• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 31, 2014] Rains of Castamere II: Melee and PM Monthly (San Antonio, TX)

RedGamer

Smash Ace
Sounds awesome! This will be my first tournament, but I'm excited to get into the Smash scene. I can bring my own set up, CRT and everything. Is it fine if the PM has custom music? I don't imagine that's a problem, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
I have only one request. No Dreamland Falcon punch remix.
:troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: I'm the reason he says this :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll: :troll:

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Just got out of the lab. Really hype for this now!
I will win Melee!

EDIT: Since 4 cities will be there (Houston, Austin, SA, and CStat) how about at 4 crew single elimination tourney?

Last edited:

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I recently watched Sethlon vs CT | Zero and I may just pick up P:M again.
not this time though, too many responsibilities.

@SouthernGent do you know if you're gonna be able to make it out?

Just got out of the lab. Really hype for this now!
I will win Melee!
EDIT: Since 4 cities will be there (Houston, Austin, SA, and CStat) how about at 4 crew single elimination tourney?
I personally think that the SA P:M crew is Zhea, Xilo Pryce, and the entire brawl scene.

Last edited:

Scuba Steve

Smash Ace
I'm new to tournaments and stuff, what's a counterpick and a gigabowser?
When you lose a match in a set, you get to pick the stage for the next match, and you get to choose what character you're using after the other guy. That's a counterpick. Gigabowser is an easter egg character that is basically just a giant version of Bowser that does a crap ton of damage.

Last edited:

C3R3ALgodOFheroes

Smash Rookie
NNID
C3R3AL
3DS FC
1934-0868-0477
When you lose a match in a set, you get to pick the stage for the next match, and you get to choose what character you're using after the other guy. That's a counterpick. Gigabowser is an easter egg character that is basically just a giant version of Bowser that does a crap ton of damage.
thanks

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
Anyone from DFW going? Id love to go and can throw in cash for gas. also have a small setup i can sit in my lap/ setup to play on ride there.

Zhea

Smash Ace
If you are playing PM and you want to play on wiimote and nunchuck that's cool. However you have to remove the batteries between tournament matches. I will not have a desync system, and I don't want you accidentally screwing up a match while just walking around with the wiimote.

C3R3ALgodOFheroes

Smash Rookie
NNID
C3R3AL
3DS FC
1934-0868-0477
If you are playing PM and you want to play on wiimote and nunchuck that's cool. However you have to remove the batteries between tournament matches. I will not have a desync system, and I don't want you accidentally screwing up a match while just walking around with the wiimote.
got it, figured the battery thing. I don't use the nunchuck, I will be using the classic controller for the Wiimote

RedGamer

Smash Ace
So there will be doubles for pm & melee? If so abilene will be there
This is primarily singles for now. There is a third event that may be run once the first two events finish.
The third event is decided on a "most popular poll" basis, and for now is looking like P:M doubles.
With the way it's looking now, P:M doubles is the event that will be run.
Who knows, maybe we'll have melee low tiers :awesome:

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
This is primarily singles for now. There is a third event that may be run once the first two events finish.
The third event is decided on a "most popular poll" basis, and for now is looking like P:M doubles.
With the way it's looking now, P:M doubles is the event that will be run.
Who knows, maybe we'll have melee low tiers :awesome:
PM doubles all day!! CStat and Austin have developed quite a doubles rivalry, we need to stomp them soon.

Zhea

Smash Ace
As of right now we are running Melee Singles and PM Singles at the posted times. After those have wrapped up, or are getting close to wrapped up(PM Finals) I'll ask people what they want to do. Right now, PM Doubles is the odds on favorite. You and the PM austinites show up in force, you'll have your PM Teams.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
DFW is indisputably the best PM city in Texas, but who takes the silver medal? Houston, San Antonio, Austin, or College Station? I think this tournament will have a large impact on the second place title. Rains of Castamere II. Get hype!!

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No one in SA's Brawl community likes/cares for PM though. I'd probably be the only one who'd go, and even that's iffy. :applejack:

Last edited:

RedGamer

Smash Ace
SOS doesn't practice
LoKo doesn't show up
Nike doesn't exist
PK doesn't care for singles
Brawl crew doesn't care at all
I personally think that the SA P:M crew is Zhea, Xilo Pryce, and the entire brawl scene.
Thus making this statement very true minus the brawl crew, effectively bringing down the SA P:M crew down to two people.

tikobroje

Smash Rookie
I want a crew battle!!

DFW won't be a problem. Many of their top players will be at SKTAR. College Station versus ANYONE!!
im sure me and my austin homies wouldnt mind going 2-0 against CStat!

PM doubles all day!! CStat and Austin have developed quite a doubles rivalry, we need to stomp them soon.
to bad you guys didnt make it out to monthly lot of hype sets hope to see you guys back in austin for a weekly or we can make it out to the monthly you guys are hosting

MoarBit

Smash Rookie
Ack, I wish I had known about this sooner, I have plans on Saturday. I just moved back to the SA area and I'm looking to get involved in the Smash scene. Since it's a monthly I'll definitely try to be at the next one.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
I think the term "monthly" is very very loose here. It's more like a "monthly unless there's another tournament going on that I may or may not attend" kinda thing.

ALRIGHT!!!! I'D LIKE TO MAKE AN ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

If by some (good/bad) luck P:M manages to get 32 or more entrants, payouts may be changed to top 4.
If by a RIDICULOUS amount of bad karma on me I have to run a 64 man tourney, there will be a straight 64 man bracket to save time.
Lets pray to God that doesn't happen, because this is supposed to be a 1 day tourney.

RedGamer

Smash Ace
just realized there are pools. its round robin right?
OMG, there are POOLS?!?!?! yikes.....
I dunno about this, guys.
Naturally, if there are in fact pools then they would be round robin.
If P:M has time and setups then we could run pools.
It saves me seeding time and people get more matches for their money.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
I think we'll be fine with setups. I'll be bringing two on my own. I'm sure everyone else will show up for this with setups considering the hype.

Last edited:

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
I think dragonite got confused because you said if there were 64 or more entrants, then you would run a straight bracket, implying that you would run pools (or maybe some other format) instead. At least that's what I thought your other post meant. I can bring a setup as well, and I think I'd actually be in favor of a straight bracket anyways.

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
As in what are pools? Pools is a format in which contestants are split into smaller groups and only the top players from the pool will be seeded into a double elimination bracket. With a small enough group it's usually done in a round robin style, ensuring that everyone who enters the tournament is guaranteed more matches than a strait double elimination tournament (only guaranteed 2 sets). The only downside is that pools requires more resources (time, setups, etc).

Top Bottom