BECAUSE HE CAN CAMP BUT BECAUSE OF HIS DEFENSE.

Kayzee

Smash Journeyman
Meta Knight isn't overpowered. He is fast, has quick but weak attacks, a few killing moves, and is VERY lightweight. Knock him up to knock him out.

Shentao

Smash Cadet
I don't believe metaknight is overpowered, because of his lack of kill moves, and the fact that Fox at least can K.O. him off the top at 82% I believe. on a side note, Kayzee, have you ever played CoH?

EDIT: Sorry bout the mini thread-jack there, but I used to play and knew someone with the name you have that also played.

Gill

Smash Journeyman
NO metaknight isnt broken or overpowered...do you realize how badly he gets beaten by king ddd?
he has no range, thats his weakness, and no kill moves. you should know this by now.

king ddd also has many midair jumps, not even half an hour ago i fAir WOP'd a skilled metaknight player with ddd, he is very light and easy to ko.
Overpowered =/= Able to own everybody in the game.

Overpowered = Able to have a distinct advantage against a big majority of the characters in the game.

Which he does.

Everybody isn't balanced in the game.

Shut up.

TyranEX

Smash Rookie
Meta knight doesn't have anything overwhelmingly overpowered, nor does he have a distinct advantage over most of the characters; what it comes down to is skill basically.

For example, his speed can be countered by projectiles, his mach tornado can blow past most projectiles, but the top of the tornado and running away can mess it up until mach tornado stops which your then open. Oh yeah, don't forget the fact that with all that momentum you build up you can get too into it until it's to late, then when you have too much damage: dead.

Also, ever try to versus a quality Ike, Bowser, or Pit player? They can counter Meta knight's speed with a good defensive game, playing smart, and generally not allowing themselves to play Meta knight's game. The fact that Meta knight is suited towards aggressive offense puts the player at a disadvantage towards defensive minded players.

Even though this is my first post, I've played him since day one and no else I've ever seriously used, so I'd say the only way Meta knight is overpowered is when a player has momentum. Cause when he has momentum it's very, very hard to stop a Meta knight player.

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
Meta knight doesn't have anything overwhelmingly overpowered, nor does he have a distinct advantage over most of the characters; what it comes down to is skill basically.

For example, his speed can be countered by projectiles, his mach tornado can blow past most projectiles, but the top of the tornado and running away can mess it up until mach tornado stops which your then open. Oh yeah, don't forget the fact that with all that momentum you build up you can get too into it until it's to late, then when you have too much damage: dead.

Also, ever try to versus a quality Ike, Bowser, or Pit player? They can counter Meta knight's speed with a good defensive game, playing smart, and generally not allowing themselves to play Meta knight's game. The fact that Meta knight is suited towards aggressive offense puts the player at a disadvantage towards defensive minded players.

Even though this is my first post, I've played him since day one and no else I've ever seriously used, so I'd say the only way Meta knight is overpowered is when a player has momentum. Cause when he has momentum it's very, very hard to stop a Meta knight player.
i agree
all you have to do is block or dodge his attacks and he's pretty much helpless. even the tornado and be blocked or dodged.

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
I play a defensive Pit, and my friend plays an Offensive Meta, and I tell you everything in this thread about that is true. All i have to do is Shield grab any non aerial, pop in an arrow when there is distance and avoid coming on Meta from above and I can control the fight.

He's trying now to play a counter-defensive against me, trying to predict when i will dodge or avoid and try to catch me and its making him do worse against me.

I would say something about the Snake versus Meta matchups my roomate and he have but since the Snake plays aggressive (using a similar strat from his Samus Melee days) and gets rocked by the Meta.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
noticed how everything in your statement dealt with close range attakcs? Meta-Knight can't hurt you if that sword can't touch you. I'm sure it's already been said but jsut keep the distance a bit and you'll have a better chance.

xJin678

Smash Cadet
I'm tired of hearing about Metaknight having no kill moves. This is only true ONLY if the player punishes the opponent (Dsmash for example) at fairly low/mid percentages. If you save a move like Dsmash at a fairly high percentage, it'll be deadly.

