• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee hate

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
I’ve been noticing a lot of hate on melee recently since ultimate came out. I personally really like both games but prefer melee competitively. So I might be biased. But almost all melee players have tried ultimate. Some even play both or have switched. I haven’t seen any hate go to melee besides little trolls that mean nothing. But when I see the hate on melee it’s literally the majority and more than just little trolls, including top players or figure heads of the ultimate community. I just wanna see what smashboards thoughts on this was.

GhostM

Phantom
It’s because the Melee community is known for being toxic, and some say that they trash every game that isn’t/play exactly like Melee, so they disregard every other game that’s not Melee. Since they throw hate at other communities, it’s bound to cause issues with pro players. While I can see why hate can be thrown at the Melee community, I don’t think it’s fair to judge a community as a whole just because of a couple of people who dislike Ultimate.

I originated in the Melee community and although I didn’t like Brawl for being really slow, I still respected those who were able to adapt and play the game competitively, since most Melee fans dislike Brawl. For Ultimate, I enjoy playing it although it can frustrate me sometimes, but I still think that the game is a good balance of speeds that any Smash player can pick up and enjoy.

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
It’s because the Melee community is known for being toxic, and some say that they trash every game that isn’t/play exactly like Melee, so they disregard every other game that’s not Melee. Since they throw hate at other communities, it’s bound to cause issues with pro players. While I can see why hate can be thrown at the Melee community, I don’t think it’s fair to judge a community as a whole just because of a couple of people who dislike Ultimate.

I originated in the Melee community and although I didn’t like Brawl for being really slow, I still respected those who were able to adapt and play the game competitively, since most Melee fans dislike Brawl. For Ultimate, I enjoy playing it although it can frustrate me sometimes, but I still think that the game is a good balance of speeds that any Smash player can pick up and enjoy.
I feel like it’s been back and forth, when brawl came out there was melee hate, then after the meta evolved there was brawl hate. same for smash 4. Now ultimate also starts with melee hate. I think it’s just new players who have no idea what there talking about mostly. Top players I feel like are just whining about stuff from back in the day like brawl

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I personally don't really have a problem with Melee per se, but moreso that people keep making Melee based mods. Project M, Project Ultimate, and whatever the one for Smash 4 was called. Probably Project 4 or Project Smash 4.

I get that Melee has a unique playstyle and whatnot, but making mods of every Smash game that comes out just so it plays like Melee is played now seems kind of ridiculous. Then again, it's only a mod and nobody's forcing me to download it and install it or anything. But still, I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Regarding the topic at hand, the Smash community—at least in my opinion—is notorious for being one of the most hateful communities. No matter what you do, you'll almost always get hated on. Prefer playing one game over the other? Main a certain character? Want a certain character in? Like a certain game series? cough Fire Emblem cough

I guess it's to be expected since Smash is first and foremost a children's party game, but still.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't know, maybe it's just where I've been spending more of my time, but the community seems better lately.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The Brawl days were hilariously toxic. Some Melee players would completely go out of their way to talk about how terrible Brawl was, which prompted Brawl players to clap back at them with (poorly thought out, I might add) reasons why Brawl is a good or better game. I think that's where the intial split was, and it's never really healed completely.

I'll say recent times are much calmer considering the crossover play Ultimate gets from players of all previous titles. Where are you seeing all this Melee hatred? Please don't say r/kappa or Salem's twitter. I tend to see a couple people here or there talk smack on either game while claiming to belong to the other camp, but they usually get shut down pretty quick unless their name is Leffen.

GhostM

Phantom
I feel like it’s been back and forth, when brawl came out there was melee hate, then after the meta evolved there was brawl hate. same for smash 4. Now ultimate also starts with melee hate. I think it’s just new players who have no idea what there talking about mostly. Top players I feel like are just whining about stuff from back in the day like brawl
It can also be that sometimes pro players on twitter will say controversial stuff in order to get attention from the various smash bros communities. Some only say it simply because they just want to jab at another community for fun, and make them react in a hostile way on purpose.

Heyzeus_18

Smash Cadet
The Brawl days were hilariously toxic. Some Melee players would completely go out of their way to talk about how terrible Brawl was, which prompted Brawl players to clap back at them with (poorly thought out, I might add) reasons why Brawl is a good or better game. I think that's where the intial split was, and it's never really healed completely.

I'll say recent times are much calmer considering the crossover play Ultimate gets from players of all previous titles. Where are you seeing all this Melee hatred? Please don't say r/kappa or Salem's twitter. I tend to see a couple people here or there talk smack on either game while claiming to belong to the other camp, but they usually get shut down pretty quick unless their name is Leffen.
The pro player thing is just salem and the other people agreeing with him. On the other hand, if you look at twitter, youtube comments, heck even my irl friends at school talk about melee being broken in the dumbest ways. It's all cause of that one Heeew video. I love his content, but man. All the noobs/new players ride that video like the stuff inside it is game breaking and stuff.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The pro player thing is just salem and the other people agreeing with him. On the other hand, if you look at twitter, youtube comments, heck even my irl friends at school talk about melee being broken in the dumbest ways. It's all cause of that one Heeew video. I love his content, but man. All the noobs/new players ride that video like the stuff inside it is game breaking and stuff.
That guy also made videos on every other Smash game being broken, I believe, that have also gotten millions of views. Your experience seems more anecdotal than how the general public actually feels. Youtube comments can't really be taken seriously, and neither can reddit. Salem's followers are more likely echoing him as a person, rather than what they actually feel about the game. A lot of them were probably born long after Melee was released and have never owned a console that could play it. It's stupid, but brigading is still a thing for a lot of people.

Show your friends the "Brawl is Broken" video by the same creator. Specifically the chaingrabbing/infinite part. That's real game-breaking stuff. If that doesn't change their mind then nothing will.

Top Bottom