• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Man's quickest punish moves from a run

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
I decided to take a quick look at the speed difference between running u-smash, skid stop u-tilt, and short hop u-air, which are Mega Man's most damaging attacks that can be done quickly out of a dash. This is what I found.

http://gfycat.com/ClearcutFakeChihuahua

U-Smash is the fastest, it comes out on frame 8.
U-Tilt is the second fastest, it comes out 10 frames later than U-Smash.
U-air is the slowest, 12 frames later than U-Smash.

Dash Grab comes out on frame 8, same as U-Smash. Mega Man's most damaging throw does 11 damage. Whether you should do this or U-smash depends on how close you are to the ledge behind you and whether they are at U-Smash's kill percent.
Nothing too mind-blowing but it is something to keep in mind when choosing how to punish your opponent.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Did you try a SH NAir out of a dash ? I know it only deals 2 or 4 %, but it's way safer :-/
Oh, and Blank point Dash Attack deals 10 % btw.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Dash Attack is frame 8. It's not really good for punishes, just coverage.

From Jumpsquat to the time the move connects, SH Nair is frame 11. However, that generally is not something you use to punish moves unless you're at 0 and want your opponent to miss a tech or something.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
True enough for me. Charge Shot does it better (but is way slower). I still think it isn't THAT bad at higher %, since it will put your opponent close to a ledge, or send him completely off-stage, giving you more space in both cases. Now, I must acknowlege that Nair on an airborne opponnent is bad, because it has a really poor range... But you can still use your Jabs or Ftilts to keep him in the air somehow, then link a Nair. I still don't get how it can be possible, but if it works, we might as well think about it...

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
RAR Bair comes out faster than SH Nair. I'm having a bit of a hard time telling from the video (the animation is janky) but it's somewhere between frame 8-10.
SH Sweetspot nair has a unique use because of its knockback angle. Puts them in a tight spot. Personally, I find it isn't really something you go fishing for unless you're already using pellets for something else.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Did you test Dsmash? I think the only relevant punish moves you should look at are the smashes, utilt, and RAR Bair.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Don't forget run > slow run > skid Utilt!

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Did you test Dsmash? I think the only relevant punish moves you should look at are the smashes, utilt, and RAR Bair.
Sorry, just noticed this.
I don't really see the point of testing D-Smash since Skid Stop u-tilt is way faster for the same damage and KB.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Is Dsmash te same? Still see if it comes out faster though.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
D-Smash covers more area, since it hits on both sides and its strong hitbox can work even higher up in the air. There are specific situations where it can be used but it is generally outclassed by Up Smash for coverage and Up Tilt for punishes.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
D-Smash covers more area, since it hits on both sides and its strong hitbox can work even higher up in the air. There are specific situations where it can be used but it is generally outclassed by Up Smash for coverage and Up Tilt for punishes.
You know why dsmash is so bad? Aside from the fack of its horrible lag its horizontal coverage is terrigle amd it has more vertical coverge!?!?!? Whats the point? You cant punish almost anything with it when your opponnent is infront of you.. and some characters can completely roll around you! I wish it was a multihitbpx as it was at the beggining! That will surely make megaman better at punishing :/

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
It would be badass of after the initial big hitbox the fire would act like PK Fire and trap ppl.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Honestly, from the looks of that, while it's cool that it used to be a multihit, it didn't seem as strong so i don't think it would be good for killing, and seems like the opponent would still have enough time to take a sip of tea and them smack you with a smash of choice if you missed. Even if flame blast was now as it was pre-launch, it would still be as useless as it is now :l ...

But hey, at least LS hits twice now! Sometimes...

Anyways, guess i will be using running up smash more for punishes now, but considering that utilt still kills earlier and that you are boned if you miss either one of them anyways, i think utilt out of a skid stop is better.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I'm starting to think that Mega Man should rarely, if ever, approach by running. Being able to ftilt, utilt, or ftilt at any time is just so useful, especially when you buffer them out of powershield. Mega Man's run isn't even that much faster than his walk so why deny yourself the options your tilts give you?

I've been trying to avoid running forward, for the most part. Generally I only run when I quickly need to close/create space for an aerial, dash/pivot grab, or pivot ftilt.

Top Bottom