• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Survey

SirReal97

Smash Rookie
Hi Pika fans! If you're bored and would like to help me out, it would be great if you could fill out this survey. The survey asks for your opinions on how Pikachu fairs against each of his/her MU's.

https://goo.gl/forms/j0eGhpedGB8NGvM72

The first number represents Pikachu. The second number is the other character. You are not required to vote for matchups you feel you are not experienced in.

Last edited:

FakeSnakeJake

Smash Rookie
FakeSnakeJake FakeSnakeJake In what universe is peach pikachu 80-20?
Pikachu has a hard time approaching Peach and gets punished really hard if you do. I know we have a thread about the matchup, but imo, it sucks a lot as anything you do is crouch canceled into down smash. Don't get me wrong, if you can outplay your opponent, it's possible, but it's just so difficult.

_trix_

Smash Apprentice
FakeSnakeJake FakeSnakeJake crouch cancelling doesn't work past 30% vs pikachu. Upair past 30% causes peach to fall on the ground in a no tech state, then you can just turn around jab jab jab fsmash and she's at 65% and offstage. Also upsmash oos is garunteed vs downsmash, although it can be a little bit difficult. And if you ever get hit by a downsmash, you should only get hit by one hit of it if you DI correctly.

Last edited:

atara

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure that most people are going to be able to fill this out very well... I think if you've never taken a tournament set with Pikachu you probably don't have very well-formed opinions.

That said I filled it out even though I never have so what do I know? Lol

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu has a hard time approaching Peach and gets punished really hard if you do. I know we have a thread about the matchup, but imo, it sucks a lot as anything you do is crouch canceled into down smash. Don't get me wrong, if you can outplay your opponent, it's possible, but it's just so difficult.
Work on your item game. I guarantee that if you dont approach a peach they'll start throwing turnips. If you catch one it becomes so much easier to find a way in.
Pikachu is more threatening than peach with a turnip in hand because hes much more mobile, allowing him to avoid peaches turnip and letting him convert off the turnip from a larger distance.
More likely they will sit in shield as peach lacks mobility, especially vertically. Obviously they cant stay in shield forever because their shield breaks eventually. So if someone shields you know for a fact that theyre gonna use an OoS option, the question is when. When you have an item you can cover an OoS option without committing and can still possibly get a followup.
Alternatively you can thunderjolt(b moves are still available when holding items) from a distance so that they wear out their shield. keep in mind that you have to be far enough that they cant roll in to punish thunderjolt(yes its that laggy).

atara

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately OP hasn't posted in a very long time, so I don't know if we will ever see the results of this survey. In fact, this thread was the last thing he ever posted.

I could re-create the survey if people are interested.

One problem is that it's very hard to have an objective rating system for matchups: what does 45-55 even mean? What is perfect play? So I wanted to use "canonical" matchups to define what the ratings are. My thoughts:

Fox vs Sheik is the canonical +1
Fox vs Puff is the canonical +2
Puff vs Peach is the canonical +3

I picked these three matchups because they're very played out at the highest level so we know a lot about them. But maybe they're not the right choices?

Top Bottom