• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Messing up specials with the Pro Controller

Ultim8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ultim8Luis
3DS FC
4785-6835-4967
Ok, so I've been playing smash 4 for months and i still have the tendency for mess up the specials whan playing against somebody. For example: when i play Luigi, I do the Dthrow and the opponent then tends to go left due to directional influence, then to make a combo I jump to use DownB but instead it gives me sideB.
This just gets me fustrated because I keep losing matches because of it. Anyone knows a way to stop making these mistakes with the Pro Controller?

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Part of that unfortunately has to do with the way the analog stick on the pro controller (and in my experience the 3ds circle pad) works compared to the gamecube controller. The gamecube controller's shell actually has 8 edges around the analog stick and c-stick, almost "locking" it into place, whereas the pro controller/circle pad is a full circle. This can lead to messed up inputs from time to time.

So where do we go from here? This is coming from someone who uses either the pro or 2ds in tournaments. Obviously we don't wanna lose matches due to a messed up input, so we have one of two options.

A) If the pro controller feels the best for you, then practice being more methodical with directional inputs - I have improved on this over time but it takes some getting used to

B) If you're willing to switch up controllers but you don't have the gamecube adapter, I can still recommend one of the "wired fight pads" that hooks up to the wii remote as they both have the same surrounding octagon on the analog stick. I have the one by pdp and it works fine, it just takes a little getting used to because it's a little smaller than the actual gamecube controller. I've heard the hori one feels closer to the original and can't wait to try it out.

K.K.

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lumite
The gamecube controller's shell actually has 8 edges around the analog stick and c-stick, almost "locking" it into place,
One of the nicest things about the GC controller is those corners in the "circle" (octagon) of the control stick's well. In my experience with the pro-controller, it's really easy for the left stick to slide down resulting in my self-destruction or missing an input.

Now is the time to decide if you want to learn the controller or start over with the Gamecube's, once you get too used to one you are basically wasting muscle memory and time to go and learn the other or make changes if you've developed bad habits with one.

Like ItalianBaptist said, it's up to whether or not you want to stick with the controller and if you have the adapter. If you stick with the pro-controller you can practice hand exercises to be more precise in the training room, try another hotkey set up in the settings, etc. Maybe switching the right stick (c-stick equivalent) to specials could help. Try a lot of different options and don't immediately switch back because of comfort.

Top Bottom