Browny

Smash Hater
Firstly this guy has insane air recovery which makes him hard as hell to knock out, very very low delay for all moves, fastest character in the game, easily spamable air attacks such as uair and with his multiple air hops makes it easily abusable, and for his speed his power insane. His range is also great giving his speed. Neutral A combo has decent range both in front and behind him.

Best combo potential of any character
hmmmm

hes not the fastest character in the game, well behind quite a few, both on ground and in the air (by a lot). his power is the opposite of insane. consider pikachu, probably faster than MK and thunder can easily KO most characters at 70%, fmsash at around 80%. and MK has very low combo potential, just like almost everyone else except maybe IC, sonic, lucario, diddy and falco. sure he can hit the enemy many times before they hit him, but its nothing certain like true combos where nothing the enemy can do will save them. consider chain grabs + throws which lead into quick aerials for many characters.

hes no where near overpowered. yes hes very good but not to the point where he becomes cheap to use.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
No Meta Knight is not overpowered lets think of it this way:

Every RPG/ MMORPG is known to have a system based around status such as...
Phys. Power (Strength of physical attacks)
Speed (the Speed of the character)
Defense (Defense against physical attacks)
Intelligence (strength of magic attacks)
Magic Defense (defense against magical attacks)
Vitality (health points)

Then the status is divided according to the character's job/ class

Lets say the job Valkyrie...
Valkyrie is known for their extremely high speed and their moderate physical attack power. Then Valkyrie users combine their speed with their moderate attack power to basically become something like a machine gun and attacks rapidly at the speed that looks a barrage of attacks that look a lot like a blur (they use twin blades and lances). However a downside to this speed demon of death is that they are extremely easy to KO in most cases 3-4 hits, they have no long range to attack from the distance, no spells to cast (cept a bunch of attack and speed buf spells and a few close range skills/techniques), since they focus so much on their speed and has moderate attack + vitality they forfeit every other status. This occupation excels at PK- ing (Player Killer) at 1 vs. 1 but they suck at Wars where there is a lot of people.

Now Meta Knight works a lot like the Valkyrie...
In brawl the conversion would be:

Phys. Power (strength of close combat attacks)
Speed (speed of character)
Defense -> Girth (the resistance to being flown off) <----l
Intelligence -> Projectiles (strength of long range mojo) l
Magical Defense ---------------------------------------l
Vitality (there is none)

Like the Valkyrie, Meta Knight is fast (not the fastest but fast nevertheless), moderate attack power, has no ranged attacks, and dies really easily...

Meta Knight is balanced due to his lack of:
girth, extremely powerful attack (his FS is pretty weak), long range attacks, meteor smash (foot stool doesn't count)

Meta Knight can be portrayed as overpowered since he has spectacular recovery, multi- hit/ moderate powered attacks, good speed, and high priority

But its really the lack of girth that makes Meta Knight a fallible character since his 80-90% is equivalent to a normal character's 100- 120% damage

SinceSSB64

Smash Rookie
If MK had projectiles, more endurance or even more killing power, he'd be unstoppable...but he doesn't have any of those. Some of the heavies (especially Snake or Wolf) have an advantage over him. Even the best MK player is forced to whittle away at an opponent's HP with quick, low-power attacks before busting out an arsenal of limited KO moves.

A good MK is a scary sight but his glaring weaknessess mean that he isn't overpowered.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Wurd...

Its strange though some times... you would naturally think light weights are > then heavy weights but its diferent now...

hmmmm...

someone needs to make a chart like fire beats nature where nature beats water where water beats fire in a SSBB ver.

Onichi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OniXiion
Wurd...

