• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[May 23, 2015] K-oss Memorial Day Weekend Smash Bros. Tournament (Orting, WA)

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Introducing the innaugural Kings of Orting South Sound tournament, AKA...

..."K-oss!"...

...held at and benefitting the Haven Teen Center in Orting, WA, within a beautiful view of Mt. Rainier.

Events include:
  • Smash 4 Singles
  • Smash 4 Doubles
  • Melee Singles
  • Melee Doubles
  • No-cost friendlies/Splatoon Global Testfire(?) for anyone that pays the $5 player fee*
And it's only $5 per event (per team), all the money of which goes toward the 60/30/10 prize pool!

In other words, it's $10 to enter one tournament + $5 for each additional tournament.

If you wish to only free-play, it's $5, but tournament-players will get setup-priority.

Non-playing spectators are free!

The first five for each game to bring setups will get their venue fee waived**, or free entry for a friend (not including tournament-entry). Power-strips are also VERY much appreciated.

We'll be running modified-Apex*** rules for Smash 4, Smashboards-standard rules for Melee.

Changes to rules for Smash Wii U are:

• 3 stocks, from 2
  • 8 minutes, from 6
  • Full-list stage-striking (FLSS) will be considered if the demand is there the day of the tournament.
    • If FLSS does not apply, T&C and Lylat are to be treated as starter-stages
  • Pokemon Stadium 2 and Luigi's Mansion are added as counterpicks, and the winner of game 1 is awarded two extra stage-bans (for a total of four) to cancel them out, if wished. Winner of game 2 is awarded one extra ban (for a total of three) going into game 3, if applicable.
  • Omega Clause: If a non-omega stage is banned, the omega-version of that stage is also banned. If FD is banned, all omegas are banned, as per-usual.
  • I'm allowing Miis to be uploaded to Wii Us from 3DSs at owner-discretion, provided they have no equipment. Customs are banned otherwise (on logistical-grounds).

Parking is available across the street, at Orting Park's lot.

Bring your own controller. Loaners are not guaranteed in any way, shape, or form.

Follow @ Sideslick Sideslick on Twitter for updates on any new or updated information! I will also check my SB notifications obsessively for questions, so ask away!

I, personally, just ask from players to please respect the venue. No drugs, alcohol, tobacco, etc, or showing up under the influence. It's a teen center. Keep it PG-13-ish, please. In general, just use common sense.

And on that less-than-cheerful note, I hope to see you there!

Kings WILL be crowned!

*The "player fee" covers the venue and small equipment, such as extra power-strips, extension-cords, etc. I (the TO) will pocket nothing, so don't worry.

**A setup must consist of a gamecube/wii/wii U+GC adapter, appropriate (patched) game, and an appropriate TV/monitor for waiving of fee. Anything less or not to an acceptable-standard will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the TO and/or appointed-staff.

***http://www.meleeitonme.com/img/Apex_2015_rulebook.pdf section "V."

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Schedule:

1:30 Setup/Doors open for people with setups and miscellaneous equipment

2:00 Doors open for everyone else.

2:30 Melee 2v2 starts

3:00 Splatoon Global Testfire free play(?)*

3:30* Wii U 2v2 starts

4:30* Melee 1v1 starts

5:30* Wii U 1v1 starts

Entries close 15 minutes before bracket-start. Exceptions are to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis, but as soon as the bracket starts, no more entries will be accepted. Period.

*WiFi permitting, Splatoon will be available for free-play until 4:00 for anyone that pays the $5 player-fee. Wii U doubles will commences once that finishes, and everything will be pushed back 30 minutes later.

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I should probably say that Mewtwo is not required to have been purchased for anyone bringing Wii U setups, but I'll probably like you better if the need arises for a setup with him on it.

I know at least two setups should already have him, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
The UO has a tournament on this day and they said they weren't willing to run SSB4, so maybe Oregon can organize a mass exodus and come to this instead :^]

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
The UO has a tournament on this day and they said they weren't willing to run SSB4, so maybe Oregon can organize a mass exodus and come to this instead :^]
Oh no, competition D=

Jk, that'd be amazing if you guys could come up.

It's a small town, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of attendance. With the Smash Twins there, things might get interesting!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oh no, competition D=

Jk, that'd be amazing if you guys could come up.

It's a small town, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of attendance. With the Smash Twins there, things might get interesting!
Yeah, really depends on what the Salem tournament is going to do that weekend since a lot of them enjoy SSB4 they are probably not attending FoF and Oregon could just get together for the Salem weekly and make it a bigger event then usual.
About how many are expecting to show up for your event do you estimate? If it's like 20 I might show up if I can figure out transportation there.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Yeah, really depends on what the Salem tournament is going to do that weekend since a lot of them enjoy SSB4 they are probably not attending FoF and Oregon could just get together for the Salem weekly and make it a bigger event then usual.
About how many are expecting to show up for your event do you estimate? If it's like 20 I might show up if I can figure out transportation there.
I know @Beardbot said he's coming. I also received commitments from a few of my high school friends, recently.

There is a Smash-playing esports club at the local high school, so they are pretty much a guaranteed-element, although I don't know how many members there are. There are going to be flyers up at the school, too.

All in all, I honestly have no idea how many people will show. I think it's gonna be around 10-15, without Oregon.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I know you don't know me, but I'll do my best to make it to this event and bring some skilled people (we are actually tournament-quality players). I've been looking for a local(ish) Smash4 scene since I moved to Washington.
The Salem weekly currently has no plans to hold a Smash4 tournament and it may or may not even coincide with this date since the current one is scheduled for this Sunday and could be scheduled for the following Sunday again. But who knows right now.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I know you don't know me, but I'll do my best to make it to this event and bring some skilled people (we are actually tournament-quality players). I've been looking for a local(ish) Smash4 scene since I moved to Washington.
The Salem weekly currently has no plans to hold a Smash4 tournament and it may or may not even coincide with this date since the current one is scheduled for this Sunday and could be scheduled for the following Sunday again. But who knows right now.
I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you.

And remember: Discounts for people that bring setups!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Can't wait to go!
Mind if I bring a couple of peeps?
If you're referring to the candy, your peeps should stay away. That #! $@'s nasty.

If you're referring to "people", the more the merrier! Just be sure to bring some setups, if possible! We need those!

I want this to be the start of something beautiful. People need to be there for that to happen.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
EDIT: Finally figured it out.

I am Facebook-illiterate. I shared it just now.
Wait, no... I shared it to WA Smash 4.

Bladewise approved my request to join the WA Melee-group, but I can't seem to share the event-page with them. It's not appearing in the drop-down menu when I go to invite a group.

I don't know if other people can share events or not, but if they can, I'm leaving the link here. Feel free to share it (and this page, if we're doing that) literally-anywhere. We need people to be there.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1480830158829138/

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Results thread?
Unfortunately, I don't think I saved the results in TioPro. I think I just closed it out without saving.

It's entirely my fault.

I am very sorry about this. I will not let it happen again.

Challonge is 100% going to be used next time.

Top Bottom