• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mechanics to Practice for a Tournament

Valkauv

Smash Rookie
I'm planning to enter a tournament near me in NC with Lucas. This just a general advice thread as to what I should practice and emphasize the most. The most trouble I have right now is DJC'ing aerials. I can DJC PKF fine, but DJC'ing aerials I cannot seem to get off for some reason.

As well, other general advice regarding Lucas would be appreciated. I should post videos of myself playing soon, so you can get an idea of what I need to work on. I've been playing for around a month, so any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Don't worry about DJC aerials. This is a common misconception and one that I fell into a lot last year. Focus on proper spacing, getting the most out of your hits, and playing safe. Just keep it simple and stay near center stage. Everyone always wants to rush down the ledge with dash attack, go for super deep ledge guards, and get flashy kills. Play it simple and watch how many times people will flub attacks near you just so they can attempt to resume stage control.

Use movement options and don't stay forced into shield. Use rolls sparingly as Lucas' roll isn't the best. Wavedash is a nice option OoS as with combined using dash dancing. Movement alone is a good pressure option at times and can bait your opponent to do stupid moves they normally wouldn't.

Don't dash attack a lot / throw out laggy moves and wait for your openings in neutral. Use PKF only at a far enough range and make sure to jump cancel all of your grabs. Check out my guide for specifics on throws and safe approaches. Dtilt is a good move in neutral as a poke. Nair is a solid pressure option.

Edit: noticed you said you've only been playing a month. Like I said, keep it simple and ask everyone for tips. Don't expect to pull out dominating wins, but do your best and see how well you do.

Last edited:

Valkauv

Smash Rookie
Don't worry about DJC aerials. This is a common misconception and one that I fell into a lot last year. Focus on proper spacing, getting the most out of your hits, and playing safe. Just keep it simple and focus on center stage. Everyone always wants to rush down the ledge with dash attack, go for super deep ledge guards, and get flashy kills. Play it simple and watch how many times people will flub attacks near you just so they can attempt to resume stage control.

Use movement options and don't stay forced into shield. Use rolls sparingly as Lucas' roll isn't the best. Wavedash is a nice option OoS as with combined using dash dancing. Movement alone is a good pressure option at times and can bait your opponent to do stupid moves they normally wouldn't.

Don't dash attack a lot / throw out laggy moves and wait for your openings in neutral. Use PKF only at a far enough range and make sure to jump cancel all of your grabs. Check out my guide for specifics on throws and safe approaches. Dtilt is a good move in neutral as a poke. Nair is a solid pressure option.

Edit: noticed you said you've only been playing a month. Like I said, keep it simple and ask everyone for tips. Don't expect to pull out dominating wins, but do your best and see how well you do.
Thanks for the reply.
I made a quick video to show my current level and have you critique my play, if you wish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDYiWcXUNg
Just basic warming up in Training then facing a lvl 9 Ike. Should be noted that normally I play Netplay and this was just used to pull a quick video.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Sorry if I'm a little lazy and didn't watch the entire thing. I'm being a bit less harsh as I know netplay / emulators sometimes make inputs slightly harder. With that said, here's what I recognized:

From a few quick minutes, I noticed your wavedashes are a bit off. Try to clean those up so you're always at top speed and not being restricted by poor movement (no offense). Add in a bit of dash dancing and make yourself seem less predictable.

Your SHFFL aerials look alright, but can obviously be better. Learn the exact timings when Lucas is at the apex of his short hop. Short hop -> fast fall without doing anything else. This will help you recognize his short hop height and time that you can fast fall. Try short hopping then keep hitting down so that Lucas fast falls the first available frame. Once you learn the exact timing you obviously won't need to mash hitting down. Then add in your SHFFL aerials, and finally account for the hitlag during combos.

When you're off-stage facing away from center stage, use a magnet to turn around. When your back is to the stage, you lose the option of tethering to the ledge and the only good rising aerial becomes the low priority Uair. When you're facing towards the stage, you gain the options of tether, air dodge -> tether, and Fair / rising Fair.

Be able to jump out of magnet as quickly as possible. Play around with debug mode and learn the first frame you can jump / WD out (with hitlag). You will lose followups when you're not quick enough out of magnet. For the amount of time you've been playing, you're at a good spot for the WD out of magnet.

As I tell everybody, always jump cancel your grabs. JC grab is 1 frame faster and has infinitely less end lag. Whiffed standing grab already has tons of end lag that can be punished easily. Whiffed dash grab feels like you got your shield broken.

Know your Uthrow kill %. Pull up my guide and reference the Uthrow kill % chart (you are allowed to do this during tournament play). I do this lately as I have not memorized the 3.5 %'s. I had a good feel for the %'s in 3.0, but I'm still trying to remember the 3.5 timings.

Generally 135+ is a good area that Uthrow begins killing on most characters. My personal rule of thumb:
  • Floaties: 125%
  • Mid-weights: 135%
  • Heavies: 142%
  • Fast Fallers: 165-180%
    • Typically throw them down or back around 120-140%. Most of the heavy / fast falling chars have punishable recoveries (DK, Falcon, Space Animals, etc). If they don't DI the Dthrow properly (behind Lucas) then use Dthrow -> Upsmash / Bair as a kill setup. If they do start DI'ing the Dthrow, use back throw as a DI mixup.
I like that when you don't connect with a PKF, you back off and wait for another one to hit. Be wary of PKF being clanked (by a jab or aerial), or crouch cancelled and the opponent does a counter attack (Fsmash, run up grab, or just shields and punishes a bad approach).

Last edited:
Top Bottom