• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee -> Brawl Mains

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
After a year+ long hiatus from brawl, I am considering getting back into the game. During that year, I focused a lot more on melee, especially improving my technical skill. One of my main obstacles with throwing myself into the world of brawl again is character selection. Last I played brawl, I stuck to the same characters I used in melee. I did alright, but seeing as though the two games are quite different, I got to thinking if choosing a different brawl main might be the best for my melee characters.

A question to those who have the same mains for melee and brawl (even S64):
Do you find it difficult to play the same character one way in melee and a different way in brawl? Is it easy to relapse into habits that may be helpful in one game, but harmful in the other?

The reason I ask is simply because I don't want to have to go through the work of re-learning how to play a character every time I play one game for an extended period of time and ignore the other game. Your input is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
The three games are way too different to be trying to bring anything over, the character who you can bring the most over from is Marth (which I can tell your probably play by your name), and even then he plays pretty different. Sorry but you're going to have to almost relearn whatever character you play.

Play Melee.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I play Kirby in both games and the only difference in my Brawl strategy from my Melee one is the lack of Meteor Dash. I tend to lose in Brawl so clearly I should be adapting to the change in games more than I am doing but I find playing Brawl does teach me to play Melee Kirby in new ways, improving my ability in both games in the long run.
Then again, I don't care for tech skill so...

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That is why I don't play any of the same characters in any game. They feel too different from one game to another to really get a "feel" for them. Every character short of Fox and Mario have been all over the tiers in each game (Fox always on the higher end of the tiers, Mario mostly somewhere in the middle of the tiers). My playing style is also completely different from game to game, as are the characters I use from game to game.

I main Mario and secondary Captain Falcon in SSB64.
I main Fox and secondary Ganondorf in Melee.
I main Toon Link and secondary... no one (yet) in Brawl (I used to use Marth, but I suck as him, and I never use him in tournaments!). :laugh:

In SSB64 I make focusing on my timing on movement my #1 priority, and I always tend to play a lot more defense than offense (until I get into combo mode!).
In Melee I make spacing and proper teching on offense my focus, and I'm nearly always in "kill kill kill" mode with close-ranged attacks due to Ganondorf and Fox's amazing close range game.
In Brawl I try to control my opponents movements without myself being controlled, and I focus more on controlling the pace of the game rather than offense or defense. However, I'd say I'm more on offense due to Toon Link's numerous projectiles).

In other words, I am a lunatic! :psycho: :crazy: :grin:

The Marth

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the responses all. I'm getting that it would be significantly easier to just switch mains, as there are too many differences between games (thank god) to play a character the same way. Ryuu you do have a point though, playing a character in one game could definately lead to insights on how to play in another game. Maybe I'll keep marth or falco as seconds in brawl, or just use them in friendlies whenever I'm bored of playing to win :p

And John, I never thought about playing in different styles game to game. I'll keep that in mind whenever I'm playing S64/Melee at my friends' places.

Melee > Brawl

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Smash 64 = Don't get hit!
Melee = Tech Skill!
Brawl = Spacing!

My attempt to summarize each game as briefly as possible.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I switched because all my melee mains felt bad in Brawl.

LOL, I loved pissing people off by picking sheik. You'd think I'd pick Metaknight in Brawl for the same reason, but I don't like how he feels

Jonas

Smash Champion
Absolutely. If you use the same character in both games, it's very possible that you'll instinctively try to play it in Brawl the same way you played it in Melee.

TimboJimbo

Smash Rookie
I played with Kirby in S64 and found his throws to be awesome. Then in Melee I didn't like Kirby having his throws nerfed so I mained mostly with Roy. Now in Brawl I did main Kirby until I started playing as ICs and TL (so I have 3 mains)

So basically you play with one character, if they get nerfed in the newer game you change character.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Marth's not to bad to use in both games (at least for me). Every now and then, I go for a JC grab in Brawl...but I do that pretty much with any character lol

Pseudomaniac

Smash Journeyman
I've always played DK as my secondary in all 3 games. Of course, I only started doing well with him in Brawl. But my main has always changed. Mario in the original, Shiek in Melee, and then Falco in Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I tried to play my mains from Melee in Brawl, but they just didn't feel right. I also wanted to try out the new characters more anyway.

D3, Diddy, and R.O.B. quickly became my favorite characters to play as. Sheik just lost her charm

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
...I have the same problem as others, other than Pika and Luigi, noone I used in Melee feels the same as in brawl, have mained Pika for all 3 games though.

Top Bottom