• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee roster comparison, this roster was better?

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I wanted to point out some facts to all you quickly disappointed guys out there.
Let's have a look at 64 and Melee's Roster in comparison to brawl's

SSB64 Roster
Mario characters - 3
Metroid characters - 1
Pokemon characters - 2
F-Zero Characters - 1
DK characters - 1
Kirby characters - 1
Star Fox characters - 1
TLoZ characters - 1
Mother characters - 1

Clones - 1(Luigi) - Unlockable

Melee Roster

Veterns
Mario
Yoshi
Samus
Pikachu
Kirby
Samus
Captain Falcon
Ness
Fox
DK

Unlockable
Jigglypuff
Luigi (Decloned)

Newcomers
Zelda
Shiek
Peach
Koopa(Bowser)
Ice Climbers

Unlockable
Falco
Young Link
Marth
Roy
Gannondorf
Pichu
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo
G&W

Veteran starters - 10
Newcomer starters - 5
Veteran unlockables - 2
Newcomer Unlockables - 9
Clones - 6(Roy,Dr. Mario,Young Link,Gannon,Pichu,Falco,) all unlockable

Unlockables - Original Newcomers 3(Marth,G&W,Mewtwo) Clone Newcomers 6 Vetern Fighters 2

Starters - Vets 10, Original Newcomers 5
Total - 12 Vets(1 decloned), 8 original newcomers, 6 clone newcomers.

Mario characters - 6(+3)
Metroid characters - 1(+0)
Pokemon characters - 4(+2)
F-Zero Characters - 1(+0)
DK characters - 1(+0)
Kirby characters - 1(+0)
Star Fox characters - 2(+1)
TLoZ characters - 5(+4)
Mother characters - 1
IC Characters - 1(+1)
G&W characters - 1(+1)
Fire Emblem Characters - 2(+2)

Brawl's Roster

Veterans
Mario
Peach
Koopa(Bowser)
Yoshi
Pikachu
Link
Zelda
Shiek
Kirby
Fox
Ice Climbers
Samus
Donkey Kong

Unlockable
Falco
Ness
Captain Falcon
Gannondorf
Young Link(Toon Link)
Jigglypuff
G&W
Marth
Luigi

Newcomers
Pit
Meta Knight
King DeDeDe
Wario
Diddy Kong
Zamus
Ike
Lucas
Pikmin and Olimar
Squirtle,Ivysaur,Charizard

Unlockable
Lucario
Sonic
Snake
Wolf
R.O.B

22 veterans - Mewtwo,Pichu,Dr. Mario,roy sacked
3 Clone Veterans - Falco,Young Link,Gannon

Starters - 10 Original Newcomers + 2 Clone Newcomers + 13 Veterans
Unlockables - 4 original newcomers + 1 clone newcomers + 9 Veterans out of which 3 clone veterans.
Clones - 6(3 new + 3 old) all unlockable (+0)

Total - 39(+13) - 14 Original Newcomers!(+6) 3 Clone Newcomer - Wolf,Lucas,Ike(-3), 22 Vets(+10) out of which 3 clone vets(+3)

Mario characters - 6(+0)
Metroid characters - 2(+1)
Pokemon characters - 6(+2)
F-Zero Characters - 1(+0)
DK characters - 2(+1)
Kirby characters - 3(+2)
Star Fox characters - 3(+1)
TLoZ characters - 5(+0)
Mother characters - 2(+1)
IC Characters - 1(+0)
G&W characters - 1(+0)
Fire Emblem Characters - 2(+0)
Kid Icarus Characters - 1
Sonic Characters - 1
Metal Gear Characters - 1
Pikmin Characters - 1
Special Icon character(R.O.B) - 1

so basically, just like Melee we had 6 clones, and they're all unlockable, but we had 6 more original newcomers than Melee, 3 less clone newcomers, and 10 more veteran characters.

isn't that better than what melee had to offer?

also, I believe all the clones except toon link are now diffrent enough as mario and luigi, so I really w ouldn't call them clones. I just did this to kill the argument, so I'd like to say this again

Ike,Lucas,Wolf,Falco and Gannondorf are not clones, I categorized them as such only to make my point stronger, that even if they were clones, the roster is still better than Melee's

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Holy cow, you're right! It seems like we have so many clones, but it's far less than we got in Melee...

Thanks for doing the math, it really shows a lot. o_0

You should color-code this thread and make it easier to understand, though.

S2

Smash Lord
I feel we got a lot of new content. TC you make a really good point.

But there are some fans which aren't going to be pleased no matter how many new characters we get.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's more the mindset that was created by overhyping something...

Zevox

Smash Lord
You should probably create a different category for the "luigified" clones - clones who have been differentiated from their originals by giving them some truly unique attacks, or major alterations to cloned attacks, even though others are cloned. That would account for Luigi in Melee, and Luigi, Lucas, Falco, and Wolf in Brawl.

Incidentally, Ike is not even close to a clone. He and Marth share only three moves, one of which is the rather generic special move Counter. They're no more clones than Mewtwo and Lucario. We've known this since people got to play as Ike at E for All, so I don't know how you could be under the impression its otherwise.

Zevox

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Uhhh... "IC Characters - 1 (+1) / G&W Characters - 1 (+1)"?

What about ROB and Pikmin?

And also, Ike isn't a clone. :|

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
ya this roster is much better than melees less clones and even so after watching may hours of brawl matches most of the clone have some different "A" and "B" moves so while they're similar they aren't exact clones.

True Fool

Smash Ace
The only clone in Brawl is Toon Link, maybe Gdorf. If you're not going to count Luigi as a clone in Melee, you can't count Wolf, Falco or Lucas in Brawl. I don't know enough about Ganondorf to defend him...

Blaze the cat

Smash Apprentice
Numbers are irrelevant when only one of the new characters (Sonic) is remotely interesting. As far as I'm concerned, Brawl is Melee 1.1.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
im happy with the roster, and I was one of those whinners. After seeing all the footage, you realize that all characters have been heavily decloned, now I only pout about the duplicate final smashes. I guess the thing to speculate know is wheter or not there will be downloadable content.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
WE got better, but we're missing more "big" characters we SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN! Geno, Megaman, Ridley, Krystal. Nuff said. It's more-but it's 11 more. We got 1 less clone, and 11 less characters. Honestly, more time was spent in making the story then newcomers, which is RETARTED! That is why Brawl was the most overhyped game of all-time.

RedrappeR

Smash Journeyman
WE got better, but we're missing more "big" characters we SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN! Geno, Megaman, Ridley, Krystal. Nuff said. It's more-but it's 11 more. We got 1 less clone, and 11 less characters. Honestly, more time was spent in making the story then newcomers, which is RETARTED! That is why Brawl was the most overhyped game of all-time.
You missed the entire point of the post. You literally just took the point, accepted it, and then forgot it even existed.

And you spelled ******** wrong.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You missed the entire point of the post. You literally just took the point, accepted it, and then forgot it even existed.

And you spelled ******** wrong.
He does it all the time, you're just gonna have to ignore it and just accept that Johnknight posted it.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I specifically took it to the extreme and "cloned" characters that I know are not clones, I.E Lucas,Ike,Falco,Wolf and Gannon, cause basically taking them away shows we only have one real clone, and saying that will get me flamed by the whiners.

I might organize it a bit more and colour code it, but basically the point is, all of the overhyping was repeating the mistake we did with melee, we assumed all of the really good characters are the unlockables, while the opposite was the true, and most of the original characters were starters and most of the unlockables were clones/old ideas recreated, This is true for brawl, the real guns of the game is the starting roster + snake and sonic, the rest are not as special, but still very good.

Top Bottom