• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Discussion - Ike

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX
Ike

For General Info.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=170241

Pros and Cons to this overlooked matchup. Discuss!
Will update front page accordingly​

Pros
  • Camping
  • Speed
  • Off Stage Game
  • Mirror Shield (For Ike's recovery options)

Cons
  • Ike's Jab Cancel to rack damage
  • Kill power under 100%
  • Dair Spike through stage
  • Can SH fast fall Fair and hit Pit before he sweetspots the ledge with WoI

Bans/Counter Picks
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886

Matchup Info.
Basically, you want to stay AT LEAST the length of one Bowser away from him. This ensures he's out of range and punishable on block. From this distance, you force bad movement and punish accordingly.

At 0%, you can fthrow him 2 times into stutter-stepped Fsmash. It's a free 40% so why not?

This is one of very few matchups where Pit actually wants middle stage positioning. You're basically attempting to force him off-stage and get the mirror shield gimp. It seems easy, but practice it against CPU's a few times, because it can be messed up.

Also, 90% of ALL Ike's spotdodge > jab, correct? Utilt it. You have frame advantage and it will overwhelm him.
Ike has two recovery options, aether and quickdraw.

Aether is the preferred recovery method, and most Ike players prefer to drift back to below stage level to use it. Judging from what I've seen is that when Pit players hear of Aether, the thought of Mirror Shielding comes to mind. At this point, most Ike players in the match-up would resort to using a reverse aether to grab the ledge.

Quick Draw isn't used often due to the vulnerability after using it in the air, and how it easily broadcasts the move. Because it's a physical move, it is susceptible to being reversed via Mirror Shield. But just because the move isn't used often, it's still possible. As a Pit player I wouldn't wait up on Mirror Shielding it depending on his altitude. If an Ike player actually resorts to using it, I would assume that he/she already used their second jump so an arrow should suffice.

Ike's dead zone off stage are the lower corners where neither Quick Draw or Aether are of any use.

As for Jabs, DI'ing away isn't the best course of action, because what triggers the jab-loop with Ike is if the second hit of the jab misses while the A button is being held it restarts the whole Jab sequence. Something that seems to work best for me is DI behind him.

That's all I can think for the moment while taking notes in psychology. I'll be back later on.

One more thing, the link provided was for an old outdated guide. For better reference I recommend "Kirk's Everything Ike Guide"
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143306

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Pros: Camping, Speed, Mirror Shield > His recovery options

Cons: HOLY **** I DIED AT LIKE 80% WAT, Dem Jab Cancels, Can spike you off the ledge with dtilt.

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
Ban Delpino. Ikes have nasty tricks on this stage. One is the fact that they can spike you through the bottom from atempted recoveries.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
They can also spike with dair thru normal stages... it happened to me yesterday on smashville... i cryed a little inside :,(

Esca

Smash Champion
Basically, you want to stay AT LEAST the length of one Bowser away from him. This ensures he's out of range and punishable on block. From this distance, you force bad movement and punish accordingly.

At 0%, you can fthrow him 2 times into stutter-stepped Fsmash. It's a free 40% so why not?

This is one of very few matchups where Pit actually wants middle stage positioning. You're basically attempting to force him off-stage and get the mirror shield gimp. It seems easy, but practice it against CPU's a few times, because it can be messed up.

Also, 90% of ALL Ike's spotdodge > jab, correct? Utilt it. You have frame advantage and it will overwhelm him.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Ike has two recovery options, aether and quickdraw.

Aether is the preferred recovery method, and most Ike players prefer to drift back to below stage level to use it. Judging from what I've seen is that when Pit players hear of Aether, the thought of Mirror Shielding comes to mind. At this point, most Ike players in the match-up would resort to using a reverse aether to grab the ledge.

Quick Draw isn't used often due to the vulnerability after using it in the air, and how it easily broadcasts the move. Because it's a physical move, it is susceptible to being reversed via Mirror Shield. But just because the move isn't used often, it's still possible. As a Pit player I wouldn't wait up on Mirror Shielding it depending on his altitude. If an Ike player actually resorts to using it, I would assume that he/she already used their second jump so an arrow should suffice.

Ike's dead zone off stage are the lower corners where neither Quick Draw or Aether are of any use.

As for Jabs, DI'ing away isn't the best course of action, because what triggers the jab-loop with Ike is if the second hit of the jab misses while the A button is being held it restarts the whole Jab sequence. Something that seems to work best for me is DI behind him.

That's all I can think for the moment while taking notes in psychology. I'll be back later on.

One more thing, the link provided was for an old outdated guide. For better reference I recommend "Kirk's Everything Ike Guide"
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143306

cp2

Smash Rookie
This matchup is for camping, camping a lot, and gimp when possible

ike can't kill well, I dunno what your saying... watch out for his bair and it's all, i survive till 130% on average...

DIing can avoid jab cancelling really well, i don't have problems DIing out of his jab, he has to end it without cancelling to hit me but it still destroys

But ike's range destroy pit, and ike's not slow enough to get a significant advantage

I'd say 60-40 for pit

Nitrix

Smash Ace
MIRROR SHIELD HIS AETHER!!! GOGOGOGO!

This matchup is okay. Ike has scary power but Pit is very good at boxing so that can give Ike trouble.

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
ike can't kill well, I dunno what your saying... watch out for his bair and it's all, i survive till 130% on average...
Now this made me laugh. :laugh:There is enough power behind Ike's moves to kill at earlier percentages (providing that the main KO moves aren't degraded). And Pit is fairly light.

Other than just bair, you would have to be on the lookout for utilt, uair, usmash, ftilt (at higher percentages), and more. The scary thought is that it's possible to jab cancel into these moves, (I personally use utilt and bair).

DIing can avoid jab cancelling really well, i don't have problems DIing out of his jab, he has to end it without cancelling to hit me but it still destroys
DI does help if done in the right direction, if not you might set yourself up with a combo walk.

This matchup is for camping, camping a lot, and gimp when possible

Pretty much the best thing to do. But keep in mind that camping has its limits. Avoid smaller stages or better be prepared for direct confrontation.

But I still believe Pit to have the upper-hand in this match-up.

cp2

Smash Rookie
Ike has good kill moves, it's true, but it's not easy to connect them

ftilt is slow, uair is nearly imposible to hit without platforms, utilt has very short range, but jab canceling into it can make it connect

usmash... maybe, it's easy to see and to avoid, really good to punish dodges or airdodges, but as the rest, its dificult to hit with

I still think that ike can't kill well

Tetsion

Smash Journeyman
If you are going to avoid Ike, what I think I seem to notice is that rolling into an Ike is NO good. Spot dodging leads only to jab spam. So the best thing to do, to avoid it is roll back wards. Of course don't let him take the stage, I noticed he is quite scary when taking the stage. Even though can fight well in the air that forward air is a problem, and being on the edge of the stage vs Ike is one of the worst things i've experienced next to Kirby and Metaknight.

Top Bottom