• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Forum To-Do List

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Hey guys,

@Katakiri does quite a bit for us here at boards and these days seems pretty busy. We can't always rely on one person to take care everything so I want to take over some responsibilities here so we can keep things moving. Because let's face it: these boards are the ONLY accurate source of information for our character. As one of the most active members here both tournament-wise and forum-wise, I figure I'd be a good fit to assist him in running things. So what I want to know is:

What do you want to see on these forums?

I know we definitely need a finished guide (which is being completed by @ Bonk! Bonk! ) and a FAQ/Index thread (on my to-do list) but what else do we need? A stage analysis thread? More matchup discussion? How can we keep our small but pristine boards efficient and current?

@ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @ItoI6 @ Ulevo Ulevo @ Superbat Superbat @ Oblivion129 Oblivion129 @ LostinpinK LostinpinK
@Slither2Hunter

If you frequent these boards, your opinion is highly valued. Thank you for your input in advance!

- Technology

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Don't forget Ulevo is starting a MASSIVE thread documenting every single combo we have against every single character. That's gonna take a loooooong time.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
Good idea.
Here are things on the top of my head for our board :
-Matchup discussion against the remaining of the relevant characters. By relevant, I mean top / high / mid tier characters. But since we can't rely on anyone but ourselves, we need at least someone who has a great deal of experience against said character. No need to discuss vanilla DK if no one plays against it, since we can't start a discussion based on DK players opinions, we'd just lose time correcting their misconceptions.
-A video compendium. Aka Ito's games against each character. Once my finals are over I might work on that.
-Later, MU summaries.

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
A little hurt I wasn't tagged Tech, but:

For people who've lurked here, we all have a sense of MK's best stages, so that could be put up on the FAQ. We could add a more detailed section saying what techniques you could use on said stages (tornado-ing off ledges on Battlefield, sharking Halberd/Delfino/Congo) but I don't think they need their own threads.

As we become more experienced in matchups, we should return to older threads and continue to talk about the matchups. The game isn't that old yet, and how we approach the game can change in its lifespan. Summaries like LostinPink said would also be nice once we get a certain number of replies.

Speaking of matchups, we do need to talk about customs in these threads. While some of us don't like to play with them, many tourneys are enforcing them atm, so we should discuss it. Characters that would be useful to discuss are Palutena, DK, and Villager who completely change their playstyle when customs are on.

And TEAMS. How could I forget? Strategies, playstyles, partners, etc.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

A little hurt I wasn't tagged Tech, but:

For people who've lurked here, we all have a sense of MK's best stages, so that could be put up on the FAQ. We could add a more detailed section saying what techniques you could use on said stages (tornado-ing off ledges on Battlefield, sharking Halberd/Delfino/Congo) but I don't think they need their own threads.

As we become more experienced in matchups, we should return to older threads and continue to talk about the matchups. The game isn't that old yet, and how we approach the game can change in its lifespan. Summaries like LostinPink said would also be nice once we get a certain number of replies.

Speaking of matchups, we do need to talk about customs in these threads. While some of us don't like to play with them, many tourneys are enforcing them atm, so we should discuss it. Characters that would be useful to discuss are Palutena, DK, and Villager who completely change their playstyle when customs are on.

And TEAMS. How could I forget? Strategies, playstyles, partners, etc.
DAMMIT I knew I forgot someone important. I'm at work so i was pressed for time. My b. -_-

Also good suggestions.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
The problem with MUs is the lack of knowledgeable members outside this board, more time they haven't played mid-high or high level MKs outside FG.

Stage list won't be good for us since we know MK doesn't suck on any stage, guess it'll be helpful for lurkers. Deflino is a very abusable stage that no one bans because 'MK is only cheap on helbard'.

FAQ thread would be great to lower the same questions being spammed every so often.

ZTD | TECHnology

I think at least discussing what kind of tactics we can abuse on each stage is at least worth the time to make the thread. There may not be people who know how good the trees of Duck Hunt are for us etc.

Also I'm gonna try to finish FAQ today.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
I like the idea of a Stage discussion thread. I think all of the Meta Knight "maining" information or just the good idea threads(i.e. the Up Throw Kill % and all by Ulevo) should be in a stickied thread so you dont have to look for it throughout the entire boards. Just makes it efficient for everyone.

EDIT: I LOVE the idea of a teams thread and maybe a character request discussion to see whether you are the support in the duo or more of the aggressor or something for example. I love the teams idea because I prefer playing teams over 1v1.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

I wouldn't mind a doubles discussion thread. I regularly place Top 1-4 in doubles in my scene and have a lot of experience/exposure.

Oh: I realized we don't have a tournaments result thread. I think if we're gonna try to prove to the world that MK is high tier, we need a documentation of results to prove it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Pretty much what @ Fye Fye said. About doubles, I know @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology and @ItoI6 have experience.

Something else that can be done is gathering @ItoI6's videos in the video thread and updating the first post so his videos can be in one post without needing to skim through all the pages. Edit: I managed to compile the videos of him that I found
We can also get ideas from other boards. I know the Link one is pretty well organized.

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Yeah we should have a proper results thread, where MK mains can pop into instead of posting results in the social. We can quote the past results and put it in the OP.

Make sure that ****s stickied because its vital that lurkers can just go to MK boards and find it without scrolling too much y'know.

And i also would like a doubles thread, i envy those who play doubles frequently and its good knowing MKs are going full force with a powerful partner aka Robin to our Batman.

@ Ffamran Ffamran
We already have a moveset thread its dead/not useful.

A thread dedicated to movement will most likely go down the same path. Dead.

Discussing among ourselves without other mains butting in sounds nice actually. From my exp discussing with other players hasn't been great, never have i witnessed brand new stuff for the MU. Either i learn it myself(already knew about ZSS flip jump stuff before that mod posted it) or members here guiding me. :[

EVERY MK knows that shuttle loop combo's out of down throw/forward throw. xD

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Not a Meta Knight main, but some suggestions: a move analysis thread. Every week, every other week, or every month, you all could discuss one move of Meta Knight. So, Uair might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but Uair's not everything. What could Utilt, Fair, Dair, Nair, Dimensional Cape, etc. do? There's always something to be found about moves like how the Fox players figured out about using pivot Ftilts in place of Dash Attack, the power of RAR Bair, or Megafox doing the whole jab, jab, reverse Utilt which is Fox's quickest jab mixup since Utilt is frame 3.

A thread dedicated to movement? When to walk, dash, short hop, how Meta Knight moves, can move, should move, shouldn't move, etc. I remember someone saying walking will be a future of the metagame and someone else mentioned people are just figuring out what Meta Knight's walk can do. For most characters, there is a noticeable difference between walking and running like Captain Falcon or Charizard, but for some characters like Falco and Brawl Wolf, there was little difference and some characters have fast enough walks like Marth, Lucina, Sheik, and Fox where walking is another useful movement option.

Last thing, stigma or misconceptions otherwise, I think it's good to discuss matchups with everyone, "relevant" or not. Who knows, maybe there will be some crazy dude with an insane Toon Link who murders everyone. Knowing at least how matchups function at a basic level is useful. Just discussing among yourselves of how Peach's moves work is good since you'll be aware of what her moves can do and maybe what combos she can do. So, for example, (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Mr. Game & Watch's Up Smashes make their heads invincible. Of those 5 characters only Luigi is the most common with Mario following, Wario isn't as common, but people believe he is a dangerous character nobody really plays and Dr. Mario and Mr. Game & Watch are the lower tier characters who have some strong players like Rice and GimR. Here's the thing, what if you didn't know Wario or Mr. Game & Watch had invincible Up Smashes? Sure, learning during the fight works, but I'd rather take the safer route of knowing before hand instead of challenging and losing a stock or taking unnecessary damage. And who knows, maybe discussing with other players could lead to spills like how ZSS can Flip Jump out of combos or something. Hi, Shaya. :p

Speaking of letting stuff spill, maybe it might be a thing to do. If everyone knew about something, the players of that character could learn more about it since not everyone uses Smashboards and players who don't play that character would end up scrambling to figure out how to counter it. That's if they know about it. I mean, people still don't know how to DI ZSS's Boost Kick and Pikachu's U-throw to Thunder properly - seriously, just DI left or right instead of eating a Thunder. Even players don't know how to use basic things about their character like aside from Katakiri and Ito, I don't see Meta Knights even knowing that Shuttle Loop can combo out of D-throw and F-throw or how Falco players still rely on D-throw to Dash Attack when you can tech it compared to chasing with a RAR Bair or using U-throw to Uair. Hell, people still think it's a good idea to challenge a freaking nuke when people should know by now, thank Abadango, that Hydrant comes down. Anyway, this could lead to cookie cutting as seen with countless Diddy, Luigi, Sheik, Mario, Captain Falcon, *insert character's name here* players, but for those good players who just aren't aware, it could push them up even further. Just some things I want to say.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
One thing I would like to see is for the front page of the video thread to be organized appropriately. It is fine for any random member to post video content in the thread, but the front page should be featuring videos from established Meta Knight players, and organized by date/patch. This way when people want to look for Meta Knight footage they can locate high quality content conveniently.