Its strange though some times... you would naturally think light weights are > then heavy weights but its diferent now...

hmmmm...

someone needs to make a chart like fire beats nature where nature beats water where water beats fire in a SSBB ver.
well we already have a match-up chart in the works.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=157979
If this isnt what your looking for Terranrox, then it will eventually lead to your Rock Paper Scissors flow chart

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
I just wonder what it have killed them to put maybe any bit of lag between his moves, not to mention he has priority over many attacks.

GodotAA

Smash Ace

this guys an idiot. porbalby one reasonw hy hes banned.

But allin all the dedede metaknight match up is relatively even. I dont play dedede but ive done the match up several times.

and the fact that metaknight can kill any character at 40+ percent is just hilarious

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
When you guys say *overpowered* half of you mean in 3 stock no item matches, and half of you mean FFA items final smashes the works matches.

You guys should clarify.

And in my opinion, Meta Knight is very well endowed for tournament play, but not so well off in FFAs.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
...... Are you kidding me? D:

Pfft. It's true MK is beyond tough in the hands of a very good player, but isn't every character the same? All of them have a few things that makes them better or worse against other characters. Me, I don't really like how MK works, but I LOVE the character. He's always been the most bad*** of all of Kirby's game personalities, it makes sense how MK would have a very appealing moveset... Same as Marth, Fox, C.Falcon, Snake, and Sheik (examples, they're not all of the people in the list). These characters are appealing to the players, so their designs are based on what people like about them. MK has always been the fast ************ who had the awesome bat wings and the hard-to-dodge tornado in MK's Revenge, so they designed a fast character who uses a sword... Bowser is a heavy, strong and slow Mario personality, so his character was designed around it... Mario has always tried to be an all-around balanced character in both ground and air, and that's what they tried incorporating in his moveset... So, each character has their own attacks that people will always curse at. Samus's camping and ranged attacks? Ganondorf's powerful punches and kicks? MK's speedy attacks and speedy... Speed? Remember to also look at their cons!

... However, I will admit it IS a ***** kicking him out of the stage as he can recover with the best of 'em... And his spammable uair and continuous jumps ARE unforgivable if you're caught in it... But designers can't foresee how players will use the characters while he game is being made, am I right?

B1ah

Smash Rookie
Well firstly Id like to point out that just because a character has a weakness against another character doesn't mean he is balanced because of that, iirc even in melee low tier characters had bad matchups against some of the higher tier characters. And while he has weaknesses, his strength more than compensate for his weakness, its not like some characters that are slow but pack a mean punch, meta knight is the fastest and is no slouch on range and his knockback is by no means as terrible as people make it out to be.

BluMilk

Smash Apprentice
wow after reading though about half these posts, i must say.....

Your all idiots.

Metaknight is far from balanced. Almost everything everybody mentioned about MK weaknesses are negated by MK speed of his ATTACKS, not his actual speed in the air or on the ground(which arent bad either).

That being said MK isnt Overpowered, he's top-tier. Same as G&W
and possibly Snake.

Class dismissed.

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
He attacks too fast, so cant be punished easily, and outpriotorize almost everybody. I know hes light but how are you suppose to smash him out if he recovers so quick from his attacks.

Mezna

Smash Cadet
OMG. MK is totally over-powered. I know I'm far from pro, but seriously!! It seems that anyone I use is either too slow or doesn't have enough range. "MK has no kill moves, lol" Ever think that sometimes that doesn't matter? Oh yeah, you can kil MK at 80%. IF YOU CAN HIT HIM. Sure, he can't kill you at 80%, but he can sure as hell get you to 120% easily. Insanely fast aerials and Dsmash, basically no lag after his dash attack... WTH! I try to use Marth, his atttacks have a little more range, but MK is fast enough to dodge and counter instantly. Spot dodge + Dsmash = downfall.

So far it seems like the best counters for MK I can find is Kirby, Falco, Fox, and sometimes Lucas. These are matches that I have BARELY won. I mean I basically have to use suicidal meteors to take him out sometimes. I haven't been able to try TL, Shiek, or Olimar, but I'm sure they'd work too.

Top Bottom