• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee netplay requirement questions

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
ok so i have a windows 7 64g and 4g ram laptop. I downloaded dolphin and melee fine but when i start it up it only run between 27-30 fps. Is there anything i can do to get it running full speed ? a new graphics card maybe? Or do i need to get a better desktop all together? Im not very cpu savey so im pretty clueless on how to fix this problem any help is appreciated. thanks in advance

donpedrox

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonPedrox
First of all you seem to be on a laptop and it will struggle to run any GC/Wii game on dolphin due to it having a mobile CPU. Before investing in a desktop I'd suggest messing with the graphical settings. like use OpenGL instead of Direct3D make sure your not using any AA or anisotropic filtering.

However if you do get a desktop go for something with a i5-4670k or i5-3570k either of these should be enough CPU power. Since emulators are more CPU than GPU intensive a GPU wont really help too much but it isn't a bad idea either to get a good one shoot for a GTX 970 if you can find/afford it and at least 8GB of RAM, and with that you will have yourself a pretty nice gaming PC useful for many things other than Melee netplay. if you want more in depth help there is a reddit called /r/buildapcforme which is what it sounds like you post what you want a PC for and hopefully some nice person will lay out a build for you.

Last edited:

donpedrox

Smash Rookie
NNID
DonPedrox
This is absolutely overkill lol, I can STREAM it on a much worse PC than this guy suggests, if you are comfortable with building (which I doubt), or know someone who is I would recommend building your own instead of buying one (which is much more expensive) If you want to state your budget I would be more than happy to send you a build that could run Dolphin (prebuilt or for you to build)
Better to have more resources than be lacking them lol, I agree the GTX970 is overkill but I'm sure he can get by with an AMD-6300, but Intel is just a better performance CPU.

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
This is absolutely overkill lol, I can STREAM it on a much worse PC than this guy suggests, if you are comfortable with building (which I doubt), or know someone who is I would recommend building your own instead of buying one (which is much more expensive) If you want to state your budget I would be more than happy to send you a build that could run Dolphin (prebuilt or for you to build)

My specs:
http://i.imgur.com/AZTbUNi.png
ok im willing to pay for what ever is necessary to run melee as smooth as possible both on and off line

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
It would be nice if you could provide a budget of some sort so I could have something to go off of, you could spend as much or little as you want, the more you spend the better quality the end result would be. However you have to give me some sort of budget, and explain what you would use it for outside of melee, it would be extremely helpful.
ok hows $400 sound?

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
http pcpartpicker com/p/287Gt6 this is just a hair over 400 and has a copy of windows with it. (I can't post links yet so you have to add the :// and .)
will it be able to run melee smotthly?

Y-L

Smash Champion
do not go with an amd build, they don't fare well with Dolphin. Go with a pentium g3258 + z97 motherboard. Dolphin doesn't really care about the GPU and RAM but the CPU is vital. I recommend at least 4gb ram and a gtx 750 ti is a great budget / high performance gpu. I generally recommend this set: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jefflongo/saved/8hFYcf

If you do have to make sacrifices you could opt for a cheaper graphics card or switch to an h97 motherboard (which lacks overclocking feature and thus the true power of the g3258 CPU, but even without this you should easily run melee fullspeed).

Last edited:

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
do not go with an amd build, they don't fare well with Dolphin. Go with a pentium g3258 + z97 motherboard. Dolphin doesn't really care about the GPU and RAM but the CPU is vital. I recommend at least 4gb ram and a gtx 750 ti is a great budget / high performance gpu. I generally recommend this set: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jefflongo/saved/8hFYcf

If you do have to make sacrifices you could opt for a cheaper graphics card or switch to an h97 motherboard (which lacks overclocking feature and thus the true power of the g3258 CPU, but even without this you should easily run melee fullspeed).
ok you really seem like you know what your talking about. im willing to save up more money if necessary. what would you recommend to run melee online as smooth as possible?

Y-L

Smash Champion
I genuinely don't think you know what you are talking about, I have an AMD and have never had trouble running things (lmao Intel elitists) also your build is 500 dollars (just 100 over budget) and doesn't contain an operating system (lmao piracy) go back to /r/pcmasterrace
Sure you have no problem running melee, but take a look at the Dolphin CPU benchmark and you'll see that AMD chips undoubtedly perform worse in Dolphin, it's not because I have a preference for Intel, but it is how Dolphin works. It can only use two CPU cores and AMD CPU's falter in singlethreaded performance. Look at any CPU benchmark elsewhere and you can confirm this. Just because you don't have any problems doesn't mean that's what you should get.

ok you really seem like you know what your talking about. im willing to save up more money if necessary. what would you recommend to run melee online as smooth as possible?
To run melee online as smooth as possible you'd be fine with the G3258 and any decent graphics card.. I just don't think it's a good idea to buy budget parts that will be outdated and obsolete in a year just because it will run what you want to play at this point in time. That's why I recommend those parts a little over budget. They will last much longer in terms of relevancy in the long run.

ep1c_marf

Smash Apprentice
Sure you have no problem running melee, but take a look at the Dolphin CPU benchmark and you'll see that AMD chips undoubtedly perform worse in Dolphin, it's not because I have a preference for Intel, but it is how Dolphin works. It can only use two CPU cores and AMD CPU's falter in singlethreaded performance. Look at any CPU benchmark elsewhere and you can confirm this. Just because you don't have any problems doesn't mean that's what you should get.

To run melee online as smooth as possible you'd be fine with the G3258 and any decent graphics card.. I just don't think it's a good idea to buy budget parts that will be outdated and obsolete in a year just because it will run what you want to play at this point in time. That's why I recommend those parts a little over budget. They will last much longer in terms of relevancy in the long run.
how long will it last

Y-L

Smash Champion
how long will it last
The G3258, a Z97, and the GTX 750 ti will last you quite some time. When you feel the the G3258 is comparatively slow you can just overclock it if you haven't already (since you 'd get a Z97 board) and the 750 ti is a solid GPU.

Top Bottom