• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion: Ryu/Ken

Nubby

Smash Cadet
Any advice for the MU against Ryu/Ken? What should Mario be doing in neutral? Just advice honestly would help!

Guljy

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 3601 9213 6336
Honestly I just recommend
Any advice for the MU against Ryu/Ken? What should Mario be doing in neutral? Just advice honestly would help!
shielding as they attack and then using short hop aerials, honestly I stink at the matchup too so take what I say with a grain of salt

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Due to their shield pressure, and spacial coverage; But also their very telegraphed jumps and approaches, this is one of the prime matchups you want to dash dance. A LOT.

Or in general just use your mobility.

Do not make a habit of approaching yourself, or charging FLUDD.

At least that's my running theory. I personally never liked this matchup, especially since Mario's style of edgeguarding isn't super effective vs them. (FLUDD is useless vs Tatsu, just gives them added height. Focus beats backair. They're hard to 2-frame due to the fat ledge-snap hitbox)

I do like spaced, grounded fireballs since it's actually very effective at 2-framing/harassing them. As they also lack the pure air mobility to avoid them easily, and their ledge snap is very hurtboxy. Plus if they go high, we're better equipped to punish with dair/sjp/cape, or even FLUDD if they try to focus through.

It mostly only maintains advantage and racks on hella percent, but I think it's optimal. Losing stage control vs these guys trying to edgeguard them, or even just getting reversal'd by focus/shoryu is just not worth the rare edgeguard.

This also pairs well with the 'dash dance' neutral since you're gonna be getting a lot of dash attacks, and the fireball harassing is pretty much the only consistent reward off that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom