• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

May be attending first Tournament soon

Number1MinunFan

Smash Apprentice
I might be attending my first tournament soon, I main Roy, any in-Game and other advice ?

(G-S.N) Chicago Ben

Smash Apprentice
As with playing any low tier character you have to play very defensive against the high tiers and wait for them to present openings. Any low tier main needs to rely on his opponents lack of character knowledge so abuse that as best you can and as fast as you can.

You will lose (Jesus my first tourneyment I went to my 2nd friendly was Zhu of all people and Darrel and PewPewU were in my pools >.<), but take it in stride and ask those you lose to and those better than you what you did wrong. Its a learning experience treat it as such. Also eat before your matches because hunger John's are real. Also have fun!

Last edited:

Number1MinunFan

Smash Apprentice
As with playing any low tier character you have to play very defensive against the high tiers and wait for them to present openings. Any low tier main needs to rely on his opponents lack of character knowledge so abuse that as best you can and as fast as you can.

You will lose (Jesus my first tourneyment I went to my 2nd friendly was Zhu of all people and Darrel and PewPewU were in my pools >.<), but take it in stride and ask those you lose to and those better than you what you did wrong. Its a learning experience treat it as such. Also eat before your matches because hunger John's are real.
Thanks !

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
It might be better to start off trying to play smart rather than fast. Figure out how long the range you have and how long the range the opponent has and work off that. Roy's got long hits like Marth so make the most of that even if it's for small hits.

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Expect to lose, a lot. Treat it as a learning experience though, and really try to ask people for advice. This is a very chill community that takes care of one another, you just have to be a little proactive in approaching people. If you see another dude playing Roy, approach him and ask him to play friendlies. I know it's exciting for me to see someone else using my main, and they'll be more likely to give you more accurate character-specific advice. Be a gracious loser as well; it's very aggravating to play someone who gets visibly salty or johns/complains a lot.

Top Bottom