• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Memorial Weekend Japanese Style Online Tournament

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
hi, i'm gonna be hosting a Japanese style tournament this sunday (i would do it on monday but i'm gonna be at a smashfest on monday playing melee :chuckle:)

This will be a japanese style tournament meaning anybody that shows up at the assigned time will be in the tournament but if you're late, we're not gonna wait for you. This tournament is going to finish that very same day and the bracket will be made right then and there.

Date: Sunday, May 30, 2010
Where: 98.210.237.56:27888 (we will meet up here)
time: 10AM PST - 1PM EST
events: Singles and if enough people show up, doubles.

make sure to finish your business before attending the tournament (washing dishes, walk your dog etc.)

see you there!

RULES:
General
5 Stock, Double Elimination, No Items, Advanced Slob Picks

Best of 3, WF/LF/GF Best of 5, LS Best of 5 if pay out is top 3 (note: there is no payout in this tournament)

Extreme Stalling will result in a Warning and then a Disqualification

Best of 3 Stage Rules (unless agreed upon)
First game must be on Hyrule
Counterpicks: Hyrule, Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle

Best of 5 Stage Rules (unless agreed upon)
First game must be on Hyrule
Counterpicks: Hyrule, Dreamland, Kongo Jungle, Peach's Castle
SSB DSR: You can't counterpick a stage you have already won on (does not apply to the win from the first game)

Explanation
Hyrule is the most neutral stage in the game. I think the first match should be on the stage with the least disadvantages for all characters. (unless agreed upon) means both players can agree to play on ANY stage for ANY match.

Advanced Slob Picks: Loser picks stage first, then winner picks character, then loser picks character (in that order)

DSR stands for Dave's Stupid Rule; a guy named Dave created this type of rule for SSBM tournaments. LS = Losers Semis. .

rules taken from malva00's thread

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Wish I could join I gotta 9 frame delay with 129 ping, thats gonna effect my gameplay drastically. I either gotta master playing at 9 frame delay or find another tourney. I think Imma set this one out.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
no no, we meet there, you don't necessarily have to play there. When it's time to play, you and your opponent find a server that you both agree on or you can p2p.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
hey i'm really sorry I was late, I was looking at my phone and I thought it said 9 for whatever reason but it was actually 10

EDIT: seems like nobody is showing up

The Star King

Smash Hero
This is why Japanese style tournaments are a bad idea.
Some people would rather not play in tournaments that take at least 2 months to finish, if they finish at all, with half the people in it DQ'd, and matches happening like once a week.

C'mon, you have to admit that if people show up, Japanese-style is better. I can't see how it's not.

malva00

Smash Master
I would have played if it was at night

"it gets pretty late in the east coast" is one of the most hilarious posts I've read in a while

Battlecow

Play to Win
Some people would rather not play in tournaments that take at least 2 months to finish, if they finish at all, with half the people in it DQ'd, and matches happening like once a week.

C'mon, you have to admit that if people show up, Japanese-style is better. I can't see how it's not.
It's not better for the same reason that Chess.com games wouldn't be better if they had to be finished within the day. It's hard for everyone to find a single day where they can take the huge amount of time needed to play a zillion games and work out all of the issues (i.e. a lagging opponent) involved. I agree that the MATTS! style tourneys could be better if people would play their matches, but I actually liked the way that the latest crop turned out- sure, I had to wait a week or two in between games, but I didn't mind, because I could spend the time in between tourney matches just playing regular ones. I got my matches finished as quickly as I could, but I didn't have to tear my hair out trying to get on, find my opponent, get everything working, and play within the ridiculously small time frame given.

I don't think you were in any of those tourneys, and maybe you got the wrong impression from disgruntled comments on the tourney page, but with a sensible person running the thing, and enforced but nonrigid deadlines, and good players, I'd much rather play in a long tournament than a Japanese-style one, simply because of the pressure-free environment.

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
"it gets pretty late in the east coast" is one of the most hilarious posts I've read in a while
well, yeah. I mean, if I did this tournament out of my convenience I wouldn't host in the morning. I'd host it in the middle of the day. The east coast is ahead 3 hours and chances are people have stuff to do later in the day than in the morning. This isn't Japan where it's just one time zone.

edit: what I meant by late didn't mean like it's day time here and it's night time over there lol. If the turnout had been good, we could have been there for a couple hours. I just don't want to get in the way of people's business.

Top Bottom