• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Approach/Combo Options

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey fellow MK players. Let's discuss his approach options. What moves can we use to get in besides Dash attack and dash grab?

And has anyone found some decent combos BESIDES Dthrow into Fair or something like that?

Spoa

Smash Cadet
NNID
iSmashbro
3DS FC
2251-5709-7722
I often find myself approaching with dash attacks, dashing shield grab, and spaced fairs. Against certain characters like Robin I tend to come from above with jumping dairs and wait for them to drop their shield or use a move with a lot of ending lag so I can come in. At mid/high percentages I try to get in a nair from jumping dairs to get them off stage from (Or in the case of Little Mac, in the air at all).

You can follow the down throw --> fair chain with a tornado at lower percentages to get another free 10-14% if they try to air dodge to safety. Outside of that and the fair down tilt lock, I haven't found any notable combos that the opponent can't easily avoid unless you want to count uair juggle --> up-B.

Note that most of this came from laddering For Glory 1v1 so take it with grain of salt.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
In this game Bair is ages better than Fair.

Walkup-Tilt is not an option anymore. Neither is Nado pressure.

Grab is still good, but the reward is much lower.

Dimensional Cape is a nice fakeout. It's powerful now, so you can mindgame into making your opponent shield it but you don't perform the attack.

Shadow Blitz

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sectmk
Dash attack -> jump accordingly -> shuttle loop has gotten me many kos.

Dash attack > utilts(# of them weight dependant) is also good at low percents, you can follow it up by punishing landings or attempt a uair string.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
At low percentage:

Dash Grab -> DThrow -> Up B. Repeat for 40% damage.

Note that sometimes they evade one or both hits of Shuttle Loop. I still don't understand why sometimes they're flung close to you and other times they fly so far away from you when you finish a grab.

At mid percentage, maybe late:

DThrow -> Fair
Dash attack -> Fair

And nothing I like quite like sending them skyward and landing a Shuttle Loop to finish the job. I bait the airdodge before I go through with it.

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Yeah, the Dthrow knockback angle can be so random. I tested with Peach too, and from 100% to around 140%, Dthrow > UpB was a true combo. Then I try it on people later on, and it may just be the influence by character weight/DI/Vectoring, but it was impossible for me to combo it like in training mode.

Whenever I land a grab, I'll Dthrow a lot to get a feel for where they'll probably DI/VI their character to after the throw. I'll pursue them in the air to maybe try to get some free damage and condition them to airdodge whenever I come after them, so that I can punish it later on with a well-timed UpB.

Top Bottom