• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Chart Project 2015 - Calling Lucas Mains!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Hello Lucas boards,

I'm Zareidriel. Over in this thread a guy called Assassannerr made a matchup chart, and asked people to help fill it out. It seems like it would be a cool thing to have. With once glance you could have a rough idea of a matchup. It won't be perfect, but for our first go at it in 2015 we're aiming for "somewhat functional."

So here's what I'm going to do. Go to every Character Discussion board, and ask the folks there if they wouldn't mind contributing. To submit one vote, you'll have to fill out one of these:

////////////******
Bowser
Bowser Jr
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Mr. Game & Watch
Ganondorf
Greninja
Ike
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Luigi
Mario
Dr. Mario
Marth
Lucina
Metaknight
Ness
Olimar
Palutena
Pikachu
Pit & Dark Pit
Peach
Zelda
R.O.B.
Robin
Rosalina
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Yoshi
Zero Suit Samus
Megaman
Pacman
Sonic
Ryu
Roy
Mewtwo
Lucas
Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner
******//////////

Mark each character with a + for a match where Lucas HAS THE ADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a - for a match where Lucas HAS THE DISADVANTAGE
Mark each character with a number 0 for a match you feel is very even.

NOTE THAT I AM ONLY TAKING VOTES FROM MEMBERS WITH Lucas IN THEIR PROFILE BAR. It can be as either "Wii U Main" or "3DS Main". But if Lucas is in neither one of those slots when I count the votes on Friday, Nov 13, it won't be counted.

(Yes, for the avid democrats out there, that means you can vote for one other character as well.)

Like I said, they won't be perfect, and each board will probably be a little biased toward their own respective character. But the results should be interesting regardless.

If this thing is successful maybe we'll do a revised version in 2016.

Thanks very much for participating! We need as many votes as possible for each character so please submit a ballot!

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
If you'd like to vote for Lucas you could put him in your Smash 4 Wii U spot temporarily.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
That's a tough call, at first I wanted to be able to take that as your vote. But because I need all the data from all ~50 character boards to be the same, or else face a nightmare trying to compile it, I'll have to ask you and future voters to type it out. Sorry about that.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
////////////******
Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon 0
Charizard +
Diddy Kong -
Donkey Kong +
Duck Hunt +
Falco -
Fox -
Mr. Game & Watch -
Ganondorf +
Greninja -
Ike +
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede +
Kirby -
Link 0
Little Mac +
Lucario
Luigi +
Mario 0
Dr. Mario -
Marth +
Lucina +
Metaknight -
Ness +
Olimar +
Palutena +
Pikachu -
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach 0
Zelda +
R.O.B. -
Robin +
Rosalina +
Samus +
Sheik -
Shulk -
Toon Link -
Villager -
Wario 0
Wii Fit Trainer +
Yoshi -
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman +
Pacman +
Sonic -
Ryu +
Roy +
Mewtwo +
Lucas 0
Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner
******//////////

Skipped those I don't know anything about.

Last edited:

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
These charts will be extremely inaccurate and bias especially for Lucas. For example. Many players will say Ness will lose a MU because they can "gimp" him or you can combo Falcon, so we beat Falcon.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Yes you are right, and I am aware of the risks and a result that could be completely janky. Call me an optimist but I feel like there's a pretty good chance that it could be semi-semi-accurate. Even if you are skeptical of the project I would appreciate your best vote anyway.

Kodystri

the PK Spamming Lucas Main
NNID
Kodystri
Yes you are right, and I am aware of the risks and a result that could be completely janky. Call me an optimist but I feel like there's a pretty good chance that it could be semi-semi-accurate. Even if you are skeptical of the project I would appreciate your best vote anyway.
My biggest thing is people will put a random number when they don't know the MU at all.

Like they are going to put - For Lucas against Rosalina becuase she can gimp him.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
These are the dangers of running such a poll. If anything it's an opinion poll - a more accurate title would be "How do ____ players feel they do against ____?" Since the game/metagame is relatively new, etc, the results may be dubious or shaky. It might also not reflect "the highest tiers of play" but more of an average across all skill levels. But the more votes we get, the more accurate it will become, from a statistical standpoint.

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken
Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon -
Diddy Kong -
Fox -
Ganondorf +
Ike +
Jigglypuff 0
Kirby 0
Link 0
Luigi +
Mario -
Dr. Mario +
Marth 0
Lucina 0
Ness 0
Palutena +
Pit & Dark Pit -
Zelda +
Robin 0
Rosalina -
Sheik -
Toon Link +
Villager -
Yoshi -
Pacman 0
Sonic -
Ryu -
Roy -
Mewtwo +
Lucas 0

These are the ones that I have played before. I left some out due to MU inexperience.

MrWhYYZ

Smash Journeyman
Mario -
Dr. Mario +
I don't get this, you're not alone in this because I see a lot of people putting Dr.mario below Mario because he is "worse". But how do we lose Mario and then win Dr.Mario? Both will zone, both will pressure with b-air, both has silly N-air. If anything Dr.mario has it easier because Down-B beats tether and Up-B thanks to his huge longlasting hitbox. Also pills can't be absorbed. And Up-B that can punish pretty much anything we do on block kills around 80 if you're unlucky.

But it's similar to people that automatically assume Lucas loses against RosaLuma because Ness does. Even though we all know Ness and Lucas are totally different. (I sure hope so, otherwise I'm not sure if you can call yourself a Lucas main.) Mario, Luigi and Dr.mario, Link and Toon link, Fox and Falco, Marth and Roy(And to some degree Lucina) they shouldn't be compared to each other because even though they look alike, there movesets are used differently in situations that can potentially change match-ups.

Lunacywastaken

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunacywastaken
For Lucas, it is easier to edgeguard Doc since his recovery is subpar in comparison to Mario. His pills bounces quite high and you can reflect it easily since it doesn't travel too fast. This is from my narrow experience anyway, so it's definitely different to yours. I'll try the MU more when I get the chance.

For RosaLuma, even though you can recover from the blast zone, this gives her heaps of time to counterattack by edgeguarding. Lucas has a hard time landing as well, which gives him a hard time against his MU since Rosa has insane KB on up-air. Those are the main pointers. Otherwise I can see Lucas beating Rosaluma in the neutral due to his PK Fire and z-air in certain situations.

By the way I totally agree with you on not comparing semi-clones with each other. Hopefully you understand the message I'm trying to convey.

Sidereus

Smash Rookie
Bowser +
Bowser Jr +
Captain Falcon +
Charizard +
Diddy Kong -
Donkey Kong +
Duck Hunt +
Falco -
Fox -
Mr. Game & Watch +
Ganondorf +
Greninja 0
Ike +
Jigglypuff +
King Dedede +
Kirby +
Link -
Little Mac +
Lucario 0
Luigi +
Mario 0
Dr. Mario -
Marth +
Lucina +
Metaknight +
Ness 0
Olimar 0
Palutena 0
Pikachu -
Pit & Dark Pit +
Peach +
Zelda +
R.O.B. +
Robin +
Rosalina +
Samus +
Sheik 0
Shulk +
Toon Link -
Villager -
Wario +
Wii Fit Trainer +
Yoshi +
Zero Suit Samus +
Megaman +
Pacman 0
Sonic -
Ryu +
Roy +
Mewtwo +
Lucas 0
Brawler
Swordfighter
Gunner

Last edited:

Andy0fAwesome

Smash Rookie
////////////******
Bowser +
Bowser Jr -
Captain Falcon +
Charizard *
Diddy Kong 0
Donkey Kong 0
Duck Hunt *
Falco 0
Fox -
Mr. Game & Watch +
Ganondorf +
Greninja 0
Ike 0
Jigglypuff -
King Dedede 0
Kirby +
Link +
Little Mac 0
Lucario +
Luigi +
Mario 0
Dr. Mario +
Marth 0
Lucina 0
Meta Knight +
Ness ++++ lol
Olimar 0
Palutena *
Pikachu +
Pit & Dark Pit 0
Peach *
Zelda *
R.O.B. -
Robin +
Rosalina +
Samus 0
Sheik +
Shulk *
Toon Link -
Villager +
Wario *
Wii Fit Trainer *
Yoshi -
Zero Suit Samus -
Megaman *
Pacman +
Sonic -
Ryu 0
Roy 0
Mewtwo +
Lucas 0
Brawler *
Swordfighter +
Gunner *
******//////////

I put a * next to the ones I don't know. Meaning that I've never played a good one on FG or irl

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
Voting closes tomorrow at midnight. Get those ballots in!

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
had to semi-guess a few of these...
////////////******
+ Bowser
+ Bowser Jr
- Captain Falcon
+ Charizard