• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mayflash GCN Adapter First Impressions

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
So, I just got the Mayflash GCN Adapter that was on ebay for like $19.90 before the price jacked up to $34. I've waited for 2 weeks and dare I say: it works! Shouldn't be a surprise considering how it should. Hear me out: when Smashboards first posted the link, I was a tad skeptical because it was a third party adapter and I'm not one to trust anything that's not official. However, I noticed they were quickly being sold out and I decided to bite the dust.

Now that it's hear, my worries are gone. It works just as good as the official one from Nintendo. I went to a tournament a week (or was it two weeks?) ago that had the official adapter and I can safely say, there's no input lag from what I'm seeing right now. For what it's worth, at $20 it's the best thing to get. However, since the now price is at $34, I wouldn't try to buy it until the price goes down. It sucks for those who haven't gotten the chance to buy it, but just wait until either they make more or Nintendo finally gets the right idea to produce more of their official ones.

Now, keep in mind I've only tried this out on the Wii U and not on my PC. Right now, I'm merely enjoying the fact that I can now use my GameCube controller for the Wii U on Smash. My Classic Controller Pro is starting to die on me as I notice it's not being as responsive as it once was, which is a shame since I loved that thing when I got it for MH Tri on the Wii.

The cable to connect it to the Wii U is long, about twice the length of my arm and I have average sized arms for a 6 foot guy, so if you're worried it'd be small - then worry no more.

For $20 it's worth buying, and waiting 2 weeks. For $34? ... Not really.

LoneSalBug

Smash Rookie
Could you try it out on a PC and let us know how it goes please? I'm looking at one to buy on Ebay right now but I'll be using it for Melee on PC so any input lag would make the whole thing not worth buying.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
I've done some emulator tests and here are my results:

• ZSnes works perfectly.
  • Project64 1.6 can't seem to work with the GCN Controller, even if I tweaked settings.
  • VisualBoyAdvance works like a charm.
  • VirtuaNes doesn't work.
  • DeSmuMe works well, if a tad awkward with the controller set up.
  • My ePSXe and PPSSPP (PS1 and PSP emulators) don't recognize it sadly.
  • Lastly, the Dolphin Emulator, it recognizes and it will map easily without much tweaking. I just press the buttons and boom, it's mapped!

I've done some tests again with some games and they work as well as any other controller such as the 360 controller or my Logitech F310. It's still a shame it won't work on my VirtuaNES, but I still have my 360 controller so it's not much of a problem. I sadly can't run a game on Dolphin as I don't have a game to run it, so I can't give you a proper answer. However, if it works well on the other emulators without any input lag, I'm sure it'll work spectacular on the Dolphin emulator.

Addendum: If you also want to get it, make sure you switch the back to PC instead of Wii U. Your computer won't recognize it and won't install the proper drivers for it.

Last edited:

OldmanKarp

Smash Cadet
Last edited:

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
There is another one that is not made by Mayflash that is about $10 cheaper. There isn't really a brand name on the box
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gamecube controller adapter&_sop=15&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgamecube controller adapter for Wii U&_nkw=gamecube controller adapter for Wii U&_sacat=0
(the ones that start at around $26)

Has anyone tried these? If so are they reliable? (no input lag or anything I mean).
For some reason, it just takes me to the list of items on eBay and not the actual product itself.

Cthulhu_MD

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LordGouda
3DS FC
3179-6069-0553
Yeah that was lazy on my part I intended for people to scroll down and find the ones that started around $26 dollars because the list was organized by price. I meant this thing though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAMECUBE-CO...146?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa1ed0492
Ah, okay. I've seen an article about this, but I'm not sure where again. From what I remember, it's a generic third-party adapter. I'm still not sure on the quality, but it shouldn't be hard at all to make it work. I'd say maybe ask around on /r/Smashbros as well to see if anyone bought it.

Last edited:

CHA0SPHERE

Smash Rookie
NNID
CHAOSPHERE_1988
I have the KELUX Gamecube adapter, and it works perfectly fine.
Looks exactly the same as the official adapter, minus the Wii U branding.

Alas, the price has gone up with demand just like the Mayflash adapter.

_Hades

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hades647
Definitely agree with the skeptical part, when I ordered mine I was feeling the same way but after receiving it I believe its just as good as the official one. Never the less I would of bought the official one if I was able to at the time but realistically it does the job and thats all that matters lol

danzibr

Smash Cadet
I got mine from Play Asia and it came in like 3 freaking days. I ordered it Friday afternoon and got it Monday evening. I have no idea how that happened (I did spend the extra $4 for the better fishing, but still, from China?).

Oh, and it works perfectly, as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom