• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee is going to die out

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBarwick

Smash Rookie
Ok before I start, no I don't play Melee (I'll explain why later), and yes I play Smash 4.

Since the days of Azen to the modern day Smashers like Mango, Melee has been a big face in fighting competitions and has changed the opinion of a lot of the people in the fighting game community. Its made many people realize that fighting games do not have to be placed into the Street fighter 2 design to be competitive and have legitimate combos. Melee stated out much like Street Fighter 2 with it having combos more by accident than by design. It made the game last a long time as unlike other fighting games where all the mechanics for the meta are laid out in 20 minute tutorial, Melee players had to discover the techniques like wave dashing and Directional influence. By time Brawl came out the meta was very fleshed out and the community had legends like Ken and PC Chris but the scene for Melee was almost killed and was just revived by the Melee documentary as no one wanted to play a game over 6 years old at the time. The documentary brought back the community however due to showing people the stories of Smashers like Ken and Isai and they now know of the modern day stories being played out like Mangok.. cough! cough! I mean Mango being defeated by Leffen at Apex 2015.

However there is one problem with Melee that will eventually kill the game. For starters, yes the game is too old. It plays on a console from two generations ago, that's ten years ago! Ten! You know the problem with that? How many 15-19 year olds are gonna have a Gamecube with melee. Answer, not many. That means there is no fresh meat coming into the Melee community. Players like me who where ten when Melee came out most likely didn't buy it then as that generation of kids were more likely pushed towards the PS2 as we wanted to play GTA or our parents had given us an old PS1 and stuck to that system. I have never played Melee because it's too dam expensive! £30 for a preowned copy!? Unless Melee is put on the eshop (pretty please Nintendo) I can't imagine the game getting to many new kids. Also despite the nickname, the Smash Gods won't live forever and will retire just like Ken, Isai, Azen, PC Chris and more recently Wobbles did, So that pool of players is gonna get shallower while the Smash 4 community is gonna either get bigger or shrink with Melee. Because let's be honest games like Brawl and Smash 4 would not have a competitive scene if Melee was not so popular at the time of their release, sure there would be niche but not anything like Apex or EVO. So when Melee goes it's more up to either Nintendo or the community to decide whether we continue on with Smash 4. Hey a Project M 2 may come about and bring back the Melee gang but who knows.

I could be wrong I don't know, maybe an eshop release of Melee will keep it alive or the community will alter the modern smash games to make them more combo heavy while being easy to apply (still waiting for a PAL release of PM as I don't wan to hack my wii). Or maybe the mind game heavy Smash 4 will be able to hold it's own even if the game lacks hype like Melee does. I mean a cool combo looks better than a really smart read. Tell me your opinion as I'm sure there are plenty of Melee fans who know more about the community than I do.

Its made many people realize that fighting games do not have to be placed into the Street fighter 2 design to be competitive and have legitimate combos
You mean being a traditional fighting game, right? Not all traditional fighters play very similarly to SF2

Melee stated out much like Street Fighter 2 with it having combos more by accident than by design
Combos in traditional fighting games happen as products of a formula, aside from target combos

It made the game last a long time as unlike other fighting games where all the mechanics for the meta are laid out in 20 minute tutorial
I think you're really oversimplifying other fighting games. Also, SF3 and MVC2 both lasted 10+ years

By time Brawl came out the meta was very fleshed out and the community had legends like Ken and PC Chris but the scene for Melee was almost killed and was just revived by the Melee documentary as no one wanted to play a game over 6 years old at the time
Wombo Combo, Revival Of Melee 1, and Genesis 1 revived Melee. EVO 2014 + the documentary made it super popular (180-350 entrants at national tournaments before then. Now we have 660 - 1038 entrants at nationals)

The documentary brought back the community however due to showing people the stories of Smashers like Ken and Isai and they now know of the modern day stories being played out like Mangok.. cough! cough! I mean Mango being defeated by Leffen at Apex 2015
Are you trying to tell us something?

However there is one problem with Melee that will eventually kill the game. For starters, yes the game is too old. It plays on a console from two generations ago, that's ten years ago! Ten! You know the problem with that? How many 15-19 year olds are gonna have a Gamecube with melee. Answer, not many. That means there is no fresh meat coming into the Melee community
You have a reasonable theory, it's just that tournament entry numbers disprove it. Or is that age range the smallest range among new players joining?

I have never played Melee because it's too dam expensive! £30 for a preowned copy!?
Melee disks have become really valuable now, haven't they? I wonder why

Unless Melee is put on the eshop (pretty please Nintendo) I can't imagine the game getting to many new kids
Does it have to get to kids? The community seems to be doing really well, regardless of what age of players we're getting. Or am I being short sighted?

Also despite the nickname, the Smash Gods won't live forever and will retire just like Ken, Isai, Azen, PC Chris and more recently Wobbles did, So that pool of players is gonna get shallower
So? New gods took their places. Why won't it happen again?

So when Melee goes it's more up to either Nintendo or the community to decide whether we continue on with Smash 4
The community seems to have decided to keep hosting events for Melee, PM, and Smash 4, at the same time in different places. The community's just divided by games

Hey a Project M 2 may come about and bring back the Melee gang but who knows
The PM team has stated that they don't want to mod Smash 4. My source is a youtube comment, but I trust that guy. Or should I not?

I could be wrong I don't know, maybe an eshop release of Melee will keep it alive or the community will alter the modern smash games to make them more combo heavy while being easy to apply (still waiting for a PAL release of PM as I don't wan to hack my wii). Or maybe the mind game heavy Smash 4 will be able to hold it's own even if the game lacks hype like Melee does. I mean a cool combo looks better than a really smart read. Tell me your opinion as I'm sure there are plenty of Melee fans who know more about the community than I do.
You have reasonable theories, but I think interacting with the community more directly would give more accurate information

Last edited:

Big Daddy Josh

Smash Apprentice
Ok before I start, no I don't play Melee (I'll explain why later), and yes I play Smash 4.
My only issue is OP makes a bold claim, stating that Melee will eventually die, and he starts his post with that. ^
Yes it's possible for you to follow the Melee scene without playing the game, but by reading the rest of your post it doesn't really seem like you know what you're talking about.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
How many 15-19 year olds are gonna have a Gamecube with melee.
I'm 17. Melee came out when I was 4, got the game at age 6, and have been playing it for the past 12 years (competitively for the past year or two). 15-19 isn't the age group you're looking for because people in that range were alive (to varying degrees of awareness) when the game came out.

The range you're looking for is 9-13, but Sm4sh is attracting people to the Smash scene in general, where they happen upon a Melee stream or the Melee section of the boards and boom, new possible Melee player. Before you even begin to refute that claim, look on the Melee section of the boards more closely; you will see newer players everywhere. Honestly, I think Melee's scene is going to outlast the Sm4sh scene unless some viable (humanly possible) tech comes about.

The Prince L

Smash Apprentice
No It's not.

THE END.

Do I need to say more ?

ps : I didn't read anything, except the title. Peace, later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom