• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup advice for Zelda?

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
Hi.
So I play against a few zeldas online in Project M and I have a very hard time against zelda in pm with luigi. I feel as if luigi's approach options are extremely limited when it comes to this matchup. Luigi can't really approach with fireballs because of nayru, and its just overall difficult. I know to bait nayru and ps it (where an oos option like up b and aerials are good). I also know that luigi has the advantage vs zelda in the air, but even this is hard for luigi because of his limited aerial mobility. I don't think zelda is a cheap character or anything; I think she's a very fair character and fun to play against, but I just struggle with this mu.

I was just wondering, how zelda can be handled with luigi. Thank you.

Last edited:

Boomer3d

Smash Journeyman
I have a friend who plays zelda and she is definetly hard to play against with nayru and fireballs. Also she is so light at mid-percents you can't follow up from a cyclone hit. Here are a couple of things that I try to focus on.

1. Be careful when you fireball. I have the habit of fireballing and then wavedashing in only to get punished by nayru's. Sometimes when I'm feeling trolly I throw a high fireball and then crawl towards zelda. That way I approach and I'm low enough where she can't really hit me with nayru or my reflected fireball. Plus it is always fun to crawl.
2. Back air is a really good tool for Zelda. You can approach with it and it can get through naryu's with proper spacing.
3. Zelda sucks in the air. You should pressure her a lot in the air since she is so floaty and because her recovery has so much startup lag. A lot of the times I can throw-out a fireball, they try to teleport out only to be hit by the fireball and then I forward air them. This can be tricky but very effective.
4. In general chose small stages with close walls, such as Green Hill Zone or Wario Ware. This way it is hard for Zelda to camp you and you get the chop kill earlier. Just be careful of forward air and back air, they can kill pretty early.

That is all I can really thing of Zelda is definetly a hard matchup and you just need to be patient with it.

ThegreatVaporeon1

Smash Ace
That helps a bit, yeah. In the air zelda isn't too bad because Luigi's dair and bair go through nayru's, so I try to challenge her in the air. But the fireball to fair tactic I never really tried while transforming. That's good though. I always go for a punish by timing the transformation but end up failing 80% of the time. Small stages sound good to be honest,although the problem is that she can also kill easily on those stages :s But I wouldn't want to fight Zelda on a large stage such as DL 64.

Yeah Zelda is just one of those characters where it will take a while for the match to be over. I'll use this against the next time I fight Zelda, thanks.

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
I recommend trying to bait out a Nayru by shield sliding and holding the shield til she throws it out. For the Din's, use tilts to get rid of them. Being as Zelda will override most your attacks and punish you really hard, I'd go for a fireball WL and follow up with a crouch crawl if Nayru and utilt (low percent) or Shoruken (high percent) if hit. But yeah, this is a hard matchup.

Top Bottom