• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Match-up help against Luigi?

orbsydorb

Smash Rookie
My girlfriend and I play about once a week, she always goes Luigi and it bugs the absolute crap out of me. You can't combo him with any character, so I've run to puff. I'm comftorble playing any character, but she seems my best option, any tips on some rest set-ups or general strategy? Thanks :p
P.S. It's pronounced Orb-Z-dorb

orbsydorb

Smash Rookie
Lol, I thought that might be the answer, it's so annoying that even at 0% up throw will send them so stinkin high.

Thanks for the help c: -Orbsydorb

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Here's some simple things that may help. I have no idea how advanced or skilled you or your girl is, so let me know if this info is too basic

- You can't combo luigi, don't try it. Seriously. Be content with the single hits and retreat safely. This is key
- In general, don't rest luigi. There are few situations in which it is a good idea. Because of his awkward mobility and being floaty, you almost never get rest opportunities so don't try to fish for them at all. If you miss a rest, you'll be up+b killed at low percents.
- Don't let luigi be above you. Ultimately, his dair is a brutal kill move that will out-prioritize all of your options. If you ever launch him up above you, don't try to follow up. If you really want to maintain pressure, do it by positioning yourself horizontally to him.
- Remember that luigi can get a misfire off a side-b, so be cautious when ledge-guarding and stay a bit low so he'll either fall into your attacks or misfire over your head.
- Remember that luigi controls massive amounts of horizontal space on the floor because of his wavedash. Because of this, remember that throwing out attacks isn't as safe as you think it is. Be cautious.
- If you're really playing to win, an effective trick is to just not let luigi play his game. Luigi is great on the ground, but his floatiness makes him very vulnerable in the air. Don't stay level with him: if he's on the floor stay on the platforms, and vice versa. Make him jump around and hunt you down, and then punish him for it

Hope this helps. I have a buttload more information than this about this matchup since my main training buddy is a luigi main, but I kept things brief and simple here because I'm not sure how advanced the info you're looking for is. :)

the wizard howl

Smash Apprentice
can you expand, krynxe? I haven't been able to find much on this MU other than "stop using moves that aren't bair."

TheSleepyLion

Smash Rookie
Do you have any advice on edge-guarding luigi? I've had a lot of trouble because his down-b shenanigans allow him to stall really low then recover.

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
What levels should you ban/counterpick when playing luigi

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, just listen to Hbox. If he has advice on Puff MUs, 99.9999999999% of the time he's probably right lmao

Top Bottom