• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Man good stages and combos/setups.

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Hey smash boards,

I'm an aspiring mega man/villy main and I thought this would be the best place to ask:

What are some good stages for megaman?
I would think stages with lower ceilings, as u-titlt d-smash and u-smash all kill off top, but b-air is also great and kills off sides

And are there any nifty combos or setups I should learn, or any resource to find these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
We have a pretty good wall jump. So a lot of stages with that helps. Duck.hunt is pretty solid. Learn how to metal blade diagnal to mega upper for a kill confirm as well.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
I almost always go to battlefield if I can. The platforms are very good for us. I would also say that we benefit from the higher roof since utilt kills really early anyways, and you shouldn't fish for utilt or usmash so the opponent will likely live to high, no matter what stage you pick.

Sometimes I go to Lylat, a stage which I have been liking more and more lately.

I almost always ban TnC, because as I said earlier I don't think we benefit from a lower ceiling. Imo we don't have any really bad stages so just pick whatever you're most comfortable with.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
megaman's best stage is probably duck hunt, the stage highly favors our projectile playstyle. its got ducks that pester opponents from approaching and messes up their positioning. we got stage advantage here because of that and the dog that pops out of nowhere works well and makes our disjointed boxes even more disjointed and hard to predict.

im not a fan of battlefield, ppl say the platforms work good for the upair, but the platforms messes up my playstyle of megaman, because i like to jump and sometimes i land on top of platforms and that puts me in stage disadvantage cuz i get bad positionig. the ledges suck cuz its hard to wall jump and you can get on-stage spiked from the lip of the stage, falcon dair goes through the lip. or zss down b

fd is usually bad for megaman, not always, but like you'll not wanna take yoshi there. while we can deal with yoshi's egg game...a good yoshi player will keep the neutral at a 60-40 in their advantage, reason being that our lemons get beat out in dmg by eggs, and eggs have a wonky arc that makes it challenging to fight against...its just against a good yoshi player, taking him to fd is going to be 60-40 alot of the time

lylat is a double edge sword for us. either we win hard or lose hard. the ledges can work wonders for us or not. you'd usually wanna take charachs with bad recoveries here

dreamland is decent...i dont play this stage much so idk

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I wouldn't bank on getting dsmash kills. That move is crazy hard to use well. At the moment, I'm probably throwing that move out once every ten matches at best.

Anyway, I don't think Mega Man has really bad stages. It's more about picking what stage is bad for the opponent. Most of the time, Lylat is annoying but we can even do some neat utilt stuff there or stick Crash Bombs to the floor easily.

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Wow, thanks a lot guys!

Good to know, I've always kind of liked duckhunt but this helps know it is probably good, and thanks for the other recommendations too!

ravemaster47

Smash Ace
NNID
ravemaster47
I really like lylat for megaman as well. The tilts mess up our projectile game a bit, but as me tioned, taking characters with bad recovers there is an excellent choice. I tend to take mario bros, DK, and falcon there quite a bit.

Greward

Smash Lord
Best stage usually depends on matchup, personally i feel like lylat is megaman's worst because the ground can eat out our projectiles. But hey there's people in this thread who like it so I guess it's on personal taste.

BF / DL64 are good to get Bair kills, since platforms makes the opponent weaker to juggling. Big flat stages aka FD and duck hunt are good to enforce our keepaway neutral game. T&C is pretty neat, has both platforms and is large, and helps getting kills since low blastzone. SV is ok too.

About combos, main MM combos are:
Ftilt [x2] - nair
Landing Up air into aerial (another up air is the hugest payoff usually)
MB straight into grab / dash attack
Dthrow to fair/bair/uair/nair
MB diagonal up into fair/bair
tossed jump cancel MB into bair (works best on fatties)
(in the air) diagonal MB down into uptilt/grab/usmash (usually called zigma upper when done with uptilt)

and well then there's setups which are not true combos but will usually be followed up. Try to be creative. But MM is not a "combo" character.

Last edited:

Jadester

Smash Rookie
NNID
JadesterCubed
Best stage usually depends on matchup, personally i feel like lylat is megaman's worst because the ground can eat out our projectiles. But hey there's people in this thread who like it so I guess it's on personal taste.

BF / DL64 are good to get Bair kills, since platforms makes the opponent weaker to juggling. Big flat stages aka FD and duck hunt are good to enforce our keepaway neutral game. T&C is pretty neat, has both platforms and is large, and helps getting kills since low blastzone. SV is ok too.

About combos, main MM combos are:
Ftilt [x2] - nair
Landing Up air into aerial (another up air is the hugest payoff usually)
MB straight into grab / dash attack
Dthrow to fair/bair/uair/nair
MB diagonal up into fair/bair
tossed jump cancel MB into bair (works best on fatties)
(in the air) diagonal MB down into uptilt/grab/usmash (usually called zigma upper when done with uptilt)

and well then there's setups which are not true combos but will usually be followed up. Try to be creative. But MM is not a "combo" character.
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I've known that MegaMan isn't really a character with a ton of combos, but it always helps to know a few.

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Thanks for the info! Yeah, I've known that MegaMan isn't really a character with a ton of combos, but it always helps to know a few.
Respectfully going to disagree with that but whatever (I agree on the TRUE combo side though). As for great stages, I only really dislike Lylat as it messes up his projectile game. More open stages like FD are great for getting mobility with DITCIT and stages with platforms like Battlefield and Dreamland open up more complex combos and setups with Metal Blade and Rush. I'd have to agree with Greward that the best stage MM should go to is matchup dependent.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Regarding stage I also feel that it's very matchup dependent. Instead of "what stage is good for me" I think more "what stage is bad for my opponent" (personally or character wise)

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
wat do you guys think about zss mu taking her to dreamland than bf? i know dreamland has lower ceiling but bf has lower platforms to screw out spacing over. i hate bf ledges when zss down b can just clip us or go through the stage. dl is my preferred choice

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Lylat is a great counter pick since you can actually cancel up tilt with the side platforms either in mid wormhole or tilted

I also prefer Dreamland over Battlefield. I guess killing earlier comes as a preference but I've tended not to use charge shot as much as you'd imagine so I've always appreciate that preference that the ceiling is lower no matter the match up.

Megamang

Smash Lord
ZSS loves dreamland, she can get ludicrously early kills there with boost kick. That said, you are gonna kill her earlier too. If you like it there, be very wary of her grabs and boost kick confirms. Its preference really, id avoid FD because her landing traps are deadly.

For characters with bad recovery, id suggest battlefield. The size of the blastzones means you'll live longer (mega is hella heavy), you can negate this with gimps and offstage bairs.

Top Bottom