• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee as Art: Basketball, Execution Barriers, and Jazz

TaFoKiNtS

Smash Lord
I just realized that I got tagged, sorry about the delayed response, but I'd love to x-post this on meleeitonme. Let me know if that's cool and we can chat via pm.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Nintendo seriously needs to embrace advanced techniques as official mechanics and implement them. We already know that Smash 4's pivots mean that they're putting in at least SOME effort.

They shouldn't retain the "techniques" of Melee, though; they need to intentionally design their advanced techniques like how Capcom has done with all of their fighting games. They never retain the same advanced techniques for each game; they always intentionally develop new ones and even program the AI to do them.

Unless, of course, techniques in Smash are inherently unintentional and are there to be discovered, in which case I'm wrong.

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
This was a great read, I'm glad you took the time to write this. I think you have a natural ability to write and should do so as often as you want without being scared of what others will think about you

Fashion

Smash Rookie
Ok now that MIOM has taken notice and is endorsing this tread, this has become Smashboard's greatest post ever of all time.
while i greatly appreciate your compliment, i believe greatest Smashboards post of all time would have to go to the guy who posted the first known thing about wavedashing, and had much difficulty describing it, leaving everyone very confused. haha.

edit: here it is. decided to take the two seconds necessary to actually google it. http://smashboards.com/threads/new-strategy-easter-egg-all-reader.12593/

Last edited:

dfrogman

Smash Cadet
i think this is exactly what chillindude is talking about in a recent apex interview when he points to some of those japanese TAS videos and says that melee's metagame can never really be "solved." my best attempt to summarize: on some level, melee will always be about punishment, since there will always be something suboptimal your opponent is doing for you to look for and try to capitalize on. another consequence is that there is no "final" or "ultimate" tier list, since there will always be some new "tech" with some character to be discovered that can warp the metagame (we don't know what the metagame would look like if every character was tas-perfect or w/e). the smash documentaries mention that melee and RTSes like starcraft are the only games fast enough to have this quality; it might sound pretentious but i think that in this sense those games are closer to sports than any other video game

Last edited:

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
And this is why no game will ever really be like Melee. Just like no other styles of music will ever be Jazz, other styles may come along that are different, some say better, some say worse, but its not the same as Jazz.

This post should be shown to people that say Melee players should move on and just play Sm4sh instead. That sort of thing is like saying that someone should stop listening to Jazz and listen to Rock, because its newer.

Thor

Smash Champion
Nice pre-empts in the OP XD

I have some disagreements but I'm not interested in starting a fight on here - the post as a whole is still very well-written [and very long!] and makes a compelling argument, disagreements or no [it's really over one specific thing anyway, and one kind of derpy thing : P]. That, and the thread should probably be kept somewhat short, since it's worth reading most of the comments on here anyway.

TL;DR; I'm on-board like 95% with this post. And it's well-written. If you make posts like this in every forum, you'd seem to have a lot to offer to SWF, at least for those who have the time to read them.

SwiftOfDaSouth

Smash Journeyman
while i greatly appreciate your compliment, i believe greatest Smashboards post of all time would have to go to the guy who posted the first known thing about wavedashing, and had much difficulty describing it, leaving everyone very confused. haha.

edit: here it is. decided to take the took seconds necessary to actually google it. http://smashboards.com/threads/new-strategy-easter-egg-all-reader.12593/
Lol man that thread isn't endorsed by MIOM therefore this one is better. Plus, you know, analogies. And eloquence. And stuff.

Yo realtalk though that wavedashing post had everyone so confused rofl

Fashion

Smash Rookie
Nice pre-empts in the OP XD

I have some disagreements but I'm not interested in starting a fight on here - the post as a whole is still very well-written [and very long!] and makes a compelling argument, disagreements or no [it's really over one specific thing anyway, and one kind of derpy thing : P]. That, and the thread should probably be kept somewhat short, since it's worth reading most of the comments on here anyway.

TL;DR; I'm on-board like 95% with this post. And it's well-written. If you make posts like this in every forum, you'd seem to have a lot to offer to SWF, at least for those who have the time to read them.
hey it's totally cool. and i'm very glad you enjoyed my post overall.

if you don't mind, i'd still love to hear your counter-points. i'm always interested in trying to expand my perspective on things. if you'd prefer to pm it to me, that'd be fine. it's definitely helpful when someone can point something out that helps refine your argument on a topic.

freesubs

Smash Rookie
NNID
FreeSubs
Amazing post! Shout out to Praxis for leading me to this post from Reddit.

Going to show my friends (that also play Smash) this later. If you were on Reddit, I would give you gold haha.

Top Bottom