• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee On PC.

TheOnlyJeff

Smash Rookie
Hello. I've been saving money to buy myself a new PC for playing Melee, some other games, and also make Youtube videos. I'm asking if this Laptop will be a good choice for Melee, as it runs smooth with no input lag. If their are any concerns over graphical glitches or input lag. Please tell me and also recommend a better laptop. (PS: I was going to buy a desktop PC, but I have no room for it and I can also take the Laptop on the go as well.) Thank You for your help!

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A2SGW17HOO2407

-TheOnlyJeff

tyjle

Smash Rookie
You're probably gonna want a more powerful PC than that--

I'm assuming you're on a tight budget but If you want a good computer that can run emulators and can efficiently make content for youtube you should probably go for something with an SSD instead of an HDD, and a better graphics card. You should probably wait to get enough money for a better computer, than to buy this one and be disappointed.

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
If you have 600 dollars to blow on a computer and what you care about is gaming don't get a laptop. The portability is nice, and gaming can work, but you will likely need a setup that will take as much space as a desktop. I have a laptop that I can play melee on, and use netplay, but between needing an Ethernet cord and mouse, it's really not going to save you much space.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You're probably gonna want a more powerful PC than that--

I'm assuming you're on a tight budget but If you want a good computer that can run emulators and can efficiently make content for youtube you should probably go for something with an SSD instead of an HDD, and a better graphics card. You should probably wait to get enough money for a better computer, than to buy this one and be disappointed.
Emulation relies heavily on the CPU. That being said, he should focus on getting a strong processor, not a strong graphics card and definitely not an SSD.

The processor in his choice is probably sufficient for playing although I don't usually recommend U series CPUs due to them being low voltage and thus less power, it is a broader (5th gen) so it should be fine.

Don't bother buying a laptop with an uneccesarily powerful graphics card or an SSD if you only care for emulation.

Also, a desktop will deliver much better price/performance. A matx build can actually be pretty compact and affordable. I used the coolermaster N200 case and that thing was tiny and super cheap/a good case.

Anyways good luck

Steelo Rivers

Smash Cadet
Actually, I have that same laptop and it struggles to even reach 55 fps.
I wonder how that's possible. I had a ****tier laptop and was able to run pm netplay on an older version of dolphin (652 I think). I'm def not saying that he should get the laptop because he could easily build a desktop for <$300 that could do pm and melee netplay no problem without any fps drops.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
My CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @2.66GHz, my GPU is a GeForce GTS250, I have 4GBs of RAM (Upgraded from 2GBs), my resolution is set to 1360x768, with 60Hz refresh rate (Used to run it at 1920x1080 but I switched to a bigger monitor that's lower res), and my OS is Windows 7 Ultimate. I can run Melee with mostly no problems at all. The game slows down for a second or two when I switch to a menu with lots of stuff in it (Like the CSS or the Event Mode menu), it drops to 2/3 of the maximum FPS when I'm on a 4 player battle on Fountain of Dreams and one of the opponents is giant, and also when Master/Crazy Hand is defeated. Also, the emulator sometimes hiccups and freezes for half a second, but it goes back to 60FPS immediatly after. Perfectly playable, IMO.

Top Bottom