• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight. Frame traps and gimp setups?

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I hear that MK's greatest strength is his ability to gimp and his plethora of frame-traps.

Anyone care to elaborate on that for me so I can practice them?

So far, all I've done is abuse the fact that MK's normals are un-contestable and combo into Up-B.

Share with me your secrets, MK mains.

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
most of your tech chases are unescapable if done correctly (cuz of boost grab) his downsmash can also cover 2 options (or all in the corner) u can first hit ftilt into another first hit f-tilt if they DI in at like higher percent and when they DI out u can just downsmash for the kill. Rising upair to falling upair works at lower percents. At higher percents you should chain 1 or 2 upairs but try to finish with nair/bair/upB/downB (downB would be best if they DI away, but it might be hard to hit) In terms of gimps, its actually not that easy since a lot of characters in PM can just recover from super far. They can always go for the high recovery, and MK cant really hit hard enough in the air unless with Bair (but bair takes 10 frames til hitbox comes out) so if your recovery is even slightly avoidable it will be very hard.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ JeezImSoBored JeezImSoBored almost mentioned all of it, just adding that up-air -> up-air or up-air -> nair are frame traps of platform tech if they don't tech, the first hit will hit them, if they do, the second. Many frametraps work like that. Also nair from the ledge is a great #interception when opponents are recovering. Time it so you have still invincibility.

AlmightySo

Smash Apprentice
Usually i downthrow and depending on DI i DC or techchase. Gimp wise i think hitting them with an upair might sound weird but when they are off stage use up air for hitstun then hit them with bair or back of nair.

Top Bottom