• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

May Smash Balls be considered tournament friendly?

Slashy

Smash Lord
On low of course, but I think they provide a balance to the character roster. Characters like Lucas and Ness can get Smash Balls easily, but they have bad Final Smashes, and vice versa.

Riolu

Smash Apprentice
I think they should be allowed, but they won't because they can tip the scale unfairly in someones favor.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
I think they would be cool in tournaments but the amount that show up needs to be toned down. Too many at one time, kind of reck the flow of the game for me.

Paingel

Smash Apprentice
I'd post, but what do I care? I'm too busy for tournies.

So then why did I post? Just to put things into perspective for those who are forgetting the fact that they won't be going to too many tournies anyways.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Just gonna bring this up yet again: ZSS, hard to get smash balls, ****ty FS, and wait, you turn into a ****tier character too! (no offense to Samus players)

Raustblackdragon

Smash Apprentice
Just gonna bring this up yet again: ZSS, hard to get smash balls, ****ty FS, and wait, you turn into a ****tier character too! (no offense to Samus players)
Let's assume that all of that's true, and that Samus is a worse character.

Then if you get a SECOND one, it's EASY to get a smash ball, BADASS final smash, and, just as an added bonus, you turn into a better character!

Furthermore, on low would be a TERRIBLE idea.

the less frequent they are, the more likely they'll be dispersed unevenly among characters.

1 smash ball appears in the match:

HUGE turn of the tables.

6 smash balls?

Most likely both people will get 2-4, it's not as bad.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I dont think it will work that well in 1v1, in free for all or 2v2 it would be quite good. They just make the game look much cooler.

aznboi92

Smash Rookie
i think that some tournaments might turn them on,

but i dont really like playing with smash balls, it ruins the fun sometimes,

cz if you get a final smash out, thats basically killing a stock

final smashes are fun and all but i dont perfer them in a tournament scene, last thing i want to hear about is losing cz somone was camping the whole time getting final smashes out :(

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Final Smashes might be tried in some liberal tournaments just to test them out -- at which point they'll realize how gamebreaking they are and ban them. Not that the game isn't already unbalanced without Final Smashes, but with them on, there are characters who can never, ever win a 1v1 against certain other characters.

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
My attitude before brawl: Final smashes are pretty fun, put them in tournaments

My attitude now I have brawl: Smash balls are all about luck and basically give people an edge they didn't deserve.

Smash balls shouldn't be in tournaments.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Well, I think of them as desperation moves. Many fighting games have them, it is all about how to avoid them. Take Pikmin and Olimar's final smash, you take damage, but you can charge up attacks, avoid the explosion, and punish him for using it. If a final smash fails, then you are left open for attack, Marth can get smashed if his final smash fails.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Depends on who you're using. Sonic's and Bowser's Final Smashes are likely too uber for tournaments. Meta Knight's has a limited range, so it would likely be allowed though.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I was doing very bad with Falco online the other nite because of the 1 second lag. But I got 1 final smash and got 4 kills off of it. I won, of course.

In other news, yeah, smash balls are very fair.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Great idea. In fact, lets put more one hit no skill items in tournaments! Hammers, Dragoons, **** yeah!

In reality, no. It makes a ton of characters completely pointless to play because their final smash is not a one hit kill. Sonic's, Link's, Ike's, Marth's, and others have completely busted final smashes that will always be a free KO (and Sonic and the Space Animals may even get two) just by hitting the B button. Brawl with items has become even more luck based than Melee thanks to the addition of Smash Balls and more one hit kill items, which pretty much means items will never be part of the tournament format.

Kinsei_Kensei

Smash Apprentice
I completely agree. I kick major but as Zamus. A smash ball appears. If I get it, I'm left with 2 options.

1. Get the smash ball and keep it from my friends so they can't use it against me. This leads to me becoming the prime target of the match.

2. Use it, thus leading to me becoming to one of my worst characters and dieing....alot....

In short, FS shouldn't be aloud because they are highly unbalanced (Sonic's FS vs. Kirby's) and usually have nothing to do with skill which is the reason Touneys happen in the first place. To compare skill, not single cheap shot attacks. Don't get me wrong, they're fun in normal game play, but if FS are aloud in Tourneys, we might as well have half the people competing tie one hand behind their back and let the other half break their opponets fingers before playing....

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I'm Torn on the issue. They're not random at all so people who say they are random are lieing.

Some characters do have crappy FSes, but some characters are just crappy, so i guess we should just ban the good characters?

