• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mega Man and BIDOU

Do you think bidou will be useful for Mega Man?

• Total voters

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
I thought about this last night: what if we use bidou for megaman? This sounds crazy. We lose boost blade, but I think we can gain much more than that: consistancy. When I analyze my own matches, I seem to get hit when I mess up in a zoning wall in pelleting. A solution to that, I think, is bidou.

Since the right stick acts as a 1 frame input in whatever direction you move it in, I think that we will be able to turn tap jump on (it will be a big adjustment) and use the c stick to perfectly short hop every time.

In conjunction with this, we make a shoulder button the atttack to be able to pellet as we please. This technique will allow for perfect short hops every time.

I will personally be trying to keep the gamecube controller as my main controller for as long as Smash Bros. allows me to. I will personally use the L Button as a special button (as I never use it in the first place), switch z to attack, and x to grab (as I don't use it to jump anyways).

I feel like this can really give us an edge in the competitive scene.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if you want perfect short hop nairs, I just use L for jump, and if you set c stick to attack and used a diagonal input it would do nair while allowing you to move freely

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
I mean, if you want perfect short hop nairs, I just use L for jump, and if you set c stick to attack and used a diagonal input it would do nair while allowing you to move freely
The tech is not necessarily about the nair part, but the short hop. I can pellet wall, but I notice that whenever I mess up, I get punished immensely. I just want to eliminate the human error of not short hopping properly.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I never fail short hoping with standard controls, sliding the thump over attack and jump is not a hard thing to do. I rather mess up full hops when pelleting because I'm so used to sliding my thumb for aerials or nairs. Bidou sounds interesting though will have to try it.

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
How does bidou take away boost blade?

Wont A+L count as a smash attack?

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
How does bidou take away boost blade?

Wont A+L count as a smash attack?
Yeah, we can still do it the "manual" way (A+B smash). So we won't lose it.
As for bidou. I just...really don't want to change my controls so drastically.

Doctor_Panduck

Smash Rookie
NNID
quickpoison
Yeah, we can still do it the "manual" way (A+B smash). So we won't lose it.
As for bidou. I just...really don't want to change my controls so drastically.
That's understandable. I was just mentioning an idea. I'm not 100% convinced that it will work well. I just want to put it out there as an idea.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Ditcit is not needed to dominate with mega man though. Id say if you can achieve as good and natural flowchart with bidou as you have on current controller. Obviously bidou will be much stronger even if it means losing ditcit.

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
i cant think of much use here
yet

i mean perfect pivots are the best bidou unlock

and mega man's doesn't seem terribly useful.

but i'm open

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
movement overall is improved a lot besides pivots. Frame perfect rars are a godsend after MBs and other confirms for example. Wavedash spot dodge is a handy move for getting in position for an up smash etc.

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
movement overall is improved a lot besides pivots. Frame perfect rars are a godsend after MBs and other confirms for example. Wavedash spot dodge is a handy move for getting in position for an up smash etc.
yeah i'm not a megamain but i'm interested so humor me. i see how the frame perf rar bairs are good from mb confirms.

you mean pp spot dodge.

but its not terribly useful because megaman has like the shortest pp lol
but maybe idk. micro micro spacing

Last edited:

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
wow yeah
Bair is frame 4
if we can frame perfect RAR
why ever use Fair? (frame 9)
haha

i just think it will be hard to switch between Bidou being on and off so much
because mega man uses so many specials. but it can be done with practice for sure

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Real talk, bidou tech isn't really useful at all for Mega Man. Also you do not need to radically change your control scheme to special stick. You can also have Smash Stick and AB Smash on to perform bidou type stuff if you wanted to. Its just slightly harder than the special stick.

Pivots aren't really hard to do, and I guess the most useful thing from them is grounded retreating pellets. Its pretty good in the Mewtwo and Bayonetta MU I guess and situations where you need to be more in the ground.

Last edited:

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
Real talk, bidou tech isn't really useful at all for Mega Man. Also you do not need to radically change your control scheme to special stick. You can also have Smash Stick and AB Smash on to perform bidou type stuff if you wanted to. Its just slightly harder than the special stick.

Pivots aren't really hard to do, and I guess the most useful thing from them is grounded retreating pellets. Its pretty good in the Mewtwo and Bayonetta MU I guess and situations where you need to be more in the ground.
i agree it doesn't feel very useful. easy ledge trump helps somewhat. easy frame perfect RAR bairs might be good tho. currently learning it anyway so i'll let ya know if any reliable combos open up

is bidou ditcit possible?? anyone done it?

Last edited:

PseudoPac

Smash Rookie
Bidou seems to solve problems I don't have while taking away some valuable movement options. Megaman's perfect pivot is borderline useless with the little distance it covers along with the lack of meaningful options out it. I can RAR back air. I can ledge trump. I can not, however, do retreating fairs, up airs, or nairs without c-stick set to attack. The way I see it, Bidou allows me to consistently perform useless tech in exchange for my familiarity with my controller. Not exactly a fair trade.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think it is way to complicated to be worth it honestly. Our Pp isn't going to help with that much like it will with other chars. I think changing your entire control scheme just to get these little things would set you back more than it is worth.

You are better off putting your time into working on reading your opponents, because honestly whoever can read their opponent the best is going to be the winner in the long run.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Retreting fairs Up airs and nairs shouldn't be a problem on any problems on standard button config without c-stick. I can also trump and Rar. But 1 frame turnaround is not eazy for rars to say the least.

Last edited:

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
trump is easy with mega man because you dont have to fastfall.
i'm making the switch to bidou across the board and have been labbing a lot of mega man. here's the positives i find:
  • helpful for easy perfect RARS
  • instant turnaround is very relevant for mega man. MB->zDrop(facing away)->tunaround is relevant. very. jab out of it, grab, nair, etc.
  • you can also insta-turnaround while lemon-hopping to change directions immediately during the tiny moments your feet touch the ground. thats awesome.
will report more as i find it
i imagine having a dedicated fastfall stick would help with dynamic and fluid lemon-hop movement. will try that out soon.

8383d3 90 90 10 hundred

Smash Apprentice
and yeah retreating aerials are do-able. you just point the stick momentarily in the other direction. i tested and couldn't see myself losing any momentum or distance also.

Last edited:

Unix

Smash Cadet
I thought about this last night: what if we use bidou for megaman? This sounds crazy. We lose boost blade, but I think we can gain much more than that: consistancy.
¿The Boost Blade with C-stick or A+B?
I use A+B, my C-stick is set to attack ¿Why? I can use Advancing/retreating Nair, cancel Run animation (Run to Walk), AND...

Bidou with normal controls (C-stick is set to Attack):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gFCEZ_aaQ

I do not think it necessary to incapacitate Mega Man using Bidou Custom Controls.

Anyway Bidou is not easy, adapt to a different configuration and practice without custom controls are equally difficult.

Bidou special button tech is a glitch.

Megamang

Smash Lord
The only reason it would matter if it was a glitch, is that it gets removed. I don't think this would be easy, either something fundamental about movement would have to change (very unlikely) or something about the way the controls are inputted when multiple presses are done would have to be changed (also very unlikely)

I say these things are unlikely because they would probably have lots of other unintended effects on the game, which isn't something they often do in patch cycles this late.

Top Bottom