• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Max Grab Punches vs amount of damage needed?

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
I know there were some lists for Melee regarding how long you were allowed to hold a grabbed opponent and at what damage thresholds the duration was stepped up to allow you to hold them longer or do more grab punches on them. Has anyone made a list so far of the same thing for Brawl? Does it vary between characters, or does 30% always equal 2x grab attacks or 3 seconds of grab time no matter what character? (example I just made up off the top of my head, not a fact)

If anyone has any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated so as to help maximize our potential damage with grab punches.

Klixx

Smash Rookie
This would be incredibly useful information

I know for a fact the more damage the character has the more grab punches you can get on them , I do not know the exact timing

Kamano

Smash Journeyman
Aye, it's definitely directly related, but exact numbers would make a world of difference. I find myself using grab punches less often than I should, and often (probably) underestimating the amount I can do when I do use them, so over the course of a match it's probably 20-40 damage lost between all the grabs I do. :(

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
It's not only proportional to damage, but also to button inputs and control stick rotations of the person trying to escape, so it's kind of hard to put an exact number on it. Mew2king's huge SSBM stat list has the specifics in it for Melee, and I assume Brawl works the same way, possibly with different numbers.

Taken from M2K's stat list:

Grab Escape Speed Formula (and the factors that affect it)

The formula for escaping a grab (NOT special grabs, like Bowser's Koopa Klaw) is the following. The variables are, as you probably know, "t" = time(in frames) stuck in a grab, "b" = amount of times victim presses buttons to escape quicker, and "d" = damage of victim.

The formula is...

"t" = "1.6d" + 76 - "6b"

At 0%, without any usage of the analog stick or any buttons, it takes exactly 76 frames (1.26666...) to escape a grab. On average, every damage more an opponent receives, the time they're stuck in a grab is increased by 1.6 frames. Since the game doesn't have fractions of a frame, it goes like this for every 5% an opponent receieves(and then the process/pattern continues). +2 frames, +2 frames, +1 frame, + 2 frames, + 1 frame. That's how it works. I also found that every flash when Mew2 grabs you occurs exactly 24 frames apart(and the 1st one starts on the 3rd frame of the grab), which is the exact same speed as Falco's laser when it's shot on the ground rapidly(except for the 1st shot, which starts on frame 23). Also, here is a general list of what affects escaping a grab by how much.

-----Press A, B, L, R, X, Y, or Z - 6 frames is reduced from the time you'd be held in a grab.

-----Press The Analog stick in 1 of the 4 cardinal directions(angles don't count) - 6 frames is reduced from the time you're held in a grab (24 frames is reduced after 1 complete rotation of the analog stick, so 2 and 1/2 rotations reduces the time by 1 second).
Also, frames when a character is getting hit by grab attacks or other attacks pauses the timer on their escape, making things like Wobbling possible.

Top Bottom