• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup vs. Olimar

DaiAndOh

Smash Ace
So I was at a tourny today and took 2nd, did pretty well overall but one thing...I mainly lost to an Olimar player. It's quite confusing, and he's so small, sometimes my sh PK Fire goes over him. All the Pikmin on the screen were quite confusing too. Anyone have some tips for beating Olimar in general? Lucas specific or otherwise.

Malk

Smash Champion
I've been playing with a pretty good olimar so here is what i've found:

Don't get above him and close distance fast

After launching a PK Fire (be careful not to be above his head - it's possible to get it lower) move in quickly after it. His grab combos are deadly so be aware that if you're on the ground anywhere near him he is probably throwing a pikmin at you to grab. Since you don't want to be in the air much against him (unless he's in the air at about the same height) spot dodge the grabs and get him with your own grab, a forward tilt, dash attack, or smash (down or over)

make sure to never let him back on stage. Simple edgehogging does the trick, and up b to annoy him when he's still way out makes the ledge guard even more fun.

And just to reiterate, don't get above him! Only real exception I can think of is to downair or neutral air out of your shield if he's on you.

.kR0

Smash Journeyman
Olimar is hard to fight against with anybody since he's so **** small and you don't really know what he's doing half of the time.

Rely on your smashes, dair/nair/bair. Your fair will usually whiff giving the Olimar enough time to punish with a grab/dsmash. Jabs work wonders when you close distances and/or feel pressured up-close. PKfire can stop his thrown pikmins in midair which is nice. You can also decently gimp Olimar's recovery by edgehogging and him being light makes him an upsmash target.

Your tilts are good but he'll outrange you majority of the time. Ftilt at mid percentage is a safe tilt for you to do.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
All the Olimars I've gone against have done pretty well but I only lost once or twice. It was on New Pork City and I was in a 2 vs 2 both times. DO NOT GO AWAY FROM THE FIGHT TO FIGHT OLIMAR! HE IS ******* TOO SMALL AND YOU CAN'T SEE WHAT THE **** HE IS DOING!!!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
In fighting Olimar, I've had a little difficulty. He tends to hide out and spam throws at you to rack up percentage and goad you in to approaching, at which point his downsmash comes out of nowhere and sends you flying.

Tips:
Try to dodge, shield, or reflect his Pikmin. Reflect is especially good, as it then racks up damage on HIM, and he won't be expecting it.
Edgeguard and edgehog. One of Olimar's biggest weaknesses is his recovery.
Spam your own projectiles to kill thrown pikmin and rack up your own damage. PK fire works nicely for this.
Try to get him above you. Olimar's only downwards move in midair is his rather weak and short-ranged dair, making him easily juggled by Uairs, Utilts, PK thunder/freeze, and the fatal upsmash.
Olimar needs to be on the ground not at an edge to refill his pikmin supply. Try to keep pressure on him and pick off those thrown at you when opportune. Don't give him time to rearrange his pikmin, refresh his load, plan out what he is doing. However, he will have time to pluck six in his starting invincibility, so don't try to harass him then.

Top Bottom