• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meaning of the Smash Bros. logo

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Has it ever been stated what the meaning of the Super Smash Bros. sign is?

You know, this thing.

What is its deal, exactly? Is it some kind of...unused Nintendo logo? Has Sakurai ever actually talked about it at all?

Some say that it's two swords clashing, to emphasize the fighting nature of this series (some instances of it show this; the end of the Smash 64 intro and the beginnings of Smash 4 newcomer trailers). Others say that (for whatever reason) it's the sun behind the window frame of the SSB 64 intro with the desk and toys (which doesn't convince me in the least, since when you watch the thing, there's nothing there at all).

Sure, the page there says "its exact meaning is unknown", but is there some source from Sakurai that we don't know about that explains it?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe Sakurai stated at some point that the lines within the circle cross with each other in order to represent a "crossover" which is practically what Smash more or less is, a crossover game. I can't recall if he said that he did that on purpose or he randomly stumbled upon this logo idea though.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
That does make sense. They always say "cross" in Japan to refer to a crossover of any kind, don't they?

But where did you hear about that from, exactly?

Well, maybe that's the idea. It has no meaning.
I guess a better way to phrase the question is "What are it's origins?" Obviously it means "Smash Bros." but how was it thought up?

I've wondered this for years now. I personally like the window frame origin, though I doubt that is the case.

Khao

Smash Lord
I believe Sakurai stated at some point that the lines within the circle cross with each other in order to represent a "crossover" which is practically what Smash more or less is, a crossover game. I can't recall if he said that he did that on purpose or he randomly stumbled upon this logo idea though.
Haven't heard about Sakurai saying that, but I was thinking of the same, and even if he didn't actually say this, I'm willing to think of this as the actual reasoning.

Two lines crossing is basically an equivalent to all these universes colliding with eachother. It... could very well be an X instead of a +, but this way, and being a circle and the lines being not-centeded is likely a stylistic choice to make it more unique and easier to identify.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
It means "Crossover" makes the most sense, But we could just have the boring answer that he came up with it with no meaning.

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
In addition, rule of cool. It's an aesthetically pleasing, simple but powerful logo that means "Smash Bros". People see it and know what it means. Thus, it fulfills it's purpose. No internal meaning required.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That's exactly what I always thought it meant.

Any idea why the two intersecting lines are different widths?

My contrived answer is that Smash is the meeting of two unlike paths. Or many, for that matter, but more lines intersecting looks bad (just look at Brawl's difficulty icons)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I always thought of it as a window for some reason but I guess I never really thought of it that much.

MarsTX

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2492-4897-2958
I always sorta thought it was the explosions that occur when a character is KO'd vertically and horizontally.

CaptainCrisb

Smash Journeyman
In addition, rule of cool. It's an aesthetically pleasing, simple but powerful logo that means "Smash Bros". People see it and know what it means. Thus, it fulfills it's purpose. No internal meaning required.
Yeah, when I went to Smash Fest and I got the Smash Logo pin, I walked down to buy a soda and this kid came up to me and asked me where I got it (funny because you'd think he'd know himself, considering the extraordinarily long line and posters everywhere). The Smash logo has really been recognized lately, even by the casuals.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Any idea why the two intersecting lines are different widths?

My contrived answer is that Smash is the meeting of two unlike paths. Or many, for that matter, but more lines intersecting looks bad (just look at Brawl's difficulty icons)
There's always a point where intent meets raw design. Aesthetics don't always carry symbolism.

Hey look I'm drunk and posting about design on smash boards on a week night. Can't wait for Sm4sh to come out.

edit: I'm glad you brought up the difficulty level variations. They didn't fit as logos, but they served their purpose in a way that made me smile

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
You notice how the Symbol is a Circle indicating that all the characters seem to have an equal chance fighting each other? Then the logo is split up into 4 sides, showing division and the largest side being the dominant character.

Just my thoughts.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
You notice how the Symbol is a Circle indicating that all the characters seem to have an equal chance fighting each other? Then the logo is split up into 4 sides, showing division and the largest side being the dominant character.

Just my thoughts.
that's deep man

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I barely remember but,

I remember sakurai stating that it represents (the lines) 4 players, and some sort of "crossover", its been a awhile since i last heard about that topic .-.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I always saw the circle in the logo as being a boundary between worlds, and the lines are shattering the boundaries - bringing them down. So, yeah, crossover.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, it could be a leftover from the original Dragon King beta. Who knows?

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
@ Curious Villager Curious Villager is right, I've heard that before

But I'm pretty sure there's some point in Smash 64 that utilizes the window to make the logo. It's been a long time...
I think the logo in smash 64 is represented by the sun shining through the window pane at one point. The sun being the circle and the cross in the window making the cross in the logo.
I've always thought that the logo shown in this way just sort of represents the child in the room some way. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Last edited:

kazrisk

twitch.tv/kazrisk
NNID
kazrisk
Could be the explosions from when you KO horizontally and vertically and representing death.
Could be a symbol of crossing over and representing diversity.
Could be representing four players and one being dominant and representing power.
Could be the sun shining through the window and all the world outside and representing adventure.
Could be showing a world being divided and united to create a new one to represent unity, friendship, and eternal bonds.
It is the Smash Ball, and it has a deep depth of meaning that we will never comprehend.

Sakurai is brilliant.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
The logo in smash 64 is represented by the sun shining through the window pane at one point. The sun being the circle and the cross in the window making the cross in the logo.
I've always thought that the logo shown in this way just sort of represents the child in the room some way. Can't quite put my finger on it.

No

No

No

No

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Probably some Illuminati Symbolisms to it.

srsly, tho. I always thought of it as two Sword Slices - one vertical and one horizontal.
Just looks good.

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
That's pretty much what it is.

It's formed like that at the very end of the N64 opening. And at the beginnings of SSB4 newcomer trailers.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

It's not that hard guys. The game was designed to showcase the four player capabilities of the N64.

So you have a circle split into four, where the "split" resembles the number 4.

It's simplicity also makes it very flexible, meaning it can be implemented into all sorts of emblems and crests.

Sakurai's design philosophy regarding graphics design is that items should be big, simple, and convey what the subject is about with minimalism. You can even see this philosophy in the menu icons for Brawl and KI:U, which have a similar minimalistic design to the Smash logo.

I've always seen this, and I'm surprised not many other people seem to.

Top Bottom