• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Merging the Pit and Dark Pit subforums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Thoughts on such an adventure?

Currently from what we know, the characters differences are very small to the point which most relevant metagame discussions will always apply to both and players of one are able to use the other and so on and so forth.
For the sake of tier lists (match up charts/etc) and the measuring of viability, it is likely cleaner if we considered the two one in the same, and this as a standard will make things easier in the long term.
So to an extent there's a lot of redundancy between the two forums and and we're considering merging the two, it'll require clean up obviously (mess or maybe making new topics?).
Stuff like character postbits and backgrounds wouldn't be affected though.

If there's a perspective we're missing and people are against this though we would be happy to read it and consider it.
Also we have no interest in doing similar things for other "clone" characters, no need to bring it up =)

Thanks~

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Been asking for this since the beginning.

Might be a good idea to wait for the patch though. Knowing our luck, Pittwo would get a rehaul right after we merged 'em.

Koiba

코이바 ❤
NNID
SprinkledKittens
3DS FC
4055-7129-2437
Been asking for this since the beginning.

Might be a good idea to wait for the patch though. Knowing our luck, Pittwo would get a rehaul right after we merged 'em.
But in the last patches the angels didn't really get anything changed

So maybe in this patch it'll be the same thing?

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
I hope for an improvement for that character. Let's wait what the patch will get us.

Skydra

Smash Cadet
If nothing in the next patch differentiates the characters enough, we should just merge.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I think merging sounds like a good idea, but I agree that we should wait until after the patch first.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I agree with the pragmatic option. Wait 'til Friday's patch, discern the differences, and pending notable overhaul, merge the boards.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nairo said there was a change in Pit and Pittoo's jab. Is that correct? Also, I would love for this to happen. They weren't differentiated
Rapid jab works now, yeah. Pit's social is where my patch testing went if you're interested. My patch topic kinda got brushed off because I don't have access to my other 3DS to make it "official."

Final verdict @ Shaya Shaya : Not differentiated. All the separate changes appear to be on already separate moves.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I thought Dark Pit wasn't buffed like Pit, but it seems the same.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I read that Dark Pit's arrows got a damage buff.

I wonder if they're trying to slowly make the two characters less interchangable as time goes on. Dr MArio and Mario have different play styles despite sharing animations and while Lucina doesn't have that much of an identity she at least has a differnt design philosophy. Dark Pit's only real difference was his Final Smash and they don't exist in competitive play. As it stands Dark Pit is basically a tournament legal custom moveset for Pit. with his less manuverable but stronger arrows and different side B angle favoruing certain match-ups.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I read that Dark Pit's arrows got a damage buff.

I wonder if they're trying to slowly make the two characters less interchangable as time goes on. Dr MArio and Mario have different play styles despite sharing animations and while Lucina doesn't have that much of an identity she at least has a differnt design philosophy. Dark Pit's only real difference was his Final Smash and they don't exist in competitive play. As it stands Dark Pit is basically a tournament legal custom moveset for Pit. with his less manuverable but stronger arrows and different side B angle favoruing certain match-ups.
Knockback, but close enough.

Pretty sure I'm the one that came up with the "Dark Pit is a custom Pit" thing. :p

The thing with Dark Pit is that while they're simple changes, they actually make a big difference in how they play. Dark Pit's arrows are much harder to hit with, but offstage the reward is much greater. (Always had more KB then Pit's FYI.) Then with the Fspecials, Dark Pit gets tons of reward hitting with it offstage again, but this is because of the angle change. Pit gets 9% and helps the opponent recover.

1FC0

Smash Lord
The boards need to be seperate because you Pits can not handle the edginess that Dark Pit brings to the table!

Also their Ftilt is different too, I think.

Last edited:

Project_B

Smash Cadet
I've said it before, and Nairo has said it multiple times: Pit and Dark Pit are interchangeable. The only decent differences are the arrows and side B moves. Pit's side B is better for killing lighter characters; Dark Pit's sets up for edgeguards due to knocking opponents more horizontally. Pit's arrows can be controlled well; Dark Pit's hit harder. These differences do make some slight differences in matchups. However they are definitely trivial enough that we could just leave a little note parenthetically or at the bottom of our post. These do very minutely alter the character's gameplay, but again they are such small differences as a personal preference to players. If a player wanted to, they could, aside from one matchup (Rosalina) get the same results with either character. Players pick which Pit they like more as a character, or the one they prefer the side and neutral specials for; they can't really say that one is much different from the other. The two top players who have spoken about this are Nairo and |TSM| ZeRo, and they both have said that the characters are basically the same.

Overall, as clone characters go, Pit and Dark Pit are more similar and can be used more interchangeably than any of the others, where there is a clear superior and inferior. The boards should be combined due to the information for one almost always applying to the other, until someone finds a zero->death combo that only one has, or until there is a clear winner/loser in the Pit/Dark Pit matchup, wherein there currently is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom