• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Maybe some usefulness in Dtilt "zoning" (video included)

LanceStern

Smash Lord
So I was sitting down practicing with Peach and contemplating what makes her great and what makes it tough to use her. She does great combos, most attacks are lagless if auto-cancelled, she is pretty hard to combo, etc etc… The few things I thought about was her inability to reliable KO early and her tough matchups. I thought some more and realized most of her tough matchups (MK, Marth, Snake, ROB, Falco) come because they outrange her horizontally, and even more general, Peach has trouble sometimes due to the lack of her horizontal range.

I decided to check out frame data on her attacks and stumbled across dtilt. Reading on, I saw that it is interruptable as soon as… pretty early! So I thought, “What if I could bait the opponents into our horizontal zone? That would make it much easier?” The best way to bait is to give the illusion of vulnerability which makes the opponent abandon safe spacing for more profitable punishment. With all that said I thought about dtilt sliding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aueqivY5Isc

What I found was you can have a pretty nice wall of attacks coming endlessly from Peach. From Dtilt, you can have a number of options which are also mentioned in the video:

1. If they try to attack by rushing in directly during the dtilt, cancel it with a jab. It comes out ridiculously fast
2. If they try to cross up or approach with a short hop aerial, interrupt the dtilt using a ground-floated nair or full hop nair. This should stop just about any characters’ aerial approach or at least trade blows.
3. If they decide to just stand in front of you or slowly approach by walking, use an instant dash attack to catch them off guard. It has the biggest range in her arsenal and comes out REALLY fast.

Let me know what you guys think. I feel it’s not going to drag Peach up tiers, but it does provide more opportunities for ground-mixups especially option 3, I’m an aggressive Peach player.

I would not recommend doing this in the danger zones of Marth/Snake/MK of course. That would be foolish.

P.S. ~ Speaking of option 2, if you look at the video when I perform a float-cancelled nair during the dtilt, it slingshots Peach back pretty fast. Could be worth looking into as a type of moonwalk for peach.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
ah, I remember when Edrees was doing this gay **** to me in friendlies about 6 months ago or so at an SCSA tourney. It's not the greatest thing in the world to spam but a spaced dtilt is good bait to make people run into jabs b/c they think they can hit you. It could probably work with grab too or ftilt.

One thing Edrees kept doing to me was dtilt to fsmash. Kind of like a low-high, thing. If you don't powershield a spaced dtilt or predict it by jumping early or simultaneously then it gets hard to get to Peach before she can sliding fsmash or away. Dtilt to fsmash isn't a bad string to throw out once in a while because fsmash anti-aerials so you can't jump over dtilt. This is probably more effective vs characters w/ slower ground or air speed like Peach, Lucario, or Gdubz or somethin' else. Oh and it's probably best used when the opponent is near the ledge just because they won't have the room to back down and retreat or to maneuver around it somehow. I find that dtilt is also a bit tougher for people to deal with when you're under a platform b/c that cuts off some aerial options or it makes people have to aerial a lot later if they were to try to jump and phase through the platform and then aerial.

Dtilt prob requires precise spacing though but that's not a problem. You should probably be spacing this so that it might not hit people because Dtilt is the bait anyway and you rly don't want people powershielding it anyway.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
ah, I remember when Edrees was doing this gay **** to me in friendlies about 6 months ago or so at an SCSA tourney. It's not the greatest thing in the world to spam but a spaced dtilt is good bait to make people run into jabs b/c they think they can hit you. It could probably work with grab too or ftilt.

One thing Edrees kept doing to me was dtilt to fsmash. Kind of like a low-high, thing. If you don't powershield a spaced dtilt or predict it by jumping early or simultaneously then it gets hard to get to Peach before she can sliding fsmash or away. Dtilt to fsmash isn't a bad string to throw out once in a while because fsmash anti-aerials so you can't jump over dtilt. This is probably more effective vs characters w/ slower ground or air speed like Peach, Lucario, or Gdubz or somethin' else. Oh and it's probably best used when the opponent is near the ledge just because they won't have the room to back down and retreat or to maneuver around it somehow. I find that dtilt is also a bit tougher for people to deal with when you're under a platform b/c that cuts off some aerial options or it makes people have to aerial a lot later if they were to try to jump and phase through the platform and then aerial.

Dtilt prob requires precise spacing though but that's not a problem. You should probably be spacing this so that it might not hit people because Dtilt is the bait anyway and you rly don't want people powershielding it anyway.

I hear you, and I noticed fsmash gets a lot of slide too. It would probably beat out aerials more so than trade blows.

The one thing I can think of with preferring nair is that if you DO connect with the nair out of dtilt slide, it has more potential for a follow up than fsmash, if you so choose to hit them. I'm thinking nair -> nair or nair -> grab etc...

Top Bottom