• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Melee Noob) Tips on Fox's Short Hop?

Drackos_Flare

Smash Rookie
YouTube Video after YouTube video, "Beginners Guide" videos just tell me "Learn how to short hop.". But this isn't good enough. I feel as if I have 2 frames to jump, or I Full hop (I don't know what the term is, so I just say "Full hop").

I've seen a guide say to try to be able to short hop 10 time's in place consistently, then go from there. (I get about 4 on bad days and 7-8ish on good ones) Is there a better way?

I can press X and Y to jump just as easy as each other, so is X or Y easier to short Hop with?

I know some characters short hop easier than other's, so should I even be learning this as fox?

And finally, is there some secret or short-cut to short hopping? I honestly can't see how Fox players are able to short hop so easily without one.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
I feel as if I have 2 frames to jump
that is the exact window you have to short hop. every character, before actually in the air, goes into a jumpsquat animation which varies depending on the character. to short hop, you have to let go of jump before the jumpsquat animation is over, and not on the last frame of it either for clarification. fox, pichu, sheik, and others with 3 frame jump squats are the hardest to do this with. characters like falco who have longer jumpsquats will be easier to do this with. the easiest character to do this with is bowser because he is only airborne 9 frames after you input jump (lol).

neither are easier or harder unless your controller has problems with either of those buttons.

if you're going to use fox, then you will need to learn how to do it.

just practice.

Sheepomg

Smash Rookie
When I first started playing, I had trouble short hopping as well. I encountered trouble again when I converted to the Claw Grip. As with all tech-skill, one has to carve the motion into muscle memory. To improve the consistency of my short hop, I used to short hop 100 times (try to short hop until I successfully completed 100). When you get this down, move on to 200 and 300. It should be pretty easy after a while (i.e. probably several weeks of daily practice--a lot of new players don't understand the amount of practiced involved to play like the pros. It is comparable to learning an instrument).

The step after this is to short hop out shield of and out of shine. Same procedure. Short hop out of shield 100 times successfully and then move on to 200 and 300. Similarly with shine. You'll need to shine or shield as you soon as you hit the ground to make this go quickly.

The step after this is to short hop -- aerial -- L-Cancel. Then short hop out of shine/shield -- aerial -- L-Cancel. You should also practice running short hops, short hop -- aerials, etc...

The only difference between the buttons, besides the name, is location on the controller. Choosing one is preference.

I highly recommend that you convert to claw grip now. It will reduce the pain of transitioning if you decide to do so in the future. As far as arguments for and against Claw go, I've yet to see anything that suggests Claw is not the best possible grip.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Everyone thinks there's secrets in this game that will make tech skill come easier lol. The answer is always just practice. Neither y nor x are easier. There's no secret hand motion or anything. You just have to release the jump button quickly, make it a quick tap. Practice is the only way to master it, there's no getting around that.

adPEXtwinDoNG

Smash Cadet
If you're having a problem with an AT you should take a look at what input methods you're using (Y, X, or tap jump in this situation) and look at how you're executing the tech. Take a step back and consider how hard it it first. If only a few people are consistently doing it then it’ll take a long time while versus a tech that every regular player can execute.

The biggest secret to any tech is practice. 15 minutes every day with a tech you really want to learn help immensely. Playing everyday and actively trying to use that tech solidifies that practice.

Just play Fox and try to short hop.

I'll give you one tip though. I recommend using the Y button (Its superior in long run imho). Start from the top right of the button and swipe laterally across the button to achieve a shallow press.

This video will help you practice.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
when you think you're hitting jump quickly, tell yourself to do it quicker. that's what helped me.

Top Bottom