Idk, i need to play with them more, but generally. if you get a kill off with a final smash, you Earned it.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet
I like it because it gives the game another objective and something to fight for, but I can see why it easily could be banned from tourneys and I don't blame them.. but I don't play in many tourneys, so it doesn't affect me that much.

Best101

Smash Ace
Great idea. In fact, lets put more one hit no skill items in tournaments! Hammers, Dragoons, **** yeah!

In reality, no. It makes a ton of characters completely pointless to play because their final smash is not a one hit kill. Sonic's, Link's, Ike's, Marth's, and others have completely busted final smashes that will always be a free KO (and Sonic and the Space Animals may even get two) just by hitting the B button. Brawl with items has become even more luck based than Melee thanks to the addition of Smash Balls and more one hit kill items, which pretty much means items will never be part of the tournament format.
Any decent Sonic player is garunteed 6+ kos with his final smash. With Falco I've got 8 kos with his Landmaster playing online. I know I played smash longer than most of those people and all, but 10 kosin 2 minutes is crazy. I don't even do that in Melee very often.

Edit: Then you have characters who can just use the final smash as soon as they get it AND get 5+ kos (Sonic, Space Animals), while with others like Ike and Link, you have to time your Final smash at the right time and you are garuanteed 1 ko and sometimes you don't even get a ko. So I'm seeing a 95% chance that Smash Balls won't be seen in tournament play.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
Smash balls are awesome, but only when there's more than two players. If it's a 1-on-1, a smash ball basically means a free kill. But add in another player, and you have to decide how you're going to use the smash ball for maximum damage: going for the stronger opponent or attempting to hit them all, positioning yourself... and all the while NOT getting it beaten out of you.

With this in mind, I think Smash Balls would be an interesting variation on tournament 2-on-2 fights, and can lead to a lot of interesting new strategies...but in tournament style 1-on-1, they're just too cheap.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
anyone else ever get 2 people caught in Ikes FS? cause he was Great eathering two peole last night at our smashparty.

aznboi92

Smash Rookie
anyone else ever get 2 people caught in Ikes FS? cause he was Great eathering two peole last night at our smashparty.
yes if they are standing near eachother and you use ikes fs then it will hit both :)

i hit 3 people before, got 2 people in the combo and one happend to walk when ike slammed down, only ko'd 2 of them though

Saigo

Smash Rookie
Let's assume that all of that's true, and that Samus is a worse character.

Then if you get a SECOND one, it's EASY to get a smash ball, BADASS final smash, and, just as an added bonus, you turn into a better character!

Furthermore, on low would be a TERRIBLE idea.

the less frequent they are, the more likely they'll be dispersed unevenly among characters.

1 smash ball appears in the match:

HUGE turn of the tables.

6 smash balls?

Most likely both people will get 2-4, it's not as bad.
Putting them on medium or high would also be a terrible idea. Have you seen how often they appear even on medium?

And besides, if both people get 2-4 FS's in a 3 stock match, then that means the ENTIRE match would be FS's, making the rest of the battle pointless. Why even fight with anything your characters have? Just wait for a Smash Ball and try to get it before your opponent so you can kill them once or twice. Not to mention the ramifications this will have on the metagame, the only viable characters would be the ones with ultra powerful FS's (Bowser, Sonic, Spacies just to name a few) leaving the game possibly more imbalanced in terms of characters than even Melee was.

Which brings me to my next point, I also used to be for Smash Balls in tournaments, until I started playing the game significantly. One of my friends that I play with plays Yoshi ALL the time, and seems to almost always get the all-too-often-even-on-low Smash Ball. The result? We're sent scrambling around for 20 seconds dodging this with no hope of doing anything to the Yoshi in question. After a while, we grew tired of this and other FS's and so we started to turn them off more regularly.

It was around this point that I noticed how imbalanced the FS's really were and how much they interrupt the flow of the game. As soon as the Smash Ball appears, then the game changes from "fight the other person" to "get the Smash Ball before they do", something that's a little more luck-based than one would think due to the haphazard trajectory of the Ball and seemingly variable HP of it. Then, once someone actually gets it, the game drastically changes again. For the recipient of the Smash Ball, depending on who they are, its either rampage around in a temporary god-mode to get as many kills as possible, try to set up for a hopeful kill with the FS, or sit there and be useless for a moment. For the opponent, its the same thing as dealing with a hammer. You go into a dodging frenzy for a certain amount of time. This just affects the flow of the matches as a whole in my opinion.

