• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Recording Setup

Tawkos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tawkos
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this kind of post, but yeah. I've been pretty active in my local scene and well, I've been wanting to purchase a good setup to record on my laptop (which I just bought a new charger). My budget is decent, since I have a job, but I don't wanna over pay for a damn capture card. I want the smartest buy possible, if anyone could help me buy a full setup to record (which implies not having to buy any extra equipment like splitters at a local retail store), I'd greatly appreciate it.

N9TMARE

Smash Cadet
Get average supplies and you'll be fine honestly. Don't over-think the purchases.

Tawkos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tawkos
Get average supplies and you'll be fine honestly. Don't over-think the purchases.
I don't know much about which supplies I actually need. I'd like for someone to give me what I really need and how to get it, if you get what I'm saying. I want someone to give me the smart thing to do in this scenario of me wanting to record.

Last edited:

Chuckles

Smash Apprentice
First of all, the easiest way to record without any splitters is to first get an S-video/AV cable for gamecube or Wii. As for the capture card, I'd recommend this http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Technologies-100-703156-Wonder-Adapter/dp/B0002ZQFS4 . However, I should note that it only has drivers for WINDOWS VISTA. This was my first cap card and it has terrific SD quality. I used it for years for Halo and Smash. Other cap cards include Dazzles or a Black Magic USB.

I use a Hauppauge HD PVR 2 gaming edition with splitters and an AV switcher now.

Kadano

Magical Express
There is no single smart solution that's best for every situation. If you have a good USB3 port, the Micomsoft XCAPTURE-1 (250$) or Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3 are definitely the best devices. If you only have USB2 ports, the Elgato Game Capture HD is probably the next best thing.
I'll do a video explanation soon of the different setups. It's pretty complicated.

Last edited:

Goxplex

Smash Apprentice
It really depends in what you want to do. If, like me, you are planning to record Smash 4 when released, but also want to stream Melee, I think your best bet is Elgato Game Capture HD, which supports composite cables with it's adapter.

This is my setup:

- Elgato Game Capture HD
- "Home-made" splitter
- Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
- Windows PC (i5 2500, HD7870, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB DDR3, AsRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3)

Tawkos

Smash Rookie
NNID
Tawkos
It really depends in what you want to do. If, like me, you are planning to record Smash 4 when released, but also want to stream Melee, I think your best bet is Elgato Game Capture HD, which supports composite cables with it's adapter.

This is my setup:

- Elgato Game Capture HD
- "Home-made" splitter
- Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000
- Windows PC (i5 2500, HD7870, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 8GB DDR3, AsRock z68 Extreme3 Gen3)
I mostly wanna record/stream Melee as I play at locals almost weekly, andI'd like to study myself and improve, also want other people's opinions, so yeah. About smash 4, I probably will upload smash 4 content since I plan to play that game competitively also, as long as it's worth it, but yeah... hm. Would an elgato be worth it? and how much would an elgato be?

Top Bottom