• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merits of wavebounce fastfall lasers (WFL)

Gladiator

Smash Apprentice
Basically, me and a couple of my friends have been starting to think that Falco's laser isn't as good as it is in melee, due to damage and what not. With this in mind, I began to see what brawl tech could be applied to improve the laser game. The only thing that helped was WFL, as an easier version of retreating lasers. While its not the easiest, with some training I started to be able to hit it about 75% of the time. I'm still kind of a noob however, so I just wanted to ask if WFL has pros and cons I haven't started to consider yet, and if its worth actually using.

**Just to clarify, WFL means to reverse the laser in mid air and fastfall it, so you can run away while shooting lasers.**

pkblaze

Smash Apprentice
How is this different from retreating using a dash>shorthop>reversed SHL>FF in melee? Is that option not available in PM? Does wavebouncing give you more horizontal as you do this?

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
It bounces you back the way you came once you begin the laser, it reverse your momentum completely. So you dash away, SH, laser facing away, smash control stick towards them, then fast fall (or not), and it will reverse your momentum in midair. Like a single DD in the middle of shooting a laser.
It's not a replacement for retreating lasers, which are still possible in PM.

Nail.exe

Smash Cadet
Are you talking about wavebouncing as it's referred to in this video?

Either way, as long as you keep your distance, autocancel = safe when spaced properly. Momentum reversals such as b-reverse and wavebounce should make it a little bit safer, actually, due to being less predictable.
Idea: laser camp dance (using video definition of wavebounce).

Dash towards -> SHL -> Dash Away -> WBL, repeat.

Time to learn how to properly wavebounce.

Edit:

Ok, I went to the lab for a few minutes after I realized that the terminology in the video above isn't 1:1 applicable to Falco's Lasers. However, it is possible to do all three of those techniques, you just have to execute them differently (and of course it's much harder than with Ike's QD, that's what we get for playing Falco).

B-Turnaround (Turn't / Retreating Laser):

Dash and SH, as per usual. Input the opposite direction, RELEASE, and laser. Falco will turn around and fire a laser while maintaining his momentum.

EDITEDIT: In my experience, fastfalling a turn't laser will result in Falco hitting the ground before actually firing the laser, as the input for the turnround lessens your forward momentum and results in you hitting the ground faster. (See: using analog vs. c-stick for aerial attacks) So don't fastfall these. Unless you can find a way to do it effectively. In that case, tell me how to do it.

B-Reverse:

Dash and SH, as per usual. Foir the lazah, and input the opposite direction within three frames afterwards. Falco will turn around, with reversed momentum, and foir a lazah.

Obviously, because one involves inputting the opposite direction BEFORE and one involves inputting the opposite direction AFTER, you can do both, resulting in a wavebounce. What exactly that looks like, I'm not sure yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom