• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion: Mega Man

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
upload_2015-1-19_20-28-6.png

Mega Man

Specifically, the following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/bait your opponent
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • What moves to avoid
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall matchup ratio

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
So, as you guys know, Pit is a punish character. Personally, how I play against Pit, is to zone him a bit with short hopping lemons, metal blades and the occasional sticky bomb. I never want to rush into Pit, because Pit is a punishing character..and I mean PUNISHING for Mega Man. If Pit grabs Mega Man at the start of the match, that's a free down throw > up smash for him.

I try not to rush into Pit, but if I see a punish during the start of the match, I'm going to grab him > down throw > Fair most likely. If a Mega Man likes to use down throw into Uair, Pit can easily just jump out of it. I also suggest not using Pit's shields until you see a side-smash from Mega Man. Using it against something like a saw blade is most likely asking Mega Man to punish with a grab. Also, for some reason a lot of Pits seem to have trouble grabbing me.. I don't know why, but they always seem to grab past me accidentally.

Pit's arrows get extinguished by lemons, BUT they do go over metal blades I believe.

The best advantages that Pit has against MegaMan is his punish game. Mega Man's smashes are extremely punishable, but watch out for up smashes, they have a bit of a vacuum if you fly too closely to him, but if you catch him doing it, feel free to forward smash him or down smash him. Also, do NOT use Pit's side B at high percentages unless you know for SURE that Mega Man's going to get hit. Doing this while MegaMan's blocking is unsafe and will uppercut you and take a stock off you at as early (I believe) as around 90% or higher.

Both MegaMan and Pit have pretty good aerial game, but depending on who strikes first + spacing will also decide who gets hit. Mega Man's Bair seems to have quite a bit of priority on Pit's attacks, but if Pit uses his fair first, Mega Man should get hit. Both MegaMan and Pit's fairs are really weird when used at the same time and sometimes it'll leave you asking yourself, I wonder why that didn't hit? Other times you'll get the hit against MegaMan. Also, this has happened to me quite a bit, but if a MegaMan's flown off stage by a f-smash, but isn't dead, try to hit him with an arrow, it could send him into the blast zone.

So let me sort this out a little.

Pit Strengths
  • Well timed airs
  • Well timed punishes
  • Speed
  • Foot stools
  • Good "In Your Face" attacks
  • Well timed shields can punish Mega Man's side smash and U air
Pit Weaknesses
  • Trouble with getting zoned
  • LEMONS LEMONS LEMONS
  • Whiffed dash grabs/pivot grabs
  • Side B can be punished with a shoryuken
  • Mistimed shields can be punished by grabs
Overall match up ratio is about a 5:5 I'd say.

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
As someone who plays both characters but never experienced the MU ( would it be the Regular or the Edgy Pit ), I think neither has a clear domination on the match.

The Pits have got some serious speed, which can effectively turn bad for Mega Man if he whiffs anything, and both Pits' air games are good in close range. They should also be able to get lots of follow-ups from their throws since Mega Man is a pretty heavy character.

Now, the thing is that Megaman can somewhat lock the Pits in mid-range : the Mega buster has some decent range & knockback (not deadly unless he hits blank-point Nair), Metalblades can cripple the Pits, Fair & Bair have good range, Uair is somewhat dangerous (it has an awkward upward windbox) and while offstage Dair can steal games hard. What's more, the arrows usually get canceled by lemons unless angled, and Guardian Orbitars aren't truely safe because of their kinda long startup & endlag, leaving SideB as a last option, and it does its job pretty well since th reflects projectiles and has Super Armor.

I believe the post above says everything I feel like in this MU IMO...

PS : Mega Man can still use his 2nd jump after his UpB's if he kept it, so arrows won't always work :ohwell:

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Doing this while MegaMan's blocking is unsafe and will uppercut you and take a stock off you at as early (I believe) as around 90% or higher.
85% in training, 67% with rage (numbers for FD).

Greward

Smash Lord
yo Mega Main here. Pit is one of my second mains (actually he's the one I play to avoid the Mega Man dittos) and there's a great Pit player in my region so I know a lot about this matchup.

Pit has real problem when getting edgeguarded or juggled by Mega Man. If we get a grab in we can easily follow that up and get a lot of % or even a kill. Bair as edgeguard kills super fast and pit mediocre air speed means we can get them.
A lot of pits like to recover with side B and we can punish that by either hitting Pit's head with a hard knuckle or by throwing a projectil to him, make him deflect it, then punish the lag with an aerial.

Pellets aren't really annoying for pit because he can get in between them even when hit by using his insanely good dash attack. Dash attack will pick up the metal blade and outprioritize pellets if done correctly and mega man has a hard time landing against Pit so its a truly good option. Actually Mega Man has a lot of trouble in this matchup on the neutral game, and kind of relies on his superior juggle / edgeguard game over Pit to take it.
Pit's side B is risky but it's super good as a counter to our dash grab approach and to our landing. If we do shield it tho we can punish it hard so don't use it a lot in Neutral game.
If you are afraid of MM up air down B is a good option. Reflected uair can really deal a lot of damage to Mega Man.
Mega Man has some troubles against Pit's Nair and 3x Jab because of them being super fast and having good range. Dsmash is also good there since it'll beat everything but shield.
Mega Man is heavy so Dash attack - up smash or Down throw - upsmash will work until mid range %. Dair out of shield isn't very good against Mega Man except for punishing crossup dtilt.
Leaf shield can stop up smash so be wary of that.

Edgeguarding Mega Man as Pit is risky but you can try it. If he gets hit with no jump Mega Man below average recovery probably won't be enough to come back. The thing is if you miss the edgeguard Mega Man can have his time to go with the Bair wall of pain so that's why I say it's risky.
While Mega Man is going for the edgeguard with bair, if you hit him with an arrow he will turn around and be limited to his low kill power Fair, so it's a chance.
Pit is better than dark pit in this matchup because of better arrows and Side B being a reliable kill move.

Mega Man will truly look for the grab in this matchup and try to juggle while playing a pellet / metal blade neutral game. Going into the air as pit isn't a good idea against Mega Man because he has superior aerials in Fair and Bair. Stay grounded, do a lot of dash attack and nair and Pit will work out in this matchup.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
@ Greward Greward Very informative post you have there. After reading everything you just wrote, I'll defiinitely incorporate that into my future game against @ RamenKing1 RamenKing1 .

After reading the comments, I'm going to base this matchup 60-40 in Pits favor (if you play the matchup correctly and not get too hasty). If you guys agree, please click the like. If not, then speak up!

RamenKing1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Samakoph
3DS FC
0688-5616-9231
Hehe, I've improved some more @ CHOMPY CHOMPY ! I finally got 2 stocks off M2K, one with a shoryuken as well ;P

Yong Dekonk

Smash Apprentice
Watch out for this specific combo from Megaman: Down throw (at low percents) to fair followed by (and this part is key to its effectiveness) falling backwards slightly then buzzblade (whatever it's called) into another grab.

This is like a chain grab if you don't mash jump after getting hit with the fair because if you land right away you have to shield the blade. Then he can grab you again immediately after the blade hits your shield.

There are a lot of mediocre mega mans out there in FG but don't let that trick you. Megaman is seriously good in the hands of someone who knows how to be unpredictable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom