• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Controller Advice

HajWayTooMany

Smash Rookie
Hello all! Curious, I find myself using the Z-Button and L-Canceling for my aerials instead of the "A" button or "C' stick. I have found myself not using the "C" stick AT ALL. As far as a performance standpoint is this okay? May I add i use Marth as a main, i tend to slip on on L-canceling but i don't see too much lag. I read another form 50/50 about that topic. But i am not really here for that question, more of my controller habit. Thanks!

Hello all! Curious, I find myself using the Z-Button and L-Canceling for my aerials instead of the "A" button or "C' stick. I have found myself not using the "C" stick AT ALL. As far as a performance standpoint is this okay? May I add i use Marth as a main, i tend to slip on on L-canceling but i don't see too much lag. I read another form 50/50 about that topic. But i am not really here for that question, more of my controller habit. Thanks!
Some players use Z for aerials and L canceling. There's less distance to press for getting the L cancels. And it's the same button. It also helps free up the thumb for pressing X or Y for jumping, however, if it's pressed too soon, the jump squat will get canceled into a grab

Smashes are a little bit quicker and easier to do with C stick. It can help for doing walking smashes which Marth players probably love

What's a form 50/50?

If you can do the things you want to be doing, you'll be fine

HajWayTooMany

Smash Rookie
Wait L Canceling can be done with Z too? How? Where is a good guide for all this by the way. Also i meant "A fourm i read was 50/50 about using L-Canceling with marth due no potential lag.

Wait L Canceling can be done with Z too? How? Where is a good guide for all this by the way. Also i meant "A fourm i read was 50/50 about using L-Canceling with marth due no potential lag.
By pressing Z before you land a normal aerial attack. Same timing

Guide? Um...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM

L canceling is perfectly better than not L canceling. They could be talking about auto canceling, when you land at a certain timing during your normal aerial attack animation to land with no lag instead of L cancel lag. You'll usually have to delay when you hit the ground

HajWayTooMany

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the videos! So do you think all of Marth aerials should be L-Canceled? Or just more notably down tilt and nair?

Last edited:

Sleepy Driz

Smash Cadet
It's not really a matter of opinion if you're playing competitively. There's no reason to intentionally miss an L-cancel. Reducing the lag on your aerial attacks is objectively better than playing with increased landing lag.

Top Bottom