Also, whoever says that "if you kill with an FS then you've earned it" is not entirely true As I've said, the Smash Ball is a fickle thing and tends to go anywhere it pleases and last as long as it pleases. For instance, you're playing as Fox and you knock your opponent off the edge. A Smash Ball then appears in front of you. You're free to break it at your leisure because your opponent is too far away. You proceed to break it, blast your opponent off the stage, and then you wait until they respawn and then send them off the top of the stage. Then you repeat and win the match. Its an extreme example I know, but you just got 3 kills in a row when you should've rightfully have gotten only the first one, all because that fickle Smash Ball happened to appear right in front of you.

So yeah, I don't see Smash Balls being allowed in tourneys. Maybe in small side tournaments with small or no prizes, but not in the big money tourneys.

susu_atari

Smash Ace
Tournement friendy, yes.

But, if Smash Balls are on in a serious tournement, expect everyone to play as Pikachu.

He can get them easier than any other character with his Down+B and the Final Smash itself is the most ruinous in the game.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
The problem is not that the final smashes are too strong, it's that not everyone's final smash is too strong. In other words there's too big a gap between the better FS's and the worse ones. If everyone's final smash was basically a guaranteed KO, then I would say put them in tournaments, but the way they are now gives some characters too big an edge over the others.

susu_atari said:
But, if Smash Balls are on in a serious tournement, expect everyone to play as Pikachu.

...the Final Smash itself is the most ruinous in the game.
lolwut? Pikachu is my main and I can't even control the **** thing.

TheMoonman

Smash Cadet
I'd say they'd be uber-banned. The ban would be personally approved by God.

And it wouldn't mean Smash Balls would end up as garbage, as some of you may think. To me, Smash Balls work better in four player mash-ups where everything is hectic and crazy. When someone gets a Smash Ball in one of those kind of matches, it's okay 'cause it's fun and awesome.

thewiredknight

Smash Journeyman
1 v. 1 I'd say no; they're too overpowered for that and it's guaranteed death.

Free for All I'd say it's fine. Sure they can guarantee a KO but they really add to the hectic nature of a match and a lot of them have ways to counter them, especially with this many players on the field. It adds a level of strategy otherwise not presnt in the game if you ask me.

2 v. 2 I'd say maybe allow it, it would require some testing but I think it would create some interesting team strategies to have smash balls in play

Save for 1 v. 1 I think they're needed from turning SSBB into Melee 2.0

Timeaisis

Smash Cadet
Its funny you guys are talking about this. I went to a tournament last saturday, it had a good 30 people there, but I suppose it was somewhat casual because...The first rounds were <b> Four man brawl with Smashs Ball on</b>. For me, this was unheard of...I mean no items but smash ball on? Didn't make sense to me either. Needless to say, I got lucky and grabbed it twice (you could imagine how many times it pops out if items are on mid and its the only one out there) and was able to move on to (luckily) the 1v1 part. I lost, needless to say, but just wanted to share. I don't know about tournament friendly, but they're not THAT unbalanced, given that you really have to attack them quite a bit. And it is only stock lost if it hits...even though that sometimes (ohk, usually) the difference between a win and a loss.

And like people above me said...if everyone's final smash was just as good...it'd be a tad more fair. Unfortunately, thats not the case (*ahem* Peach).

Mama

Smash Ace
Yea keep Smash Balls in the FFAs we tried them in a bunch of matches of 1 on 1s and they just felt too out of place. Also, even on low, the Smash Balls just show up too often.

Lanttu

Smash Apprentice
I'd say they'd be uber-banned. The ban would be personally approved by God..
Getting some ban approved by some imaginary guy isn't very convincing don't you think?:ohwell:

To topic... I can't see smash balls allowed, ever. We rarely use any items (because of me, rest would like to have them on :p) even when playing FFAs but if we do, smash balls are almost always off.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I think they should be allowed, but they won't because they can tip the scale unfairly in someones favor.
Ah, but they won't. Just simply what you said "can tip the scale unfairly" voids the chance of having them in a "fair" tournament. Since tipping things unfairly would be the core of this argument....basically, you helped prove my point. That they should not be in a tournament.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
They are way too unbalanced to allow in tourney play, heck I don't even like playing with them on when playing for fun, especially if I'm facing a Fox, Falco, Wolf, or Sonic. =/ They get to press B whenever and get KOs left and right but with characters like Peach and Zelda you have to time it just right and position yourself and you still may not get a single KO, not to mention people go right after you so if you're able to press B right away after getting one then that gives you a MAJOR upper hand over those that have to aim and time correctly. <.< Also like somebody said it IS super unfair for Zero Suit Samus. T_T

Top Bottom