• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Match-Up Discussion 12 | Yoshi

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Welcome to our Yoshi match-up discussion! :4metaknight:

"Yoshi!"

Discuss character strengths, weaknesses, ground-game, air-game, and all things Dinosaurs vs Bats here.

Got questions, opinions, or suggestions you want to share about other characters? Head over to the Meta Knight Match-Up Discussion Directory Thread or the Meta Knight Social/General Discussion; we're more than happy to help you.​

Rules, guidelines, and tips:

1. Be respectful of each other. No insults, no trolling, no flaming, or any of that nonsense.
2. Be aware that some of the discussions can and will be old, so don't call out someone for "wrong" data if that post was referring to say, patch 1.03 stuff.
3. Be impartial; learn to see things from other sides. So, don't boast about all the advantages. Notice weaknesses and strengths from both parties.
4. Stay on topic.
5. Have fun.
Frame Data to expand your mind!:
|:4metaknight:Hit Frames|:4yoshi:Hit Frames
Jab | 6, HYAYAYAYAYAYA, 30 | 3-4, 10-14
Dash Attack | 7-11 | 10-12, 13-20
F-Tilt | 6, 12, 17 | 5-7 (Normal), 6-8 (High), 6-8 (Low)
U-Tilt | 8-10, 8-14, 11-14 | 8-15
D-Tilt | 3-4 | 8-10
Side Smash | 24 | 14
Up Smash | 8, 12, 17 | 11-13, 14-16
Down Smash | 4, 9 | 7-8, 22-23
N-Air | 6-7, 8-20 | 3-4, 5-11, 12-25
F-Air | 9, 12, 15 | 16-20
B-Air | 7-8, 13-14, 20-21 | 11, 17, 25-26
U-Air | 6 | 5-6
D-Air | 4 | 26-41
Grab | 7-8 | 14-24
Dash Grab | 9-10 | 11-21
Pivot Grab | 9-10 | 10-19

ItoI6

Smash Journeyman
dash attack-tornado never works because he can super armor jump out of it so you should always just upsmash. sourspot dash attack upair footstool works from 0-10% and because of his floaty nature hes one of the few characters you can lock pretty consistently. sourspot dash attack knocks him so high even at 0 that upsmash whiffs afterwards, so if you dont want to go for fancy footstool stuff just fullhop nair and drift the opposite direction from yoshi so you dont get punished on hit. uptilt bad. also he has a tendency to barely airdodge out of dash attack shuttle loop combos, so i usually try and just jump up to bait airdodge and up-air-upb for early kills.

mk can upb oos yoshi right after he completes jab 2 on shield, so if you expect it or he does it continuously you can get a good punish. yoshi players sometimes try and get back from ledge via drop down double jump airdodge past you, but if you just sit in shield in front of their neutral get up position to cover that option, then you can also reverse oos upb to cover that as well. be careful not to upb too soon or he'll double jump armor through the 1st hit of upb.

the only way yoshi can really reliably kill is by catching landings, so if you're able to get down safely its going to be really tough for him. if youre in kill range i would just sit in shield because he has no kill throws or setups. and if youre scared you can always jump over past the ledge and upb down from below safely every time. if he insists on going for dash grabs and neutral bs to get anything started then its gonna get predictable real fast, and youre pretty much always in the game because you can scam him with early airdodge read upair-upb kills with extreme rage if he builds too much damage past his upsmash-upair kill percents. just always keep that in mind and dont go yolo.

smashville helps a lot when landing so you pretty much always want to go there as a starter, and bf might actually be better than fd though i still dont like it. i think yoshi wins by a bit but not much.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
It seems down throw/dash attack/forward throw --> FH Fair --> Shuttle loop doesn't work on Yoshi because of his second jump.

Ftilt is really good for beating his sh aerials,footstool combo's are available but at very strict percents as Ito said. Never airdodge Yoshi's throws because that can always lead to a harder punish or death, we got multiple jumps with the 2nd fastest horizontal aerial mobility out of all the multi jumpers.

If you feel unsafe with jumping you can jump and airdodge at the same time. If Yoshi DA's you just turn around and DA back, it has alot of bust movement even greater than ours but because of this its going to 99% cross up your shield.

I'll say its 60:40 in :4yoshi: favor, slight disadvantage for us IMO. Anyone got advice against a Yoshi that throws eggs constantly near the ledge? For example the game starts and he runs to the ledge, throws an egg an he grabs the ledge instantly.

I usually get into mid range or outside a potential punish such as jumping from the ledge into fair or dair.

arncakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
arncakes
This doesn't just apply to Meta Knight, but Yoshi is much harder to fight on wifi, because of all of his super fast moves and campability with eggs. So, in that case, it's definitely in Yoshi's favor. I haven't played many Yoshis in friendlies, but I can agree that his armored jump is difficult to deal with.

:4metaknight:+:4yoshi: = :shaker:

Anyone know if dimensional cape is useful to avoid/punish egg throws?

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Because Yoshi is a very good combo breaker character, I think Yoshi has a lot of advantages on us. With all of Meta Knight's combo setups and stuff like that, he can nair or jump out of it.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yoshi can't break our combo's, he only breaks it if YOU mess it up. Perfect example is uair strings which beat his nair because disjoints.

Top Bottom