• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odinyte

Smash Rookie
I have played the game since launch, but I rarely played online, only with friends and such. I felt before reading tier lists on this site about a year ago, that MK was probably one of the worst characters in the game. I just recently picked him up and am smashing peoples faces in, he is very fast and so are his attacks, however.. I have questions and I don't know smash terms so bare with me.

Q1: When MK is above someone in the air, what is the best way to get to the ground safely? Or effectively attack downwardly? I find his down A in the air very crappy. And when I try it, I tend to get upward jump kicked or up A smashed, when coming down on someones head who is waiting on the ground. Majority of the chars I consider myself good with can come down on people with nice air moves. I tend to slide to the left or right of them and use his forward A or back A in the air, but that doesn't really protect me below.

Q2: His down B... I don't understand it :( I hate to say that, since I have played this game so long, but it's nothing like say, Ike/Marths down B counter. I always get hit using it, coming out of it, lol even feel like im getting hit while im vanished in it.

Q3: I tend to play my brother a lot, and he is the most defensive camper, playing chars like Wolf/Falco etc, most of the time just lasering and blocking as I come in for an attack, just to down A smash (sweep) me after he blocks my running attack. Besides grabbing (which I do a lot) any great way to smash a shield? Should I be using foward B and B tornado move more?

Please list the Q# your answering, it will help me see which are left unanswered. Or take the time and answer them all, thanks. Help me master the MK!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Please ask your questions in the MK question/answer thread next time.

q1: Jump and dair at the same time, space it properly, although this doesn't work vs some characters since they can beat it. You could also try gliding away and grab the ledge, then plank a bit until you see an opening and then get back on stage. dimensional cape works too.. but generally not the best option.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJg-hEVfrgA#t=0m08s this is kinda what I mean with dairs

q2: Don't bother using this as an attack.. You turn invisible on frame 13 but you don't even gain invincibility until frame 18 (this explains why you are getting hit even if you are "invisible") DC has god awful KB, and has a LOT of end lag.

q3: don't use forward b as a general attack either, it doesn't do that much damage, has a lot of end lag, and it's fairly easy to SDI out of if you're grounded. Very useful as a recovery, however.

Vs Falco you're gonna be dair camping a lot because you don't want to get grabbed. If he tries to hit you with a bair while you're dairing you can air dodge and then uair juggle him and even tornado juggle.

vs Wolf... Just tornado him everytime you see him jump lol.
If your brother shields a lot for no reason then just grab him a lot.

Also, don't be afraid to try out other characters. You might do even better as them.

Odinyte

Smash Rookie
Where can I find a list of Smash board terms :p nair? is dair down A in air? So the forward b, isn't all THAT useful? Better to just use tornado? He shields a lot when he seems coming at him, cause he knows I like to run up, dash attack or get close and sweep, which I sometimes instinctively do even if I know he will pop up a shield.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Where can I find a list of Smash board terms :p nair? is dair down A in air? So the forward b, isn't all THAT useful? Better to just use tornado? He shields a lot when he seems coming at him, cause he knows I like to run up, dash attack or get close and sweep, which I sometimes instinctively do even if I know he will pop up a shield.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=227773 Here's a list of the general ones.

The really basic ones are moves:
jab = neutral A move
ftilt = forward A move
dtilt = down A move
utilt = up A move
fsmash = forward smash attack
dsmash = down smash attack
usmash = up smash attack
da = dash attack
fair = forward aerial A move
bair = backward aerial A move
nair = neutral aerial A move
dair = down aerial A move
uair = up aerial A move

Drill Rush is a poor choice in approaching/attacking in general. Tornado has a lot of priority, and is one of the best moves in the game, but some people really know how to fight it well so don't spam stupidly.

If you KNOW that he's gonna do something based on your action, punish it. If you know he's gonna shield next, grab him. If you know he's gonna roll behind you, turn around and grab him/other option. Try to drop any bad habits.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
q1: The best way, depending on where you are, if you're high up, Dair camp to get down. Mid to low, you may was to tornado your way down, or head to a platform. You don't always have to head for the ground, keep your options open. Low, you want to airdodge to the ground, and probably hold your sheild depending on the situation. Or do a falling aerial, prefereibly nair, but if the opponent is in front, and you want to keep them at bay, you may seldomly want to use a falling Fair.

q2: His Down B, just don't use it, unlesss you have the audacity to shwo off with it like I do, lol. You may want to use it from time to time for recovery, btu only when you feel comfortable. Going diagonal with it is the typical recovery. But I'd say going below the edge and goign straight up is the safest. (Unless you're on FD, then you just want to Side/Up B, trust me.)

q3: Okie, for campyness, you want to tornado, when they approach, try a Nair OoS, or Up B OoS which work really well. You can also bait them with a Dsmash, or Fsmash, and Up B them afterward.

Don't listen to Kaffei, if he rolls behind you DSMASH YER @$$ OFF. /jkjkjk

Odinyte

Smash Rookie
lol thanks. Yeah if he rolls behind me I always Dsmash. His Dsmash is very fast, not as fast as ROBS, but very similar. Least IMO. His defensive strat is to laser-laser-laser, and I of course, have to jump over it and come in, where he shields up. If he is falco he might even foward B across and run away. Sometimes hard to land near and then grab, but I do grab him a lot. In close range, I instinctively use jab, and I think at this point, until I'm better, MK's jab while fast has like 0 range. Even if it hits, likely to get Fsmashed. I like MK's dash attack though, I didn't realize how fast he runs, can be very aggresive with him.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
MKs jab is really bad. I wouldn't use it. Try Ftilt instead.

When I play campy players like that, I jump over the lasers and then start my tornado in the air. It will usually hit through their shield. Try that next time he throws his shield up and you're in the air.

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
If he tries to side b, you can still tornado and catch him out of it. (Falco)

And Zozefup is right, don'r use MKs jab. It's really bad.

Unless, it's like, a friendy or something, I noticed that if someone is above you, and no air dodging or throwing out an aerial you can jab them, and regardless of their SDI they will get comeone followed up from it, whether it be an Utilt, Dsmash, or Ftilt or something. But I still wouldn't use it. lol

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
Questions answered? Tight.

Keep them in the Q/A for now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom