• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup problems with Luigi (And Samus too now), any help?

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
Time and time again, I find my Pichu getting ***** by Luigis in particular, it can hold its ground against pretty much any other character. Those enormous WD's tend to outrun me, the aerial priority destroys my airgame/juggling, etc, which is where I get most of my combos. WD -> upsmash destroys my Pichu the second I reach a decent level of damage. Not to mention, I accidently did dthrow at 0% once and got sex kicked, my point being that move comes out way too fast. This matchup leaves a worse taste in my mouth than a gallon of tabasco!

Any general advice on short-circuiting the green machine?

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here goes:

This matchup is indeed very hard for Pichu. Definitely one of his hardest matchups.

You'll want to avoid his Aerial attacks because if his huge priority. Remember: ANY of his aerials own ALL of your aerials in both range an priority, except your U-air, which will trade hits. That's why you create openings, which is what mindgames are used for. Imagine a Luigi jumping up and planning to attack you from the air.
You don't: Try to attack him when he can throw out any aerial anytime (that nair really does come out quick)
You do: Trick him into attacking.
You either: Do a quick empty shorthop, making him think you´ll attack, so he´ll attack too.
You evade the hit and attack him in his lag.
Or you: Do nothing/dashdance a little for confusion. When he's coming down with his aerial to hit you, dash away to evade and dash back to counterattack/grab. This should work, considering the very little momentum Luigi has while moving forward in the air.
OR you: Think up your own mindgame/manoeuvre. This is only 1 of thousands situation a smash match can get you into.

His Wavedash is annoying. His smashes beat the crap out of you and kill you at barely 85 percent (rough estimate). Avoid this, and punish. It's hard, I know but there's really nothing else you can do against it besides avoiding and punishing. Don't try to shieldgrab his smashes. Jumping out of shield with an aerial is often useless too, as he moves too far out of range to get hit most of the time.

Edgeguarding his recovery is hell. Just try it, it's pure evil. It's one of those recoveries everyone can edgeguard pretty easily, except for Pichu ._.

You might be able to combo him, but not with U-air. Nair works like usual.

The conclusion is really to play smart, it's VERY hard to punish a Luigi who spaces good for making mistakes, especially when you're Pichu. . It's quite impossible to beat a great Luigi player like uhm....Drephen with Pichu. In a tourney match, I'd advice you to pick Pikachu. A lot better choice against a Luigi.

I probably forgot some stuff, but whatever. Hope it helped ^_~

T0MMY

Smash Master
NGCXX is pretty much right on. A good Luigi will probably **** your Pichu.
I hate that matchup as well, and, until I play Ka-Master more I won't be able to give you too much advice.
However, here is some limited advice, because it's better than "you're doomed."

Aerial attacks are actually useful, mostly the U-air and F-air. But the trick is you have to play smarter, react faster, and time everything perfectly - otherwise even a sloppy Luigi will have a huge advantage on you.

To edge-guard him, shoot Thunderjolts at him, which will drag him down more than knocking him upwards. When you can get one in, D-air him on his recovery. This should score a KO near the edge of the screen.

When you are about 80% just run and spam Thunderjolts because next hit will probably KO you, hahaha.

I'm lucky enough to get to play both Ka-Master and Ultra-Luigi, but never very often. Next time I play either of them I'll do some extensive Pichu matches with them (instead of the Mario vs Luigi friendlies).

MuseLives

Smash Journeyman
Enjoying some leisurely chaos...in New Jersey
Okay, thanks guys. I knew just trying the matchup that it was one of his worst, but this is helpful. I'm going all Pichu in a tournament tomorrow, and I've been destroyed by a particular luigi main that'll be there so much. Hopefully by keeping your advice in mind I can have at least a fighting chance if I run into him in the bracket.

Also: Do you think slowing down the pace a little might help me be more calculative, or would giving him breathing room be more detrumental than the benefits?

Thanks T0MMY and NGCXX

Edit: Somehow I beat the Luigi keeping these things in mind, but it wasn't anywhere near easy. One of the matches went to super sudden death, lol [/DL64]. Then I got 4-stocked once and 2-stocked twice by a samus later on :( Any advice on that matchup?

T0MMY

Smash Master
I don't know which one I hate worse, Luigi or Samus. I'll have to go with saying I hate playing against Samus more. The last time I played against a good Samus with Pichu was a teams tournement and I was falling asleep I was so exhausted, but almost won anyway, but I don't know just how effective I was at handling anything at that moment, haha.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, Samus is a nightmare as well. Doesn't die. ah well, I guess it's pretty obvious. Just don't play Pichu against Samus :p Unless your brother plays Samus.

Btw T0MMY :O Is your name really Tom and your bro's name really Tim? That would be so awesome XD

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Btw T0MMY :O Is your name really Tom and your bro's name really Tim? That would be so awesome XD
Yes, it is.

And the Luigi vs Kirby matchup is probably just as bad as for Pichu... maybe worse because Kirby doesn't have Pichu's speed nor option to spam Thunderjolts when self-damage isn't an issue.

My advice is to play very defensively and move in only when you know you won't be hit with one of his nearly-broken aerials. Actually, Luigi's N-air is broken... or at least bent very badly. If it doesn't sweet-spot, he can combo you into a stronger aerial, and if it is sweet-spotted, it will likely kill you off the top. Kirby is a tad heavier than Pichu, so it's even more likely to kill you off the top.

I notice t0mmy catches Luigi players often with a well-spaced u-tilt. That sucker has a long reach considering it's Pichu's stubby tail.

Top Bottom