Last edited:

Superbat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Superbat3
Tag these threads. Ulevo's Combo Compendium (basically tag all of Ulevo's guide threads or combine them in one lol. )

Bonk's 0-deaths Guide (We should just make a general guide thread for MK) Itol's throw guide
- A combo video thread. Their pleasing to watch and get people hyped up for MK. Bonk's Combo Vid <--- hype af -----> Katakiri's combo video
That's all I got for now.

Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Not a Meta Knight main, but some suggestions: a move analysis thread. Every week, every other week, or every month, you all could discuss one move of Meta Knight. So, Uair might be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but Uair's not everything. What could Utilt, Fair, Dair, Nair, Dimensional Cape, etc. do? There's always something to be found about moves like how the Fox players figured out about using pivot Ftilts in place of Dash Attack, the power of RAR Bair, or Megafox doing the whole jab, jab, reverse Utilt which is Fox's quickest jab mixup since Utilt is frame 3.

A thread dedicated to movement? When to walk, dash, short hop, how Meta Knight moves, can move, should move, shouldn't move, etc. I remember someone saying walking will be a future of the metagame and someone else mentioned people are just figuring out what Meta Knight's walk can do. For most characters, there is a noticeable difference between walking and running like Captain Falcon or Charizard, but for some characters like Falco and Brawl Wolf, there was little difference and some characters have fast enough walks like Marth, Lucina, Sheik, and Fox where walking is another useful movement option.

Last thing, stigma or misconceptions otherwise, I think it's good to discuss matchups with everyone, "relevant" or not. Who knows, maybe there will be some crazy dude with an insane Toon Link who murders everyone. Knowing at least how matchups function at a basic level is useful. Just discussing among yourselves of how Peach's moves work is good since you'll be aware of what her moves can do and maybe what combos she can do. So, for example, (Dr.) Mario, Luigi, Wario, and Mr. Game & Watch's Up Smashes make their heads invincible. Of those 5 characters only Luigi is the most common with Mario following, Wario isn't as common, but people believe he is a dangerous character nobody really plays and Dr. Mario and Mr. Game & Watch are the lower tier characters who have some strong players like Rice and GimR. Here's the thing, what if you didn't know Wario or Mr. Game & Watch had invincible Up Smashes? Sure, learning during the fight works, but I'd rather take the safer route of knowing before hand instead of challenging and losing a stock or taking unnecessary damage. And who knows, maybe discussing with other players could lead to spills like how ZSS can Flip Jump out of combos or something. Hi, Shaya. :p

Speaking of letting stuff spill, maybe it might be a thing to do. If everyone knew about something, the players of that character could learn more about it since not everyone uses Smashboards and players who don't play that character would end up scrambling to figure out how to counter it. That's if they know about it. I mean, people still don't know how to DI ZSS's Boost Kick and Pikachu's U-throw to Thunder properly - seriously, just DI left or right instead of eating a Thunder. Even players don't know how to use basic things about their character like aside from Katakiri and Ito, I don't see Meta Knights even knowing that Shuttle Loop can combo out of D-throw and F-throw or how Falco players still rely on D-throw to Dash Attack when you can tech it compared to chasing with a RAR Bair or using U-throw to Uair. Hell, people still think it's a good idea to challenge a freaking nuke when people should know by now, thank Abadango, that Hydrant comes down. Anyway, this could lead to cookie cutting as seen with countless Diddy, Luigi, Sheik, Mario, Captain Falcon, *insert character's name here* players, but for those good players who just aren't aware, it could push them up even further. Just some things I want to say.
I actually did this, but I disappeared for awhile and the thread died. We can start it up again, but idk, i personally feel like most of us have a grip on MK's moveset and what to use each situation. The only thing that might be specfic is certain MU stuff like ledge get-up attacks beats ike up b, since bowser doesn't get set far from get-up attack we can punish missed tech with d-cape etc.

I think we need a thread directory. @ Ulevo Ulevo has made a bunch of threads of MK stuff and it being in one spot seems helpful. We can also put other stuff in their too.

ChronoMK

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2724-1012-7333
I feel that the biggest thing we could do is talk about the custom matchups. Having in depth style discussions identical to those we have for non-custom high tiers would be especially helpful. Because many can't get custom practice on FG, this is the best way to start understanding some of the more infuriating matchups like C Vilager or WindKong.

Top Bottom