• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee ELi5 Thread! (ExplainLikeImFive)

CeeLew

Smash Rookie
Hello, Smashboards member/lurker!

Welcome to the Melee ELi5 (Explain Like i'm 5) Thread.

In this thread, the goal is to define or explain the large vocabulary in the Super Smash Bros. scene (specifically Melee) as if our audience was five years old! (Credit to the subreddit /r/explainlikeimfive) The general rule of thumb is, if it takes a wall of text to explain, then you're being too complex for the five year old brain! (Ha, that rhymed.) Make it as serious or as funny as you want to be, but just make sure it is accurate or we (the community) will correct you! :D

I will continuously edit this page to include all of our defined terms and I will be sure to give credit where credit is due!

Note: If you feel like you can explain a term to a five year old better than someone else did, let us know and depending on your definition, i'll add it to the list!

Let's begin! I'll start.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Terms (In alphabetical order):
Salty: When someone gets mad because they are bad. (Credit: CeeLew)
Short Hop: A short fast jump (Credit: 20YY SS | Saiblade)
Techskill: Being able to hit buttons really fast when you need to. (Credit: CeeLew)
Tournament Winner: Using the jump option from the ledge. It's a free win for the opponent because it's really easy to punish. (Credit: Ultimate Dew)
Wavedash: Jumping, then quickly air-dodging into the ground, resulting in a short 'dash'. (Credit: FurySSBM)

Characters (In alphabetical order):
Bowser: How to play against Sheik -> cry, L R A start (Credit: J$)
Peach: How to play -> Hit both sticks down (Credit: EPsilon933)

Last edited:

UltimateDew

Smash Rookie
Tournament Winner: Using the jump option from the ledge. It's a free win for the opponent because it's really easy to punish.

NitroSSBM

The coolest Falco of all time
Wavedash: Jumping, then quickly air-dodging into the ground, resulting in a short 'dash'.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Neutral game: stay in the middle of the level so you don't get pushed off and die

That describes "Stage Control" more accurately.

How to play low tiers: Pray that nobody knows about your gimmicks.
(For spacies) Shine: Down-B
(For everyone else) Shine: A bright, blue hexagon that will haunt your nightmares and slowly drive you to insanity.

Last edited:

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Powershield: enemies shoot at you and you shoot at them using the shot that was shot at you being shot back at the person who was trying to shoot you in the first place

^That was a headache to think and type out lol

Top Bottom