• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay: (Building Computer)

Starman90

Smash Cadet
NNID
starman90
I have been wanting to play Melee netplay on dolphin but just not sure if I should go overboard with price to make it a powerful gaming pc or just make it functional for melee netplay only. I just want a computer that allows me to stream, play melee netplay, other gc games, and minecraft. Mind giving me some tips and stuff. Maybe links for parts?

Last edited:

Kadano

Magical Express
I have been wanting to play Melee netplay on dolphin but just not sure if I should go overboard with price to make it a powerful gaming pc or just make it functional for melee netplay only. I just want a computer that allows me to stream, play melee netplay, other gc games, and minecraft. Mind giving me some tips and stuff. Maybe links for parts?
Intel i5 4690K (250$ish)¹
Intel Z87 or Z97 mainboard (ASRock is good for price/performance)
Any newer GPU, for example an AMD 7850. (Melee is not demanding in that regard, though.)
4 GB of RAM
The other parts don’t really matter. If I was you, I’d keep using the stock cooler until you reach its limits (if you ever do).

¹or AMD FX-8350 (150$ish)—worse in raw Dolphin, but really good at multithreading. It uses roughly twice the amount of power and gets really hot, so it will be harder to get it cool and silent than with the 4690K. Also, you’d have to go for an AMD mainboard as well, of course. I personally wouldn’t go AMD unless you’re really on a budget. (Price / performance is certainly better, but at the price point asked for the 4690K, there really isn’t anything all-around better for what you want to do, so the 100$+ are worth it imho.)

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
Try stuff like Newegg for parts. How much you spend depends on if you want to play regular PC games too. I'm a bit of an expert on PC builds, Having had built like 4 within the last 3 years for people, and i have to say people always want to get way more epensive parts than what they need. Alot of people want to spend like $1000 on parts, when they could spend only $800 and get just as good of a PC. What you need to remember is if something isnt good enough, if you need to add more RAM, you can always add onto your build. Look for Higher end parts on sale accross a variety of websites to find the best bang for your buck. Also huge respect for maining G&W.

Massive

Smash Champion
$1000 is way more than enough for a decent gaming machine, especially if you're building it yourself.

You can drop 500-600 bucks on parts and then buy decent monitors for ~$300 and still have some change left over to blow on steam sales.

I also highly recommend newegg, check out their combo deals, they have saved me a load of money for the last several machines I've built.

Last edited:

7upjawa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
7upjawa
3DS FC
3823-8521-4588
As me and Massive said, Newegg has awesome parts and lots of good sales. I got my graphics card for about $100 less than it was normally.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You're definitely going to want
i5 4690k (Dolphin requires a very fast single thread cpu, i5 4690k is the way to go, second best for dolphin behind the i7 4790k but don't waste your money on that unless you do video encoding, the k allows you to overclock)
Z97 motherboard (I recommend gigabyte the Z means you can overclock)
8 GB RAM (Dolphin doesn't care about this but pc games do)
GTX 970 or if you don't want to spend much GTX 750 ti (Dolphin does not require a strong graphics card but pc games do, both cards are very good bang for your buck, you get what you pay for)

buy them from pcpartpicker.

Last edited:

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
You're definitely going to want
i5 4690k (Dolphin requires a very fast single thread cpu, i5 4690k is the way to go, second best for dolphin behind the i7 4790k but don't waste your money on that unless you do video encoding, the k allows you to overclock)
Z97 motherboard (I recommend gigabyte the Z means you can overclock)
8 GB RAM (Dolphin doesn't care about this but pc games do)
GTX 970 or if you don't want to spend much GTX 750 ti (Dolphin does not require a strong graphics card but pc games do, both cards are very good bang for your buck, you get what you pay for)

buy them from pcpartpicker.
When you say dolphin doesn't require a strong graphics card, what's the minimum we're talking about? I have a Intel Iris 1536 MB with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8GB RAM (Macbook Pro Retina 13inch).

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
When you say dolphin doesn't require a strong graphics card, what's the minimum we're talking about? I have a Intel Iris 1536 MB with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5 and 8GB RAM (Macbook Pro Retina 13inch).
That should be suitable for 1x or maybe 2x IR.

Y-L

Smash Champion
What does IR mean?
Internal resolution. Basically the game resolution. 1x is standard gamecube resolution. If you lag on 1x and you're sure it's not your cpu (usually is), then it could be a gpu bottleneck. The gpu requirement isn't very much, it's almost always cpu bottleneck.

Top Bottom