• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

match ups

OriginalVillain

Smash Cadet
With marth you have to learn to time his attacks. If you can watch his moves and look for the break in between each sword swing you can hit him and get him into aerial combos. Unfortunately Peach isn't a great matchup against marth because of her light weight and poor range in comparison, but if you fight aerially you have an advantage because his aerial kills are lacking. I just look for openings when he attacks, use a lot of grabs and follow up with float cancelled nairs for kills. Plus marth's recovery is not great and can be hogged/interrupted with turnips.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
With marth you have to learn to time his attacks. If you can watch his moves and look for the break in between each sword swing you can hit him and get him into aerial combos. Unfortunately Peach isn't a great matchup against marth because of her light weight and poor range in comparison, but if you fight aerially you have an advantage because his aerial kills are lacking. I just look for openings when he attacks, use a lot of grabs and follow up with float cancelled nairs for kills. Plus marth's recovery is not great and can be hogged/interrupted with turnips.

looking for openings are good yes but taking marth in the air? im sure marth beats peach in the air at least last time a checked marth has much more prioty than peach although you are right about his aireal kills lacking in killing power excluding his d air. anyway i tend too edge guard and apporch with turnips. turnips can make or break this match especialy while edge guarding him. i also ten to do alot of sheild graping this match especialy whn marth comes in with those double f airs. smaller stages also help both marth and peach seeing as a smaller stage means peach's down smash f air and f throw can kill at lower % on smaller stages.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Like Nica said, turnips are probably Peach's best weapon against the projectile-less Marth.

If the Marth is aggressive in his approaches, a well-placed turnip throws a monkey wrench into the works. He's forced to find a way around the turnip, narrowing his options, and all the better if he takes the hit too. If he jumps out of an all-out run, you're in shield-grab heaven. Enjoy your new throw toy. If you nail a turnip throw properly against an air approach, he'll run into the 'nip no matter what he does. This buys you a few frames of hit stun to close the gap and do your thing or escape if need be.

Turnips are equally strong when approaching Marth. DJC Turnip Throw is my favorite way to penetrate his defense. If he moves or hits the turnip with an attack, keep your distance and ready another. If he shields, spot-dodges, or (better) uses Counter, run right in and take your prize. Wait a moment if he Counters the turnip or you'll set yourself up for disaster. Spacing is everything - stay close enough to keep the pressure on, but not so close that you're vulnerable. If Marth starts a counter-approach of his own, you'll want the time to deal with it.

P.S. Anyone else notice how quiet it's been in here lately?

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
Lots of back airs. FC back airs, DJC back airs, even full jump back airs, depending on the actions the marth is taking.

Also, lots of turnips although be weary of the marth's distance since he can outrun your turnip pull speed and grab/fsmash you.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Pick up sheik.

But peach vs marth--
+Gotta have good spacing and good reading. Use your dash attack here, A good ol' dash dance-> dash attack is better than you would think in this match up. After you get the dash attack, follow up the marth with bair/nair in the air.
+Get the marth off the stage then grab the edge. Marth's UPB is very punishable...force the marth to receive this lag, then punish the marth (dsmash).
+Turnip intelligently. Note spam. Dont dash throw. Try to short hop turnip--use your turnips not for damage but to keep the marth grounded so you can dash attack him.
~Marths will try to counteract this by catching turnips. Learn to catch turnips as the marth throws it back. If the Marth does catch a turnip--rush because marth can't do much as he holds an item.
+ YOU CAN DASH ATTACK THROUGH A MARTH FAIR. ABUSE THIS. MOST MARTHS DONT KNOW THIS.
-Don't Listen to Sh0ckwave. While he is correct about Float Cancelling, you should be doing this in every match up to begin with. Don't DJC too much--doing a nonfloatcancelled attack will only get you shield grab, and if you get grabbed you are dead.
+To avoid getting grabbed, Jab Jab after a float cancel against a sheild, then roll away if neither of the jabs connect with the marth. If the jab connects---follow up with dash attack or at very low percent, dsmash.

Peach needs to think in this matchup. Work in every hit, don't get hit yourself.

Sh0ckwave

Smash Journeyman
dash dances will get you fsmashed if you take too long or shield grab if the marth just waits for the dash attack. mixup dash attacks with grabs.

against marth, rolling doesn't exist after a double jab, you'll get shield grabbed. if the marth is smart enough to wait for the double jab, jab once and then dsmash or grab. some marths might just take their chances and grab before or after the first jab (and surprisingly this sometimes works since marth's grab speed and range are ridiculous). if you want to avoid getting grabbed, just use good spacing with backairs. it has good priority, a bit more range than nair and it's quick, peach's only safe maneuver against fair happy marths.

and actually, there are a few cases where double jump cancels against marth are a good idea. for example, feinting evasion usually works better with djc. bair-ing against marth's shield will almost always get you shield grabbed if the marth sees it coming even if it's fc-ed. if you want to utilize fc-ed bairs for spacing, i recommend fc-ing out of instant floats right above the ground -- apply the same concept as the neutral in the peach pillar -- immediately followed by a downsmash.

Matux

Smash Apprentice
**** I hate marth matches so hard. But I always thro turnips against my opponents it works, and take care not to be grabbed.

I approach with turnips, simply dashattack or mindgamed grabs.

Seriousyl not a really good matchup for Peach.

Me14k

Smash Lord
dash dances will get you fsmashed if you take too long or shield grab if the marth just waits for the dash attack. mixup dash attacks with grabs.

against marth, rolling doesn't exist after a double jab, you'll get shield grabbed. if the marth is smart enough to wait for the double jab, jab once and then dsmash or grab. some marths might just take their chances and grab before or after the first jab (and surprisingly this sometimes works since marth's grab speed and range are ridiculous). if you want to avoid getting grabbed, just use good spacing with backairs. it has good priority, a bit more range than nair and it's quick, peach's only safe maneuver against fair happy marths.
After the marth realizes he can time his sheild grab--start mixing in FC to dash dance and read from there. that will stop the marth from trying to sheild grab inbetween the FC and jabs. After you get him to stop Sheild grabbing early--FC to dsmash, dsmash will poke through and he shouldnt go for grab (ie this is a mindgame---dont take it to work everytime).

Shockwave--most peaches dont know this, m2k actually told me when i was talking to him about the marth matchup....dash attack ***** marth's air game. it goes through fair and it could go under nair. Ill quote m2k---"Dash attack the marth".

Finally--I get the impression that some of us think approaching with a grab is a good idea. Unless you are trying to punish a poorly spaced fair by sheild grabbing--no. Plus peach's grab isn't too great against a marth.

Something ive seen done vry well but I haven't yet implemented in my game---as approaching, crouch randomly and act as if you went to pull a turnip. It works nicely. Watch Mikael vs Ken's marth.

Top Bottom