• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee It On Me - The Melee Games Week 1 Recap

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The Melee games have concluded their first weeks of play and the competition has already been exciting! Tyrø sat down to write the first TMG Weekly Recap over on Melee It On Me this week and it includes the highlights from each region competing, details on the opening matches from the last two weeks, a discussion with V$ on SoCal teams, and information on the seventeen matches taking place this coming weekend.

A small preview of the article is included here below:
---​

First, on Saturday, September 5th, at Duke University, the five schools of the Carolinas region gathered to begin their round robin tournament.
The day kicked off with the home team Duke playing UNC Charlotte. Charlotte’s starting player GCS dominated the game from the get go, taking his first game losing just one stock, converting that into what would become an explosive 9 stock run through half of Duke’s team. As Charlotte pushed their lead throughout the battle, Kaeon, anchor and star player of Duke University team, was left staring down an 11 stock deficit. He was only able to pick up 6, and UNC Charlotte took the first win of The Fall 2015 Melee Games!

Duke then faced a crippled Clemson University team. ESAM, Clemson’s golden ticket, was attending Paragon LA at the time of this match. After two players on each team were eliminated, Clemson had built a two stock lead. This was short lived, as Duke’s Kaeon let loose a performance that would set an early season record, taking 11 stocks from Clemson players Wei, Trix, Alfie, and Perthro. Perthro and his Peach put in work as anchor for Clemson, but taking 8 stocks from Duke’s two remaining Marths proved to be an insurmountable task. Duke won with two stocks left.
---​

Want to know what happened with the rest of the schools in the Carolina's? Interested to hear about the other matches that took place? Want to know about the future of SoCal in the Melee games? Be sure to read the full article here to support The Melee Games. Also be sure to follow them on Twitter and Facebook and be sure to check their Challonge to see brackets for the games.
SmashCapps hopes people will read the articles and will tune into the various streams for The Melee Games this week. To keep up with his writing adventures be sure to follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Effay

Smash Lord
Switch FC
0527-9775-5784
Are these being streamed?

iDreamTheater

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iDreamTheater
3DS FC
5472-7184-0561
Are these being streamed?
Taken from the article:

Friday 9/18:
Ontario: Sheridan College vs Humber College on www.twitch.tv/sheridansmash

Saturday 9/19:
12p (EST) New England: UMass Amherst vs Quinnipiac University vs Champlain College (RR) onwww.twitch.tv/umassbc
2p (EST) New York City: Stevens University vs Hofstra University vs SUNY Purchase (RR) onwww.twitch.tv/sigmelee
2:30p (EST) North Carolina: [In Order] North Carolina State University vs Clemson University, Clemson vs UNC Charlotte, NCSU vs UNC Chapel Hill, Duke vs NCSU, UNC Chapel Hill vs Clemson on www.twitch.tv/KneeDeepGaming5:30p (EST) New Jersey: Ramapo College of New Jersey vs NJIT on www.twitch.tv/sigmelee
7:30p (EST) Illinois: University of Illinois at Urbana vs Northwestern University, followed by Northwestern University vs Illinois State University on www.twitch.tv/TheSmashingIllini

Sunday 9/20:
New York Upstate: Clarkson University vs Syracuse University (stream/time TBA)
New Jersey: Montclair State University vs Brookdale Community College (local recording)

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
Taken from the article:

Friday 9/18:
Ontario: Sheridan College vs Humber College on www.twitch.tv/sheridansmash

Saturday 9/19:
12p (EST) New England: UMass Amherst vs Quinnipiac University vs Champlain College (RR) onwww.twitch.tv/umassbc
2p (EST) New York City: Stevens University vs Hofstra University vs SUNY Purchase (RR) onwww.twitch.tv/sigmelee
2:30p (EST) North Carolina: [In Order] North Carolina State University vs Clemson University, Clemson vs UNC Charlotte, NCSU vs UNC Chapel Hill, Duke vs NCSU, UNC Chapel Hill vs Clemson on www.twitch.tv/KneeDeepGaming5:30p (EST) New Jersey: Ramapo College of New Jersey vs NJIT on www.twitch.tv/sigmelee
7:30p (EST) Illinois: University of Illinois at Urbana vs Northwestern University, followed by Northwestern University vs Illinois State University on www.twitch.tv/TheSmashingIllini

Sunday 9/20:
New York Upstate: Clarkson University vs Syracuse University (stream/time TBA)
New Jersey: Montclair State University vs Brookdale Community College (local recording)
The Friday match is 8pm! I must not have added that. Will correct ASAP

Ravio'sDirtyHat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kristopher117
3DS FC
3583-1010-0141
Because it is the most technical Smash game due to wavedashing, waveshining, moonwalking, SHFFL, and other hard techniques.
I remember playing it when I was really young but can't remember all the differences between it and the others and when I say young I mean like 4 or 5

Ravio'sDirtyHat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kristopher117
3DS FC
3583-1010-0141
Because it is the most technical Smash game due to wavedashing, waveshining, moonwalking, SHFFL, and other hard techniques.
I’ve also only been playing 64 and Brawl for the past 8 years and haven’t had a chance at melee again,so I was just trying to understand why it was still so popular.

Last edited:

Zurf

Smash Cadet
I’ve also only been playing 64 and Brawl for the past 8 years and haven’t had a chance at melee again,so I was just trying to understand why it was still so popular.
Unlike Brawl/Sm4sh, Melee's game engine favors fast, technical offensive play at a high level. It also has a much faster and tighter feel than the other games, and has more slippery physics, allowing for the aforementioned wave dashing, moonwalking, etc.

It is popular now almost only because of the competitive aspect to it, with new techniques that keep adding more and more to the game. Without that it would fall into obscurity like 64 and Brawl did, as not that many people play the game casually anymore outside of a fun throwback at a dorm party or something.

Also it's almost as much fun to watch high level matches as it is to play.

Ravio'sDirtyHat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kristopher117
3DS FC
3583-1010-0141
Unlike Brawl/Sm4sh, Melee's game engine favors fast, technical offensive play at a high level. It also has a much faster and tighter feel than the other games, and has more slippery physics, allowing for the aforementioned wave dashing, moonwalking, etc.

It is popular now almost only because of the competitive aspect to it, with new techniques that keep adding more and more to the game. Without that it would fall into obscurity like 64 and Brawl did, as not that many people play the game casually anymore outside of a fun throwback at a dorm party or something.

Also it's almost as much fun to watch high level matches as it is to play.
Okay

Top Bottom