• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mercy Self-Destruct

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I'm curious if I'm the only one who does this.

When an opponent I'm facing it fairly skilled, sometimes even they can slip up and have some input error, their fault or otherwise, that causes them to die (side+b instead of up+b is a common mistake). When this happens at a low percentage on their first stock I'll usually hop off the edge and kill myself, evening up the fight. It's costs me matches in the past, but I think it's worth it for good sportsmanship. Am I the only one who does this?

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
The short answer is no, there are a good number of other players that do the same, myself included.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if they really are good, they should be able to make a comeback. some people can easily or with difficulty, 2 stock people. if they sd, its thier fault (input error is so annoying.)

if you take a mercy stock, your just handing them an easier victory. its a bit more satisfying to make a comeback than to get a free point.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
if they really are good, they should be able to make a comeback. some people can easily or with difficulty, 2 stock people. if they sd, its thier fault (input error is so annoying.)

if you take a mercy stock, your just handing them an easier victory. its a bit more satisfying to make a comeback than to get a free point.
On the other hand, it's not satisfying at all to lose because of a self destruct.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
If an opponent looks like he screwed up do lag or messy button inputs, I'll usually kill myself regardless of the damage percentage.

It's not really satisfying to get an advantage or a victory do to something like that.

Dreamy Luigi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DreamyZack
3DS FC
3239-3015-8059
I don't feel like I should, hard to explain, but my philosophy is if you mess-up, then you pay the price.

KniteLyfe

Smash Rookie
I don't feel like I should, hard to explain, but my philosophy is if you mess-up, then you pay the price.
I'm kind of the same way to be honest. And for the most part I play most people at least twice, so they have a chance for redemption. ;)

TropicalTaco

Smash Journeyman
I do this every now and then. It does depend a bit on the skill level of the player, and a little bit on which character they are, too.

Rosalinas are the only ones I don't give mercy to.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I do it too. I was playing with Olimar vs. Mario. Mario did a incredible error in the fisrt second of the fight and did a error. I really bad for him, So I kill myself so we do a Real fair macth! Man, That fight become twice the intense.

In the end I win, but I feel glad that I kill myself because I want that guy have a fair fight and a chance to win!

Last edited:

Rajikaru

Smash Journeyman
I don't like it. I was playing a guy today who had a really annoying Link playstyle, we played for like an hour, and every time I made a mistake (out of around 20 matches, 1 or 2, except in the beginning when I literally made a mistake costing me my last stock 5 times in a row), he'd self-destruct. It was annoying because it seems more like it's done out of pity in most situations. Just let me kill myself again if it's early and we can try again, or don't kill yourself and I'll live with my mistake.

Last edited:

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
I do it sometimes. It all depends on my opponents playstyle and attitudes. If it's someone who likes to taunt excessively or plays very defensive and just camp, I wouldn't.

I do give pity stocks to those who SD by accident while trying to keep up with me or those who I know are better than me but make mistakes.

Although, if they SD a lot I'll stop doing that so they can try harder to be careful.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Some people apparently don't like it when I do this, and SD again to end the game after I do. If they were at kill percents I typically won't do it, but low/mid percent SDs generally compel me to. I try to maintain some level of friendliness, even in FG.

Although if they kill themselves just by going too deep for an edgeguard then I won't do anything more than laugh. If they share my attitude then they are probably doing the exact same thing.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I do it! I don't like facing an opponent with what I consider to be an unfair advantage. If they die off the stage because I put them there then it's fine, but if they legitimately miss it or mess up like that then i'm totally happy to SD in order to even the playing field. :)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
If they were at above 60%, I don't do it.

However, at early percents, I often will suicide. Then I crouch afterwards.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
I do it, sportsmanship is something I take very seriously. Except if they taunt spammed or something at my mistakes, then **** them.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
All the time.

It's good manners and it shows you're not taking it too seriously~

VentusNeos

Smash Cadet
NNID
VentusNeos
3DS FC
0087-2490-5498
I generally don't, but if I feel bad for someone, I'll taunt, (Since I'm Ness, I say, "Okay" to symbolize it's okay you messed up) and SD. Like if there's a lag spike or lag in general I will. or if the person is a newbie. HOWEVER, if they spam, I'm not gonna do it. Like Link players for example. not good ones, the ones who only use their arrows and boomerangs, and maybe up smash to kill.

If a person is skilled enough, I'll let them try to make the comeback, because they probably could.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If I'm on a losing streak, and my opponent SD's against me in one game, I'll give him a gentleman's stock to show that I want to win, but not because of a stupid mistake.

Zanestat

Smash Rookie
99% of the time I will taunt then throw myself off, this usually just leads to matches where both of us don't fight and we screw around though. I have had one person do that to me, but usually they will taunt plural times to try and be rude.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
I never really considered doing it before, although I will give them some space after they come back to get their bearings and button-mash some frustration out if they need to. But recently I played someone and after a couple matches, we were both pretty even, then one match I accidentally side-B'd instead of up-B'd for my recovery, and it was an easy recovery I should have made. My opponent self-destructed to make it even and I really appreciated it. So I might consider doing it for future fighters too, if it was just a mistake and they definitely play better than that.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
I do this if the guy isn't one of those wannabe pros who switch between multiple characters who are known for being good and just abuse the same few tactics that are widely known until switching to the next char.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I do it all the time. I've only come across one person who's done the same to me, but I still do it so it's more fun to play and they don't want to leave during or after the match.
I do this if the guy isn't one of those wannabe pros who switch between multiple characters who are known for being good and just abuse the same few tactics that are widely known until switching to the next char.
Sorry for going off-topic, but that's the creepiest Ben face I've ever seen...

KniteLyfe

Smash Rookie
I never really considered doing it before, although I will give them some space after they come back to get their bearings and button-mash some frustration out if they need to. But recently I played someone and after a couple matches, we were both pretty even, then one match I accidentally side-B'd instead of up-B'd for my recovery, and it was an easy recovery I should have made. My opponent self-destructed to make it even and I really appreciated it. So I might consider doing it for future fighters too, if it was just a mistake and they definitely play better than that.
I posted earlier in the thread saying I never do, but I had a similar experience to yours, and my opinion on it has changed.
Except against those newb spammers. :evil:(Off-topic: It's weird how an experienced player can lose to a newer player, because all predictions are pretty much out the window.)

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I tend to SD when I notice my opponent messes up and SDs. I've only faced a handful of players that actually returned that kind of sportsmanship to me though. I'm also known for taunting, but I taunt out of habit since the Smash 64 days when I take a stock off, I like seeing the cool character poses.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
I used to, but then I stopped when I realized how silly it was. If an opponent misses a flare blitz, I'm going to punish it; if they whiff a forward smash, I'm going to punish it. Why would I make a special case for mistakes off the side of the stage when this game is mostly just punishing mistakes? That said, I'd 100% of the time give them a second game, because mistakes like that are frustrating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom