• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup export: Mario

Rizk18

Smash Lord
I don't know if I am allowed to make this thread but I think we should discuss Mario don't you?

I know nothing of this MU so discuss away please.

:fox: vs :mario2:

KEY POINTS

Advantages

Disadvantages

Summary
-It's a battle between a fast speedy Fox and plummer who shoots fire!

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game:
Ground Game:
Approach:
Defense:
Camping Game:
Edge Game:
Surviving:
Killing:
Frame Data:
Stages

Stage Striking
* Fox Strikes
* Mario Strikes
* Fox/Mario Bans
* Mario/Fox Counterpicks

Matt07

Smash Master
I'll try this, lol.

KEY POINTS

Advantages
- Fox can kill a lot earlier than Mario can.
-Fox can easily make Mario approach with Lasers.
-D-air is useful vs Mario's recovery.
-Has better attacks to rack up damage.
-Has better range.
-Better ground/stage control.

Disadvantages
-Mario can gimp Fox with FLUDD, and Cape if the Fox isn't careful? (I never see spacies gimped, so...)
-UpB OOS, beats everything Fox has because of invincibility frames, however with good SDI, and lower % you can punish him for it.
-Mario beats Fox in the air in my opinion. I can only really see f-air being effective vs us.
-Fireball's can be annoying.

Summary
-Basically Fox wants to laser Mario to rack up damage, and keep him out with aerials, and grabs. We want to stay inside of your shield/range because we rack better damage, however we can camp as well, but its definitely not as effective as laser camping.

IN-DEPTH DISCUSSION
Strategy & Match-Up Mentality

Aerial Game: Mario is going to pressure with d-air, space with b-air. And use u-air at low percents for juggling purposes, and n-air for offstage kills/gimps. Fox will be mainly using d-air, and f-air. D-air can easily poke Mario's shield leading into a free up-smash (:/ lol), and f-air to punish Mario's weaker aerial range. Also Mario will be using plenty of Fireball's, they're much safer to use in the air then ground.

Ground Game: Fox should be using forward tilts to keep Mario out (it's very quick), and forward smash to punish Mario's lag, or any spacing mistake. Also jabs are very good for racking up damage, and they have low lag(?) Mario's gonna be using Jab Cancels -> D-smash for good damage, and a potential early kill. U-tilt will be used for anti air purposes, or for juggling at low %'s. F-tilt can also be used, but its not very often.
Approach: Mario will be approaching mainly with d-air, or Fireball into any aerial that's not f-air unless they're feeling lucky xD. Fox should be using Lasers, and FF d-air since it's difficult to time the up-smash for hit to go through d-air.

Defense:
Mario has good options OOS such as UpB, and Upsmash (both of which have invincibility frames) Mario can use Cape to reflect some Lasers, his grabs aren't that good, but d-grab can lead into some juggles, if you're at lower percent. Fox has quick moves such as u-tilt, a better grab game, and Lasers to force an approach. I think Fox wins this.

Camping Game: Fox wins this, because Lasers are amazing O_o. Mario can Fireball, again they're annoying Powershield them, or use Reflector as a mix-up. Just don't be predictable with how you handle Fireball's are Mario can punish.

Edge Game: Mario wins this(?) Fox has to be careful on the ledge, because Cape can score really early kills, however, Fox can drill Mario should he choose to recover too high and if he has no DJ he's screwed.

Surviving: Fox should be living longer than Mario. Mario has trouble landing kill moves. However Fox is a bit lighter so our moves will KO a bit earlier.

Killing: Fox should be using Up-Smash, very effective, and can cover a lot of Mario's options, Fox should have no problem killing at all. Mario will be using Jab Cancelled d-smash, and Stutter Step F-smash to punish spacing errors.
Frame Data: That's best up to A2ZOMG :).

Stages

Stage Striking
* Fox Strikes: Same as Mario's, in my opinion both excel on the same stages, however I would go FD for a neutral if Mario doesn't strike it.
* Mario Strikes: Yoshi's Island, Lylat, and PS1?
* Fox/Mario Bans: Fox should ban Rainbow Cruise, Mario should be banning Halberd.
* Mario/Fox Counter-picks: Fox should be taking Mario too Halberd, or other stages where he can score low % KO's, or FD. Mario should be trying to exploit Fox's KO opportunities, and his offstage game, personally I'd go either Rainbow Cruise, or Castle Siege vs Fox...

Anyways, I'm sorry if some of my info is really off, especially concerning Fox :urg:, and for making you guys read through all of this O_o, and too the Mario guys, cause they know how bad I am at this xD.

Top Bottom