• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up problems

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell me how to beat MetaKnight? Seriously, he's like Marth! Any tips on this one?

Here's another one: Falco. Yes, i'm having hard time beating Falco because of the fact my damage ratio is always high when i'm being multi-grabbed.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Marth isn't half as bad as Metaknight IMO.

Marth is easily gimped by Mario, and he has slightly more trouble dealing with your Fireballs. He also has a bit of a blind spot below him (as in his D-air is an undesirable attack) and he's a bigger target than Metaknight.

Metaknight however, this matchup is almost as bad as G&W (your worst matchup by the way). Anyhow you pretty much have no excuse not to spam Fireballs when you have space. If Metaknight misses the ledge with his Up-B, DO NOT miss the opportunity to cape his recovery. Unlike Marth, Metaknight doesn't have the same blind spot below him. There is really no point in approaching Metaknight at all, since he's going to call all of the shots anyway. Honestly avoid fighting Metaknight with Mario. It's just a completely terrible matchup. The only other thing I can tell you is keep your U-smash undiminished since it will be your most valuable kill move IMO.

Falco is winnable, since you can ledgeguard him nicely with the FLUDD and **** and you're a bit faster than him, but that's really it. Do your best to take on Falco in the air since he's significantly slower than you there, but his ground game will own yours by a lot. Also yeah, don't get grabbed at really low percents or you will be in a world of hurt.

although you can cape lasers, beware that Falco has a better reflector than you do so you might end up being hit by double reflected lasers if you aren't careful with that.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
A2ZOMG pretty much covered the MK vs Mario fight, just dont do it and you should be alright...

Your greatest strength against falco is the fact that you can ALWAYS gimp him whenever he's off the stage. Fludd can reach him if he tries to sweetspot with illusion, cape his double jumps and upB's, and capeglide -> Uair/Fair if he tries to recover leveled with the stage using his upB. His most reliable KO move is his Fsmash (Usmash on lower ceilings) so keep that in mind when you're at higher percents.

The Master of Mario

Smash Journeyman
For Falco

Mario can duck under Falco's lasers and Reflector and his reflector has lots of lag. U-smash is low enough to avoid the reflector at the end of the move. Cape and Fludd are great at stopping his recovery. Hogging the edge with cape is usually enough for Falco once hit off the stage. Approaching Falco from the Air is fine as long as he doesn't use the reflector in the air. Remember when Mario crouches Falco's disjointed moves can't hit. Unforntunately Mario moves his head so it takes timing to repeatedly dodge lasers but Reflector still doesn't affect even when his head moves. If Falco likes to use Reflector for spacing ducking into a U-Smash can be very effective.

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
That'll help my game with Falco by ducking more often because this really good Falco I faced did use laser quite often. And I would like to hear your insight on MK match-up if that's possible? Master of Mario o_D

Ranjiz

Smash Apprentice
Capedashing is a good approach as well.
That... is interesting approach. I don't quite use cape often as an attack. Gimping/ledgeoff isn't the issue for me. i can kill Falco easily when attempting to spike. What the issue is that I couldn't get out of Falco's multi-grab and annoying combos.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
vs Metaknight

Play defensively. MK has range, priority, combo-ability, speed, recovery, and edgeguarding over you. All that you have to work with is your ability to KO him easily, and chain together some semi-reliable combos between 0% and about 50%. He can gimp you VERY easily with his dair and upB, making his ability to KO you about equal with his. His B attacks are a pain, but recently, while having a few friendlies vs an MK buddy, I found that your Usmash can consistently hit through Metaknight's tornado. Side B is vulnerable to cape, You can KO him around 100% with your Usmash or Fsmash. Nair is your friend when MK's beneath you or approaching, its priority can cancel out his Uair, Fair, and Bair. His B attacks may have low start-up lag, but he's VERY vulnerable afterwards. Take advantage of these moments as MK's B attacks are an integral part of his game. Choose your method of punishment wisely, be it a grab or a spaced Fsmash, you may not be able to attack again for quite awhile. Like I said, this is a terrible matchup, and should be avoided at all costs.

Top Bottom