• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Match Up Discussion - Vs. Toon Link

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:link:

General Rules:

• No Flaming. Respect the opinions of others even if you disagree. Let's not get heated on an online forum for a family-friendly game. Failure to abide by this will result in the wrath of the law.
  • Human error isn't something worth serious consideration. Discussions will assume both characters are being played to utmost potential.
The following are suggested subtopics of conversation:
  • Character strengths and weaknesses
  • How to effectively approach/deter approaches
  • Off-stage game
  • Positional play
  • Punishes/punishing
  • Specific moves/strings that are strong for both characters
  • Suggested custom movesets
  • Stage strengths and weaknesses
  • Overall score [NOTE: THIS IS NOT AS IMPORTANT DURING THE FIRST ROUND OF DISCUSSION]

***For general questions not related to the current topic in this thread please use the General Match Up thread.***

This thread shall last for around 8-9 days, with the next thread opening up in about 5-7 days.

Browny

Smash Hater
If there was only one matchup in the game where I would say using full charge shadowball is essential, this is it.

Mewtwo completely neuters toon links neutral game. As soon as you have a FCSB, you destroy TL's approaching and KO options. The only way TL can reliably approach is via a bomb throw. If he does it from the ground, FCSB destroys the bomb, situation reset. If he does it from a shorthop, the shadowball hits him. Shadowball goes through his zair and other projectiles.

Seriously, if you approach this matchup by only using baby shadowballs, you might as well just put down the controller. Good luck, you're going to get pressured into oblivion and combo'd into KO moves for free worse than anyone else in the entire cast (and by some margin after that).

Toon Links landing options are actually really poor if you can get underneath the arc of a bomb throw, people might not realise that. He covers his landings with projectiles but Mewtwo completely stuffs that with confusion or just getting under him with a dashing usmash.

I feel like Mewtwo wins this.

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
If there was only one matchup in the game where I would say using full charge shadowball is essential, this is it.

Mewtwo completely neuters toon links neutral game. As soon as you have a FCSB, you destroy TL's approaching and KO options. The only way TL can reliably approach is via a bomb throw. If he does it from the ground, FCSB destroys the bomb, situation reset. If he does it from a shorthop, the shadowball hits him. Shadowball goes through his zair and other projectiles.

Seriously, if you approach this matchup by only using baby shadowballs, you might as well just put down the controller. Good luck, you're going to get pressured into oblivion and combo'd into KO moves for free worse than anyone else in the entire cast (and by some margin after that).

Toon Links landing options are actually really poor if you can get underneath the arc of a bomb throw, people might not realise that. He covers his landings with projectiles but Mewtwo completely stuffs that with confusion or just getting under him with a dashing usmash.

I feel like Mewtwo wins this.
I tried to baby shadowball him, only really could hit dash attacks on his landings. I got walled pretty hard, not sure why fcsb didn't come to mind.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo is one of Toon Link's hardest matchups for sure, for things like how well you can mix up your recovery, how well you can catch landings, and of course, Side-B, which lasts for a ridiculous amount of time. It's totally possible to condition a Toon Link to fear throwing his bombs because of it. However to beat it, we have BFO, Bomb Fake-Out, where we throw a bomb, catch it immediately and throw it again, which can throw off our opponents timings. Attacking you will be a mindgame in it of itself, but you easily have a large amount of options, like your beforementioned FCSB. Yeah we have the Hero's Shield, but that's more jank then anything, and we don't have an answer to the more charged balls. Baby Shadow Balls though can be beaten by the bomb, and sometimes go through it too. I don't know the sizes and %'s this works at though, sorry to say.

Edgeguarding is yours, since your disjoint is so large, especially B-air, it's not easy to challenge. And your recovery is quite safe, but is punishable if read correctly. Otherwise, kill confirms are super potent against you, especially Up-Tilt to Up-Air, reliable at KO percents. Harassing Toon Link from afar and forcing him to approach is the way to go.

Top Bottom