• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchups worth going Mario instead of Doc

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
So guys since Mario is very similar to his Doc clone, it's not that hard for me to adapt from one to the other, and I enjoy playing Mario almost as much as I enjoy labcoat Mario, so I was wondering if it was worth switching to naked Mario for some matchups. Most importantly any top 8 characters + Yoshi, Ganondorf, Ness and Link since for some reason my region (Ottawa+Montreal) has some amazing low or mid tier mains

Last edited:

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I think Mario is better against Sheik than doc. I know Mario can recover pretty well against a dair spike from Marth, while Doc just plain dies.

Definitely Sheik, there might be some trickery against Marth. More importantly, I would choose which to use based on how the opponent plays. If you find it really easy to get in on them and combo them, then Mario might be better, as you'll get more out of your approaches (fair/dair approaches&combos); if the game boils down to mostly neutral, camping, and ledgeguards, then Dr. Mario would be better, because Doc is just plain overall better.

Last edited:

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Mario is better than Doc vs. Sheik, Marth, and Falcon

Doc is better than Mario vs. ICs and Puff

I think other MUs depend a lot on the level of play. At mid to high level, I think Doc outperforms Mario since he just gets so much mileage from his better poke/edge guard game. However, if we are talking about top level (and I am only speculating since there really aren't any "top level" Marios) I think Mario is better in every MU short of ICs/Puff

Last edited:

Kidney Thief

Smash Journeyman
But I don't like using Marth and I'm not sure why you're suggesting I use him since I have no plans on playing a character who's last 5 letters aren't Mario. So far I've been playing friendlies and Doc was better for me for every matchup except 5. Sheik, Doc, Mario, Kid Link and Regular Link. The ones who I felt I benefited the most going doc would have to be Ganondorf, Yoshi, Fox and Jigglypuff

1MachGO

Smash Ace
But I don't like using Marth and I'm not sure why you're suggesting I use him since I have no plans on playing a character who's last 5 letters aren't Mario. So far I've been playing friendlies and Doc was better for me for every matchup except 5. Sheik, Doc, Mario, Kid Link and Regular Link. The ones who I felt I benefited the most going doc would have to be Ganondorf, Yoshi, Fox and Jigglypuff
Sorry, meant to say Mario, fixed it for ya

a rookie

Smash Ace
I would say Doc would be good vs Ganon and Jiggs since he has an insta kill on jiggs(dthrow fair) and can edgeguard Ganon even easier than Mario w/ his bairs(sends him farrrrrrrrrrrrr lol). I think Mario would be fine vs Ness, Yoshi, and Link since he combos a little better than Doc w/ his uptilts.

Top Bottom